Realistic Summer Targets 2009

Kasper

Guest michaelfoster

Onyewo has left Standard Leige, worth another punt on a free transfer?

Coloccini, Bassong wil probably leave & Edgar is out of contract so we are short on CB's

Dietmar Hamann on a free. Worth another go?

He said he wants a year or two in the premiership, and he'll probably get premiership offers, also reckon hes on big wages?

Hammill's on holiday in Dubai at the moment and we're meant to be speaking to him when he returns.

He's shit and has troubles maintaining his waistline.

He said he wants a year or two in the premiership, and he'll probably get premiership offers, also reckon hes on big wages?

Is he still capable in the premiership, I havent seen him the past couple of years. Wouldnt really expect him to be much of an upgrade on the likes of Butt and Nolan. Odds on he would leave us for QPR later in the season.

Harper's shit.

He's not shit, he's just average; should be a good keeper in the CCC.

It's the same argument for the rest of our shit players. Just cos we're playing in a lower tier, it doesn't all of a sudden provide our current players with new attributes. His shot-stopping will still be erratic at the best, and the command of his six-yard area is pretty poor. Aye of course - he's up against a lesser standard of player, but in my personal opinion, Harper's weaknesses will be highlighted just as much in the Championship as they have been in the Premiership.

Obviously, given the woeful situation the club is in at the moment (with regards to the takeover) - i'm hardly expecting much of a squad overhaul. However, a few weeks ago i would have been pretty concerned if Harper was our first choice keeper at the start of the season. He's bound to be now like, given how time is ebbing away.

One of the most depressing things I have read on here recently.

Really?

There's been at least 500 more depressing things said.

Harper's shit.

He's not shit, he's just average; should be a good keeper in the CCC.

It's the same argument for the rest of our shit players. Just cos we're playing in a lower tier, it doesn't all of a sudden provide our current players with new attributes. His shot-stopping will still be erratic at the best, and the command of his six-yard area is pretty poor. Aye of course - he's up against a lesser standard of player, but in my personal opinion, Harper's weaknesses will be highlighted just as much in the Championship as they have been in the Premiership.

Obviously, given the woeful situation the club is in at the moment (with regards to the takeover) - i'm hardly expecting much of a squad overhaul. However, a few weeks ago i would have been pretty concerned if Harper was our first choice keeper at the start of the season. He's bound to be now like, given how time is ebbing away.

As you say he is going to be up against a lesser standard of player. He will probably be one of the best keepers in the league. I don't think we are going to do much better (unless Krul or Forster step up) and we will have much bigger priorities.

Perfectly happy with Harper as our number one next season with the youngsters hopefully giving him a good fight for the shirt.

Harper is a Premier League standard goalkeeper, just not as good as we were used to with Shay.

Melodrama IMO.

Exactly, sometimes we seem to expect our players to have no faults.

If they did they wouldn't be with us long to worry about.

Harper is a Premier League standard goalkeeper, just not as good as we were used to with Shay.

Melodrama IMO.

Exactly, sometimes we seem to expect our players to have no faults.

If they did they wouldn't be with us long to worry about.

Ah get lost. :lol: 'Melodrama' ffs - you can be a seriously condescending little twat at times, Dave (i know, so can i, yada yada). Cos i don't think he's a very good goalkeeper? I'm pretty iffy on him being first choice next season cos i don't think he's very good, that's all. I just think that if we don't solve what's a rickety defensive unit - by which i don't only mean the four defenders infront of him - Harper's going to be under a lot of pressure and i can see us being pretty concerned at some point later in the season.

Guest wshmag

harper is ok at shot stopping. wank at everything else.

i also think he could have saved THAT goal that sent us down away at villa if he really made an effort.

I just think it's going well over the top to even suggest he's not good enough for the Championship. He'd get a game for many Premier League clubs. We're in the fizzy pop league now, we're not going to attract players much better.

Guest wshmag

Patently good enough for Championship,and to blame him for that goal is nonsensical really.

if he was at full stretch, he would have saved it.

Keepers depend on confidence arguably more than any other player, which is why we seldom see goalkeeping changes being made unless it is absolutely mandatory. It was a mistake Keegan made with Srnicek and Hislop (didn't help that neither was really good enough) which may have cost us the title.

Harper got better as time went on in the latter half of last season, and this will continue into next season, stability is everything.

I just think it's going well over the top to even suggest he's not good enough for the Championship. He'd get a game for many Premier League clubs. We're in the fizzy pop league now, we're not going to attract players much better.

Hmm... you're kinda changing my words a bit there. I said i'd be concerned if he was our first choice keeper, cos i think he's pretty shit generally, and that his weaknesses will be shown up just as much as they were in the Premiership. He's probably capable enough for the Championship but one of the very best in the league i highly doubt.

Unfortunately - i'm still in the frame of mind that we'll have a good shout at the automatic spots next year. Though i think it's becoming pretty obvious that there isn't a cat in hell's chance of that happening at the first pop.

We'll agree to disagree, Dave. :razz: