The England Thread

Pilko

I detest the guy, but saggy flaps will be the new Venables... except I actually think he could do better. Can't see anyone else even being interviewed.

Has Allardyce thrown his name into the hat yet?

He was on SSN today saying he'll cross that bridge if and when he's contacted about it. :lol:

I detest the guy, but saggy flaps will be the new Venables... except I actually think he could do better. Can't see anyone else even being interviewed.

Has Allardyce thrown his name into the hat yet?

Sure I heard Coldplay singing his name on Radio 1 this morning.

Er, who doesn't value Scholes on his Man U form? If he played like that in an England shirt he would have been. Much like the rest of the England team.

Carrick just isn't that good.

Players who just aren't that good are not chosen to start 3 Champion League finals for Manchester United. This is not a John O'Shea "squad player" situation.

Er, who doesn't value Scholes on his Man U form? If he played like that in an England shirt he would have been. Much like the rest of the England team.

Players who just aren't that good are not chosen to start 3 Champion League finals for Manchester United. This is not a John O'Shea "squad player" situation.

The best club team of all time had Sebastiano Rossi in goal, an average keeper who never got a single cap but played in 3 Champion League finals. The best International team of all time had a poor keeper in Felix.

Not even the very best teams have a top class player in each position and this Man Utd certainly isn't an all time great, even compared to their own teams.

Says alot about the standard of football currently that they've been the second best team over the last few years with so many mediocrities like Wes Brown and Anderson. But then Liverpool got to finals a few years ago with a team full of them and Dida played in 3 finals and so on. Loads of players have played in CL finals without being that good.

The best club team of all time had Sebastiano Rossi in goal, an average keeper who never got a single cap but played in 3 Champion League finals. The best International team of all time had a poor keeper in Felix.

Not even the very best teams have a top class player in each position and this Man Utd certainly isn't an all time great, even compared to their own teams.

Says alot about the standard of football currently that they've been the second best team over the last few years with so many mediocrities like Wes Brown and Anderson. But then Liverpool got to finals a few years ago with a team full of them and Dida played in 3 finals and so on. Loads of players have played in CL finals without being that good.

He's not a goalkeeper, he plays central midfield. Name the poor central midfielders of those teams.

Liverpool didn't win 3 league titles back to back coinciding with the signing of Igor Biscan. We are talking about a team that has won the league 4/5 times out the last 6. They are not carrying many passengers in the first eleven man, let alone in midfield get a  grip.

Did Wes Brown/O'Shea start in all 3 finals?

He's not a great. He doesn't impose himself enough. But he's good enough to start for the English national side. We need more players in Carrick's mould and less of the blockbuster stuff started by Beckham. Players comfortable with short and mid-range passing. Wilshere's a good start.

Man City are top of the league with Gareth Barry in central midfield. Chelsea won the double a couple of seasons ago with Mikel in midfield. Kleberson and Karembeu played in world cup winning midfields. It's not limited to goalkeepers.

Man Utd could have replaced Carrick and still won those titles without much trouble.

Man City are top of the league with Gareth Barry in central midfield. Chelsea won the double a couple of seasons ago with Mikel in midfield. Kleberson and Karembeu played in world cup winning midfields. It's not limited to goalkeepers.

Man Utd could have replaced Carrick and still won those titles without much trouble.

Please understand my point. I'm not talking one PL medal, or one CL final, or warming the bench for Brazil. Gareth Barry will be 31 if City win the league. He certainly won't win it 4 times or play in 3 Champions League finals.

Michael Carrick has played over 40 games a year for Man United, central midfield, winning leagues and playing Champions League finals. He's better than Gareth Barry but he has less caps. Fergie's no fool. He's had his share of average players and he moves them on or benches them. Carrick's been a regular for 6 years coinciding with there best run in fergie's time.

Good news for England, just no way I could see them winning the Euros with Capello in charge.

At least Redknapp will make you tolerable to watch (I'm aware of the irony of an Irish person having a dig at anyone for playing negative football btw :lol: )

I'm assuming it's pretty much a given that he's getting the job?

Good news for England, just no way I could see them winning the Euros with Capello in charge.

At least Redknapp will make you tolerable to watch (I'm aware of the irony of an Irish person having a dig at anyone for playing negative football btw :lol: )

I'm assuming it's pretty much a given that he's getting the job?

We don't have a chance of winning the Euros whoever is in charge. I'm still chuffed Capello won't be there though, sick to death of that man.

That seems insane to me like, you've lived your whole life in Sweden. Can see why you'd cheer on England too but surely you're more Swedish than English?

Not having a go or anything, just can't understand it.

This kind of back and forth argument (about Barry vs Carrick) just shows what is wrong with the England squad.  As it stands, it's about picking the biggest name players playing for the biggest teams, when in reality it should be about picking the best possible team.  It shouldn't matter if you think Barry is better or Carrick is better, it's about who fits into the desired system better.  Once an England manager figures that out then England might start challenging at major tournaments again.

That seems insane to me like, you've lived your whole life in Sweden. Can see why you'd cheer on England too but surely you're more Swedish than English?

Not having a go or anything, just can't understand it.

Probably comes from my dad being a lot more interested in football than my mom, and he's brought me up to support England. Same as I would support Newcastle over AIK, even though I've been brought up 500 meters from the arena, have gone to games since I was a bairn and even played for AIK.

EDIT: Probably also because it was fun being "different" when I was a kid. Bit of banter between me and all my Swedish friends, then it just continued. I don't even really support Sweden tbh.

"I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't the popular choice. I know I am, it's been everywhere, in every paper every day.

"But it's not an easy one. I have a good job and I work with good people and I have a good team.

"The fans have been fantastic to me. Just to walk away now, when we're in such a good position, it wouldn't be fair, it wouldn't be fair on Tottenham.

"I have to really keep focusing on Tottenham.

"This week we have Stevenage in the Cup, then we have Man Utd, then we have Arsenal, then we have Chelsea. We have some fantastic games. It's important time for me with Tottenham."

"Part-time? In the short term I think it's possible for the European Championships.

"But I think in the long-term it's not possible to manage a club team and manage a national team. It's difficult enough to manage in the Premier League without having to worry about managing the England team as well.

"You want to be watching England players play, you want to be watching the opposition.

"I think, whoever they give the job to could only do the one job. Maybe for the Euros, it's not such a problem but once the Euros are finished and the new season starts in England, the manager has to be a Premier League manager - if it's someone who manages in the Premier League - or the England manager.

"To do the two jobs, it would be impossible."