Fabricio Coloccini

steve_69
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The defence got no protection from midfield either,when we went down.

We didn't need one last season,as Colo found it so easy.

And this year the defence has protection with Cheick.

I would blame Colo's first season on the likes of Butt not protecting them/him. 

He's a proper 'clean shorts' defender like. Quality. He's learnt from where he went wrong in his first season; getting too tight, failing to outmuscle people so now he is playing the traditional South American smallish centre back of reading the game perfectly and using his nouse in one on ones. Actually having a midfield in front of the back 4 instead of nobody last time we went down can't be underestimated either.

Wonder where all the smug pundits are now after writing him off in his first season? One of the best centre backs in the premier now and virtually indestructible as a bonus.

No need for the smug pundits when we've got our own fans...

The Wise signings have been rotten. £10m for Coloccini? Had Bassong not been suspended he’d not have played. Guiterraz? No end product, no goals – a replacement for James Milner and a tidy profit for Ashley?

It seems to be your style to lift posts from eons ago in an attempt to establish a point. It's bullshit. Given the context of whenever that was written, presumably a few months into 08/09, whoever said it was absolutely right. Coloccini and Jonas were gash in the first season.

Eh? He quite clearly hasn't somehow become a new player in 18months and discovered the art of defending, there's been a quality player in there all along, seemingly hampered by a lack of confidence, poor team harmony and some shocking midfield cover.

Many of these things were pointed out by the more reasoned posters at the time, despite the pain of relegation, yet it seems like you'd rather continue to slate those posters who actually support their own players rather than take every available opportunity to slag them off. Sorry, I don't buy into that style of 'being a fan'.

If highlighting the OTT judgements made by our OWN supporters (i.e. those who should be seeing things week in, week out) makes just one person hesitate before booing their team off the pitch (after finishing 5th?) then I'll consider it job done.

I shouldn't have to kow-tow to your defensive sniping. Shame on me for wanting our fans to get behind the team through the rough AND the smooth.

BTW, the quote you referred to wasn't even a post from this board :dontknow:

Wonder where all the smug pundits are now after writing him off in his first season? One of the best centre backs in the premier now and virtually indestructible as a bonus.

No need for the smug pundits when we've got our own fans...

The Wise signings have been rotten. £10m for Coloccini? Had Bassong not been suspended he’d not have played. Guiterraz? No end product, no goals – a replacement for James Milner and a tidy profit for Ashley?

It seems to be your style to lift posts from eons ago in an attempt to establish a point. It's bullshit. Given the context of whenever that was written, presumably a few months into 08/09, whoever said it was absolutely right. Coloccini and Jonas were gash in the first season.

Eh? He quite clearly hasn't somehow become a new player in 18months and discovered the art of defending, there's been a quality player in there all along, seemingly hampered by a lack of confidence, poor team harmony and some shocking midfield cover.

Many of these things were pointed out by the more reasoned posters at the time, despite the pain of relegation, yet it seems like you'd rather continue to slate those posters who actually support their own players rather than take every available opportunity to slag them off. Sorry, I don't buy into that style of 'being a fan'.

If highlighting the OTT judgements made by our OWN supporters (i.e. those who should be seeing things week in, week out) makes just one person hesitate before booing their team off the pitch (after finishing 5th?) then I'll consider it job done.

I shouldn't have to kow-tow to your defensive sniping. Shame on me for wanting our fans to get behind the team through the rough AND the smooth.

BTW, the quote you referred to wasn't even a post from this board :dontknow:

Yorkie, you'll never be as good as fan as Stu, I recommend you defect to Leeds or Hull or something.

Actually, go on then. I'm just a glutton for wumming and enjoy making you look like a douche. :razz:

My first post in this thread:

Refuse to believe there isn't a good player somewhere inside him. I know there is because i've seen it.

But meh, fuck it. It's pointless even debating that now. He was fucking wank.. fucking woeful for the vast majority of the season and probably one of the key culprits (players-wise) for why we're relegated. Center-back is such a crucial position - we as Newcastle fans know that for a fact - and he was worse than shit for the majority of the season. He'll be gone (back to Spain i would have though), and we'll probably never hear about him again, Luque-stylee.

I don't even disagree with you. It's just your slating of opinions with the benefit of hindsight i've got a problem with. It's a nonsense.

