RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So...nobody else even interested in the idea the club could ultimately be run (or partly run) by a supporters' trust a la Barcelona?

???

That doesn't make sense from their point of view, I don't understand how they'd expect to make a profit from doing that.

If anyone's watched the Asian coverage of games :shifty: then they'll have seen ads for the Profitable Group, they basically seem to make money by flogging land in the UK to people as an investment opportunity, not sure how well that business model will be holding up at the moment, so unless they've got their fingers in other wonton then I'm a bit sceptical about whether they'd have the finance to make us a success.

So...nobody else even interested in the idea the club could ultimately be run (or partly run) by a supporters' trust a la Barcelona?

???

No.

I don't want any of you on here having any say in how the club is run.

???

No.

Barca members don't have a direct say in how the club is run, they just elect the bloke to run it every couple of years.  Would only be a good thing IMO.

???

No.

Barca members don't have a direct say in how the club is run, they just elect the bloke to run it every couple of years.  Would only be a good thing IMO.

All the same, I'd rather have the best man for the job, not the most popular amongst the fans.

Sometimes what's best for the club isn't necessarily something that would appeal to the fans.

Again, where is this insistence coming from that our new owner(s) need to be really rich? Was Shepherd really rich? He seemed to manage fine until he went all spazzy with his managerial appointments and lost sight of what we could realistically afford. Ashley was really rich and he has been fucking disastrous.

Right now we're looking for promotion, not to challenge Chelsea for players. Ultimately all anyone needs over Ashley is some ambition and to appoint people with a clue about how to run a football club.

Guest MrSundlofer

Just glad this may be the end of Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias at Newcastle United. Make som deals now!

Again, where is this insistence coming from that our new owner(s) need to be really rich? Was Shepherd really rich? He seemed to manage fine until he went all spazzy with his managerial appointments and lost sight of what we could realistically afford. Right now we're looking for promotion, not to challenge Chelsea for players.

Ultimately all anyone needs over Ashley is more ambition and to appoint people with a clue about how to run a football club.

They don't need to be mega rich, but they do need to be economically sound. The club is going to need investment and it will take a few years for us to become profitable, therefore they need to be able to cope with that period financially, otherwise we'll just end up in the shit again.

If there's any substance to the Profitable Group story - it is high risk attempting an unproven strategy in such a competitive environment. After Ashley's attempts to create the "new Arsenal" do we want the club to be the subject of another experiment? And what if the Asian experiment fails? Ashley needs to move on but I would rather the replacement was someone who was going to build something that at least had its backbone based on established principles. Having said that there may only be one offer and I doubt Ashley will give a toss who he sells to.

Again, where is this insistence coming from that our new owner(s) need to be really rich? Was Shepherd really rich? He seemed to manage fine until he went all spazzy with his managerial appointments and lost sight of what we could realistically afford. Ashley was really rich and he has been f***ing disastrous.

Right now we're looking for promotion, not to challenge Chelsea for players. Ultimately all anyone needs over Ashley is some ambition and to appoint people with a clue about how to run a football club.

Fair enough but although Shepherd wasn't really rich he was never playing with his own money (unlike Ashley) and in his best years the Premiership was a very different place. The way it is now I think we will fail to compete (if we ever get back there) unless we have bucks to spend. Aston Villa is the most recent example of what you need to do to get back up the table - and they have spent proper money.

Again, where is this insistence coming from that our new owner(s) need to be really rich? Was Shepherd really rich? He seemed to manage fine until he went all spazzy with his managerial appointments and lost sight of what we could realistically afford. Right now we're looking for promotion, not to challenge Chelsea for players.

Ultimately all anyone needs over Ashley is more ambition and to appoint people with a clue about how to run a football club.

They don't need to be mega rich, but they do need to be economically sound. The club is going to need investment and it will take a few years for us to become profitable, therefore they need to be able to cope with that period financially, otherwise we'll just end up in the shit again.

Well assuming there's any truth behind this story, that'll be what they mean when they say they're putting together a plan. They also mention a couple of times the fact that the club needs to be built up on a sound financial footing. To me this is much more palatable than someone coming in with ridiculous notions of getting us challenging for the Premier League in three years or whatever.

I've no idea whether this lot would be any good or not of course, just saying we shouldn't necessarily dismiss them just because they're not throwing silly amounts of cash around. We're a Championship club now, so we can't expect anyone particularly special. We just need a decent owner, and if they back Shearer that's enough for me.

At the end of the day I believe someone striking a balance between the likes of Shepherd and Ashley would be ideal.

Well assuming there's any truth behind this story, that'll be what they mean when they say they're putting together a plan. They also mention a couple of times the fact that the club needs to be built up on a sound financial footing. To me this is much more palatable than someone coming in with ridiculous notions of getting us challenging for the Premier League in three years or whatever.

I've no idea whether this lot would be any good or not of course, just saying we shouldn't necessarily dismiss them just because they're not throwing silly amounts of cash around. We're a Championship club now, so we can't expect anyone particularly special. We just need a decent owner, and if they back Shearer that's enough for me.

At the end of the day I believe someone striking a balance between the likes of Shepherd and Ashley would be ideal.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I'm currently dubious about this particular group, that's all.

If there's any substance to the Profitable Group story - it is high risk attempting an unproven strategy in such a competitive environment. After Ashley's attempts to create the "new Arsenal" do we want the club to be the subject of another experiment? And what if the Asian experiment fails? Ashley needs to move on but I would rather the replacement was someone who was going to build something that at least had its backbone based on established principles. Having said that there may only be one offer and I doubt Ashley will give a toss who he sells to.

What's the alternative though? Being a plaything for someone like Ashley who deep down doesn't really care?

I agree with regards to him selling up btw. We'll get what we're given.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I'm currently dubious about this particular group, that's all.

Unfortunately as I said above, I don't think there will be much debate about it from our side. I can't see Ashley giving a flying fuck who stumps up the money - this 'there will be no auction' thing pretty much confirms it.

We've just got to hope for the best. :undecided:

Unfortunately as I said above, I don't think there will be much debate about it from our side. I can't see Ashley giving a flying fuck who stumps up the money - this 'there will be no auction' thing pretty much confirms it.

We've just got to hope for the best. :undecided:

Aye.

I think it is good for a club if we have some trust like Barcelona. The news they hit today is very genuin. Offcourse they are not makeing a bid becuase makeing a bid is very simple there are lots of hurdles before that. The say in the next couple of days so we should hear some thing positives Next Monday.

I also think it is important to have Kenny Dalglish at some capacity here. Shearer likes him and I think he is good at what he do.

Guest neesy111

I think it is good for a club if we have some trust like Barcelona. The news they hit today is very genuin. Offcourse they are not makeing a bid becuase makeing a bid is very simple there are lots of hurdles before that. The say in the next couple of days so we should hear some thing positives Next Monday.

I also think it is important to have Kenny Dalglish at some capacity here. Shearer likes him and I think he is good at what he do.

agreed with everything you said, until you uttered dalglish

don't forget he ripped up the entertainers and replaced them with guivarch, andreas andersson, pistone, barnes

utter awful manager

Prefer pretty much anyone to Ashley right now.

95% of the users on these boards would be preferable to him.

Who's in the other 5% like? ???

The thick ones, and the ones with about as much common sense as a doorstop.

You were in the 95% if that's what you're asking. :aww:

Prefer pretty much anyone to Ashley right now.

95% of the users on these boards would be preferable to him.

Who's in the other 5% like? ???

The thick ones, and the ones with about as much common sense as a doorstop.

You were in the 95% if that's what you're asking. :aww:

I wasn't asking. But thanks anyway.