The England Thread

Pilko

The main problem we have now is that we just can't compete with the possession game currently dominating, or the speedy attacking of Germany at world cup. I don't think we have the players to play a possession game (and indeed at international level it is noticably more defensive and boring, Spain at world cup were not really entertainers, they retained the ball so well they didn't conceed, but by being barcalona without Messi, lacked a cutting edge. I think the idea has been for a aggressive but counter attacking minded team, but our defense isn't good enough, we can't afford to invite pressure onto ourselves as we haven't the solidity at the back.

Well, it's mostly the fact that Del Bosque sets up Spain more defensively than Barcelona rather than just "lack of Messi". He plays Iniesta on the wing instead of an out-and-out forward, and uses Xavi and Alonso as the midfield pair. Both operate from deep, and have a more advanced midfielder at their clubs as partners, namely Özil and Iniesta. It's a Lampard/Gerrard kind of situation really, they should bench the lesser Xavi (still a great player mind) but the Madrid media would go apeshit...

We have already won both darn cups, I think we can afford to take some risks and give some entertainment.

Casillas

S. Ramos  Piqué  Puyol  Training Cone

Busquets

Xavi            Iniesta

Silva              Torres              Villa

All fun and giggles.

Guest BooBoo

Wake me up when the finals start in June. Germany will poop the party by winning it.

Capello's reign has been amazingly unspectacular.

I'm not sure at this point if Torres is ever going to regain his old form, so I'd probably ditch him and one of the other prodigiously talented spanish players.

Spain out of charity should loan out the amazing players that only make the bench at best...it's a bit ridiculous really, there are a ton of players there who can deliver a pass a load better than anyone in the England squad.

Capello's loyalty to Milner is getting ridiculous, but the tabloids basically pick the england press at this point.

The main problem we have now is that we just can't compete with the possession game currently dominating, or the speedy attacking of Germany at world cup. I don't think we have the players to play a possession game (and indeed at international level it is noticably more defensive and boring, Spain at world cup were not really entertainers, they retained the ball so well they didn't conceed, but by being barcalona without Messi, lacked a cutting edge. I think the idea has been for a aggressive but counter attacking minded team, but our defense isn't good enough, we can't afford to invite pressure onto ourselves as we haven't the solidity at the back.

Well, it's mostly the fact that Del Bosque sets up Spain more defensively than Barcelona rather than just "lack of Messi". He plays Iniesta on the wing instead of an out-and-out forward, and uses Xavi and Alonso as the midfield pair. Both operate from deep, and have a more advanced midfielder at their clubs as partners, namely Özil and Iniesta. It's a Lampard/Gerrard kind of situation really, they should bench the lesser Xavi (still a great player mind) but the Madrid media would go apeshit...

We have already won both darn cups, I think we can afford to take some risks and give some entertainment.

Casillas

Busquets

Xavi            Iniesta

All fun and giggles.

Look at that man, its fucking disgusting :lol:

Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Silva.. with Fabregas, Alonso, Mata, Thiago and Cazorla for backup in midfield.

It's actually disgusting. :lol:

Not to mention the still very good...

Canales, Javi Martinez, Valero, Navas, Pablo Hernandez, Léon, Granero etc etc etc

Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Silva.. with Fabregas, Alonso, Mata, Thiago and Cazorla for backup in midfield.

It's actually disgusting. :lol:

Not to mention the still very good...

Canales, Javi Martinez, Valero, Navas, Pablo Hernandez, Léon, Granero etc etc etc

16 midfielders and Arteta nowhere to be seen. :lol:

The fact he'd walk into the England squad speaks volumes.

they've got too much depth because their clubs have obviously got something right developing young players 10 years ago. Our FA and clubs need to take note, they always seem to make a lot of noise about it then no players appear.

Didn't know this 'til today but Montenegro have a new coach for this one. Still can't seeing anything other than bore draw or one-nil to someone.

they do?

thought they were doing well in the group tbh (ok losing to wales is embarrassing)

Casillas

Busquets

Xavi            Iniesta

All fun and giggles.

Look at that man, its fucking disgusting :lol:

Am I the only one who only noticed that after it had been quoted  :blush:

Most of the media seem to have made their collective minds up about how we'll line-up tonight.  However, Tyler was just on SSN saying that there had been no leak from the England camp and so assumed that it was just media guess work.

Hart

Jones Cahill Terry Cole

Parker Barry

Walcott Rooney Young

Zamora

Zamora is definitely the best forward option we have in the team on current form.  He's started the season well, having the most goals and assists of all the strikers in the squad.  Welbeck has as many goals, with a higher conversion rate, but hasn't contributed as many direct assists.  It's also important to note that Zamora will add the greatest physical presence, assuming we discard the out of form Carroll, of all the strikers and shouldn't be too phased by the night being an 'oldy'.  That despite him only ever making 1 appearance for England before.  As a substitute, at home against some minnow or other.