Classic example of a foreign player taking to time to get adjusted to the English football way. Same happened with Vidic, took him a while to get into full swing. And now he is he's turning in some absolutely tremendous performances.

Actually, go on then. I'm just a glutton for wumming and enjoy making you look like a douche. :razz:

My first post in this thread:

Refuse to believe there isn't a good player somewhere inside him. I know there is because i've seen it.

But meh, fuck it. It's pointless even debating that now. He was fucking wank.. fucking woeful for the vast majority of the season and probably one of the key culprits (players-wise) for why we're relegated. Center-back is such a crucial position - we as Newcastle fans know that for a fact - and he was worse than shit for the majority of the season. He'll be gone (back to Spain i would have though), and we'll probably never hear about him again, Luque-stylee.

I don't even disagree with you. It's just your slating of opinions with the benefit of hindsight i've got a problem with. It's a nonsense.

I thought people were incredibly quick to slag him off at the time (along with Ricky and Jonas) and said so. By all means continue in your "oh but its a WUM" mode :lol: as if that negates the horrendous summing up in your "first post in this thread" - basically, you're saying that Coloccini was the main reason why we got relegated?

You could at least answer me this: If he was so obviously out of his depth, why was he the last player to get dropped? (when the results continued to be poor)

90% of the abuse for Colo appeared after the Chelsea game in which he was at fault for the first goal. This should tell you everything you need to know.

A lot of football fans are sheep. It's a by-product of following something passionately within a very large group. And when sheep are angry, they'll follow without discrimination. As a foreign, expensive NUFC defender, Colo was always going to become a media target. And as an expensive Dennis Wise find, he was inevitably going to recieve contempt from a few fans when his form dipped.

A lot of it just biased and embarrassing nonsense. Neesy calling him a shit defender who can't pass has to rank somewhere in the forum HOF.

I said that there was a good defender lurking somewhere in Coloccini (we saw it in fits and spurts), but he was largely terrible in his first year and - as an individual player on the pitch - one of the main culprits for our relegation. I stand by that because he was a woeful PL centre-half for the majority of it; completely unsuited regardless of the lack of midfield protection.

Only a moron would say he was the reason alone... Jesus wept. Learn to read.

People were quick to slag him off because he was poor against the most average of strikers - especially taking into account his pricetag. Most typically it was the ones with a bit of pace. Can remember him being raped off the likes of King, Camara and Fuller in his first year - he couldn't hack the division at all.

There was no surprise people laid into him and given the performances it was justified. Even a know-it-all like you couldn't have predicted the turnaround that has since ensued.

As far as why he wasn't dropped, i don't really know. Taylor was pretty shite n'all that year - there was only him and Bassong to fill in.

But my issue isn't even with the subject at hand. It's with how you turn your nose up at posts from yesteryear with the benefit of hindsight. You're worse than Ronaldo when it comes to personal little "i was right all along" victories. You're not a superfan so don't act like one.

It's a bit much to expect Newcastle fans to be enduring one of the most painful periods in recent memory and step back and say "can't wait to see how the lad Coloccini turns out".

He might have been caught up in the crossfire of the general hatred directed towards the team, but it's understandable IMO.

He did go through a spell after Christmas where he looked like making a mistake every time the ball came near him, let's not rewrite history. Him and Bassong were solid up until then though.

Suffered like Boumsong did (against Man Utd) from a horrendous error after which he just seemed to collapse (Ronaldo says Chelsea, I'll take his word for it since I can't remember), thankfully he got the chance to recover from it at a lower level and really learn the English game.

Bringing up posts from two years ago is about the most pointless piece of evidence for an argument ever.

He looked poor, sloppy, weak and out of his depth in his first season here. He's one of our best players now. Can we not just leave it that? Rather than the whole 'I TOLD YOU SO! HOW COULD YOU NOT SEE TWO YEARS INTO THE FUTURE AND SEE HE'D TURN OUT TO BE A GREAT PLAYER?!"

Christ, if we always lived by that philosophy, we'd still have Jenas and Luque in the team - "Don't cut them out just yet, they might suddenly turn a corner".

I still get regular hammerings for slagging Jose off something rotten in the aftermath of Brambles last minute equaliser in the Wigan 2-2 game. I stand by the comments I made AT THE TIME. I had no idea he would go on to be the Titan he is today.