Newcastle vs Middlesbrough pre-match thread - 11/05/09 (live on Setanta 8pm)

Dave

We desperately need to play at least 80 minutes of this game in their penalty area. I don't think we have any other choice if we want to score. We need 20 chances to score a couple. If we only manage to fashion out 3 or 4, it's unlikely that we'll win.

Harper

Beye        Coloccini      Bassong        Taylor

Butt

Guthrie

Martins                                              Jonas

Viduka

Owen

For the last two or three months i've past single magpie's on the side of the road, yesterday i pasted two magpie's on the side of the road.

Score 2-0 Owen, Viduka

For the last two or three months i've past single magpie's on the side of the road, yesterday i pasted two magpie's on the side of the road.              

Probably won't help out with the superstition-induced Joy any if you ran them over...  :pow:

Harper

Beye         Coloccini      Bassong        Taylor

Butt

Guthrie

Martins                                              Jonas

Viduka

Owen

Score 2-0 Owen, Viduka

I hope you're fucking right! Otherwise you best shoot them little fuckers next time you walk down that road

Lawro predicts 1-1, can't see that happening, both teams have a penchant for conceding plenty of goals.

And neither of them can score. It's a paradox of epic proportions; i can see the Milky Way imploding or something come 9:30 on Monday night.

To be honest we can win this but it all rests on the team Shearer picks.  He has to play 433 but Jonas has to be in there so we have some legs in midfield a midfield 3 of Guthrie Butt and Jonas would see us ok with Oba, Duke and MO up top.

Agree with that front six, but if Smith makes it I could see him starting ahead of Guthrie again...

Butt is the only player that can play that deep midfield role and Smith was miles better than Guthrie against Pompey.

Do you think Smith is the better player?

As for Butt, i'm not even going to bother, he's been absolutely pathetic all season

Lawro's predicition:

It's the match of the season for both teams - their respective young managers have almost admitted that whichever loses will be relegated.

It will be a full St James' Park and Newcastle will be spurred on by their fans but their problem is that they have no great pace in the side.

Both teams have put themselves under so much pressure to win the game, I don't think either will.

Oba, Lovenkrands, Jonas? ???

Butt is the only player that can play that deep midfield role and Smith was miles better than Guthrie against Pompey.

The whole Smith thing is an illusion. In reality, he's done fuck all since he came back other than a few decent passes in the Spurs game, some dodgy tackles in the Liverpool and Pompey games and a few strikes from outside the box which have flown over the bar.

It's gotta be Guthrie, no question.

Lawro's predicition:

It's the match of the season for both teams - their respective young managers have almost admitted that whichever loses will be relegated.

It will be a full St James' Park and Newcastle will be spurred on by their fans but their problem is that they have no great pace in the side.

Both teams have put themselves under so much pressure to win the game, I don't think either will.

Oba, Lovenkrands, Jonas? ???

It is likely only one of those players will be starting, and even if all three were, it does not make up for the slowest midfield in the history of football. Regardless, I don't see why lack of pace should prevtn us from being dangerous at home when we should have more possession.

I thought Guthrie was better personally. Also, I have more faith in both his potential/consistency than either Butt/Smith. Also, less likely to give away set-plays, get booked, lose possesion.................

Oba & jonas dont even seem that pacey at this point. They have quick feet yes, they can move quite a bit with the ball at their feet. But its never a case of knocking it past the defender and running past them......or making bursting runs that a defender cant keep up with. I dont see it happening. Theyre just pretty good dribblers of the ball.

Not sure how useful jonas is to us anymore. Duff & Butt have provided more of any significance going foward than jonas recently by putting in half decent crosses. He just doesnt give us much end product with what he does.

Lawrenson is right about the lack of pace like. Yes Oba and Lovenkrands are fast, Jonas no he's quick but he doesn't have that extra gear of acceleratio. The lack of pace in our midfield is startling, if we were in mid-table now I'd be giving Lua Lua a go on the right with Duff on the left and giving Ranger a go up front because Owen has no legs now either.

The whole Smith thing is an illusion. In reality, he's done fuck all since he came back other than a few decent passes in the Spurs game, some dodgy tackles in the Liverpool and Pompey games and a few strikes from outside the box which have flown over the bar.

Don't like Smith at all, he's a hopeless footballer. Such is his limitations, he kept things very simple against Portsmouth and kept the ball. I hate the whole graft-over-quality criteria, but at a time where we struggle to string two passes together, Smith was a better asset to the side in that game and kept his place on merit over Guthrie.

I wouldn't be sad to see him dropped, but at the time - keeping him in over Guthrie for Pompey/Liverpool was the right decision imo.

The whole Smith thing is an illusion. In reality, he's done f*** all since he came back other than a few decent passes in the Spurs game, some dodgy tackles in the Liverpool and Pompey games and a few strikes from outside the box which have flown over the bar.

Don't like Smith at all, he's a hopeless footballer. Such is his limitations, he kept things very simple against Portsmouth and kept the ball. I hate the whole graft-over-quality criteria, but at a time where we struggle to string two passes together, Smith was a better asset to the side in that game and kept his place on merit over Guthrie.

I wouldn't be sad to see him dropped, but at the time - keeping him in over Guthrie for Pompey/Liverpool was the right decision imo.

indeed, since our midfield was shite in both games