The England Thread

Pilko

We had a terrible last 20 minutes. It was like we were scared of losing the lead and were afraid of committing players to the attack. We surrendered the initiative to an inferior side and nearly paid the price.

It's all very well if we can defend like Italians and hit teams on the break, but the back four looked shaky and our counter attacks were slow and indecisive. It was like we were just trying to retain possession, but we seemed to lack the mobility to really do that.

Barry had a great game, despite all the criticism. Smalling doesn't look like an international-quality full back. Lampard doesn't offer enough any more.

Barry hate is annoying.  He's easily the best midfielder we have for that role.

By role, you mean no pace and sideways/backwards passes?

There's more to football than ball retention (which Barry is actually quiet strong at)...

Wouldn't use poor to describe individual performances at all.  Everybody played well for the most part and the game was passing comfortably.  We had our goal and Wales were offering no real threat to our goal area.  Then we timed a slump, which I think was caused by players becoming too relaxed and a tad complacent, with a burst of energy from Wales.  Cue a couple of real chances to level, with the most glorious opportunity falling - fortunately - to Earnshaw.  I think 1-1 should have been the fair result, but aside from 10 minutes where we switched off we were worthy of a win.

Barry hate is annoying.  He's easily the best midfielder we have for that role.

By role, you mean no pace and sideways/backwards passes?

There's more to football than ball retention (which Barry is actually quiet strong at)...

Barry is abysmal, and the fact he gets starting games for England just highlights their biggest problem - the midfield.

Any team with a midfield of Milner, Barry, Parker and Downing is never gonna do anything at International level, simple as that really. 

Technically, the midfield is just so weak.  They are unable to boss any half decent side and can't play possession football.

Wouldn't use poor to describe individual performances at all.  Everybody played well for the most part and the game was passing comfortably.  We had our goal and Wales were offering no real threat to our goal area.  Then we times a slump, which I think was caused by players becoming too relaxed and a tad complacent, with a burst of energy from Wales.  Cue a couple of real chances to level, with the most glorious opportunity falling - fortunately - to Earnshaw.  I think 1-1 should have been the fair result, but aside from 10 minutes where we switched off we were worthy of a win.

Thought Cole was poor personally by his normally high standards.

Internet hyperbole is fast becoming a really irritant of mine.  Particularly when aimed at Gareth Barry.  Barry is not 'abysmal', he is far from that.  He is a worthy England international and first team player of a Champions League club.  He may not be everybody's cup of tea in terms of his playing style, but what he does, he does well and two highly experienced Italian managers both seem to agree on his ability.

Wouldn't use poor to describe individual performances at all.  Everybody played well for the most part and the game was passing comfortably.  We had our goal and Wales were offering no real threat to our goal area.  Then we times a slump, which I think was caused by players becoming too relaxed and a tad complacent, with a burst of energy from Wales.  Cue a couple of real chances to level, with the most glorious opportunity falling - fortunately - to Earnshaw.  I think 1-1 should have been the fair result, but aside from 10 minutes where we switched off we were worthy of a win.

Thought Cole was poor personally by his normally high standards.

I don't get this criticism of Cole's game, but I've read more than one post on other forums as well.  He came up against a considerably more physical player, who was quicker and stronger, so of course he was going to struggle.  Here's my response from the other forum:

I thought Cole's performance was fine for the most part. Bale was only able to get around him when he dropped back 5 yards or so and had a 40/50 yard gallop ahead of himself to work with. Other than that Cole's experience showed and despite being significantly disadvantaged physically he dealt with Bale well.

And relating to the occasions where Cole and Bale battled in close proximity:

Hmm yeah, there were a few occasions in the first half where that happened, but he always ended up down a blind alley. Also, he didn't really skip past Cole; he bundled his way through Cole (and others) utilizing his physical advantages.

Actually thought Bale was quiet poor at times in the game. He seemed to let the occasion and hype get the better of himself, which culminated in his weak 30 yard effort midway through the second half that sailed slowly high and wide of the goal. Picked up a little after that, but before that he was just trying to do too much and sometimes everything.

Barry is not 'abysmal', he is far from that.  He is a worthy England international and first team player of a Champions League club.

I don't like to be condescending, but f*** me, if you believe that you're watching the wrong sport.

These guys disagree with you:

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/design05/images/2009/0908/fabiocapello20090908press_275x155.jpg

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50817000/jpg/_50817012_mancini_av640.jpg

Rumors have arisen that a Welsh fan died (/was killed) outside the stadium after the game.  Allegedly attacked outside of the turnstiles.

From Facebook

Sick bastards, all over a football match. An innocent man from Cardiff battered to death. R.I.P Mickey Dyer