The England Thread

Pilko

I'd probably put Downing in for Zamora and stick Rooney out front...or is Downing injured? I dunno about playing him deeper to be honest. Zamora could be worth a shot though, i think though Rooney would either play too high up or drop deep and be ineffective where we need him.

I'm hoping England will go with this tonight:

Hart

Jones        Terry    Cahill    Cole

Walcott  Lampard  Parker  Downing

Young

Rooney

But Capello will more than likely start with Barry at CM and Jones will probably not be given the nod at RB because of inexperience and all that.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Most of the media seem to have made their collective minds up about how we'll line-up tonight.  However, Tyler was just on SSN saying that there had been no leak from the England camp and so assumed that it was just media guess work.

Hart

Jones Cahill Terry Cole

Parker Barry

Walcott Rooney Young

Zamora

Zamora is definitely the best forward option we have in the team on current form.  He's started the season well, having the most goals and assists of all the strikers in the squad.  Welbeck has as many goals, with a higher conversion rate, but hasn't contributed as many direct assists.  It's also important to note that Zamora will add the greatest physical presence, assuming we discard the out of form Carroll, of all the strikers and shouldn't be too phased by the night being an 'oldy'.  That despite him only ever making 1 appearance for England before.  As a substitute, at home against some minnow or other.

Scott Parker, Gareth Barry and fucking Bobby Zamora. :lol:

Barry and Walcott :facepalm:

I would like to see Jones at cb and Walker at rb, that would be awesome. But Capello WHY WHY WHY Barry?!

Parker I´m ok with. he will always do a good defensive job even though he is limited in the offensive play.

Is Andrew Johnson in the Squad atm?

Hart

Jones    Cahill        Terry    Baines

Parker

Lampard        Downing

Johnson                          Young

Rooney

Know it's too attacking really, and Lampard is basically standing in for Wilshere, who would strengthen the squad a lot there. Baines is there because Cole to me hasn't really looked too great recently, seems off the pace, someone whose seen him more could correct though. Parker not ideal to be honest either. Jones at CB and Walker at Right Back would be good too

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when Cahill, Parker, Barry, Walcott and Zamora are all starting for England. Not doubting they are all decent players but none of them exactly set the world on fire.

Hart

Jones      Terry    Cahill    Cole

Young  Lampard  Parker  Downing

Rooney

Welbeck

Having looked at the squad properly (especially in the striking department), just tweaked the team to that above.

yeah that's about what I expect, they're likely to defend in numbers and pack midfield to cut off supply. Not convinced we can really be relied upon to cut through a well organised defence, actually more than not convinced, we're nowhere near good enough at it with Lampard and Parker there relied upon to find the gaps through the centre. Not good enough.

I'd be well fucked off if I was Micah Richards like. He could/should be getting all this experience under his belt to play there for years to come but no best shoehorn some Man United players in instead (and yes I'm aware they're both good but neither are RBs)

Team : Hart; Jones Cahill Terry Cole; Parker Barry; Walcott Rooney Young; Bent.

:jesuswept:

:facepalm: Barry ffs.

EDIT: (Unfortunately like I've said, Parker is the best option in CM out of the midfielders we have available in this squad but play him alongside Lampard, not Barry man).

Have nothing against Parker as a holding midfielder, but Barry is just awful.

Long gone are the days were pundits all over the world were saying that England had the best midfield in the world with Becks, Lampard, Gerrard and Cole it seems. :lol:

I'd be well f***ed off if I was Micah Richards like. He could/should be getting all this experience under his belt to play there for years to come but no best shoehorn some Man United players in instead (and yes I'm aware they're both good but neither are RBs)

Its a disgrace tbh, even Smalling is ahead of him at RB.

CANNOT WAIT TILL CAPPELLO FUCKS OFF.

I'm not sure at this point if Torres is ever going to regain his old form, so I'd probably ditch him and one of the other prodigiously talented spanish players.

Spain out of charity should loan out the amazing players that only make the bench at best...it's a bit ridiculous really, there are a ton of players there who can deliver a pass a load better than anyone in the England squad.

Capello's loyalty to Milner is getting ridiculous, but the tabloids basically pick the england press at this point.

On-form Torres is the best Spanish striker, and I think he's been progressively improving this season. I have faith he'll be fine by the time of the tournament.

Also most of our depth is concentrated on midfield and the wings. Our depth at the back and in the striker position (Negredo/Soldado are fine but no Torres or Villa) isn't that great. Also, as I referred to with my "Training Cone" joke, Del Bosque isn't even calling up natural LBs lately.