The England Thread

Pilko

I thought Gerrard was excellent

You and your Gerrard love, man. He was average at best.

I thought his leadership was superb and he kept things ticking over, he also didn't over try the Hollywood passes. It was the kind of England performance that I've been wanting to see from Lumplard for years but unfortunately he hasn't Gerrard's quality, either technically in that position, or indeed mentally.

I thought his leadership was superb and he kept things ticking over, he also didn't over try the Hollywood passes. It was the kind of England performance that I've been wanting to see from Lumplard for years but unfortunately he hasn't Gerrard's quality, either technically in that position, or indeed mentally.

Nice try.

Hart 7- Couple of smart saves. Couldn't blame him for goal.

Johnson- 6- So uninspiring but coped ok.

Cole- 7- Strong outlet

Terry- 6- Rarely troubled

Lescott- 7- Good header

Milner- 3- Awful, just offers nothing at all.

Parker- 7- Threw himself about a lot.

Gerrard- 6- Great delivery for the goal, otherwise iffy.

Oxlade Chamberlain- 4- looked completely over awed.

Young- 4- faded after a bright start.

Welbeck-5- fed on scraps

Henderson-3- Jesus wept.

Defoe- 6- looked bright

Really do think that's harsh on Ox, he and Glen Johnson were the only ones to show any real endeavour going forward imo - Cole to a lesser extent, but then we barely used him. Ox beat his man on a few occasions and played a few neat passes.

I wouldn't give the Mackem 3 either.

Did he touch it?

I don't think so. :lol:

Thought he was man of the match too. His free kick was perfect and he led the young players well.

Guest Wally_McFool

a good result for England, not a good performance mind, seemed a bank of 8 at times rather than 2 banks of 4 and Welbeck didn't offer much in holding up the ball

Thought it was a decent disciplined performance bearing in mind that they were playing in a 30 degree heat. Cant run around like blue arsed flies too much in that heat.

Will expect  a bit better against the Swedes if its cooler though.

Hart - 7. No complaints. Needs to dampen his gloves a bit mind.

Johnson - 6. Thought he showed a decent desire going forward and handled Ribery reasonably well.

Terry - 6. Wasn't really troubled. Cunt.

Lescott - 7. As above really, took his goal well.

Cole - 6. Looked to be one of our better outlets going forward, but we never really used him. Not really his fault.

Milner - 2. Fucking hell he was terrible. Fluffed a bunch of crosses and generally feeble with the ball.

Parker - 7. Retained possession well and made a couple of good interceptions.

Gerrard - 7. Similar sorta deal really. Protected the defense, kept the ball most of the time, good assist.

Oxlade - 6. One of the few who wanted to run with the ball. Will be useful member of the squad.

Young - 5. Started brightly, faded dramatically.

Welbeck - 6. As above really. Some neat touches, but probably what i'd define as a 'defensive forward'. No attacking threat whatsoever today.

a good result for England, not a good performance mind, seemed a bank of 8 at times rather than 2 banks of 4 and Welbeck didn't offer much in holding up the ball

Thought it was a decent disciplined performance bearing in mind that they were playing in a 30 degree heat. Cant run around like blue arsed flies too much in that heat.

Will expect  a bit better against the Swedes if its cooler though.

true it was a good disciplined performance and the heat didn't help but England had real problems holding onto the ball

Johnson - 6. Thought he showed a decent desire going forward and handled Ribery reasonably well.

Terry - 6. Wasn't really troubled. c***.

Cole - 6. Looked to be one of our better outlets going forward, but we never really used him. Not really his fault.

Milner - 2. f***ing hell he was terrible. Fluffed a bunch of crosses and generally feeble with the ball.

Gerrard - 7. Similar sorta deal really. Protected the defense, kept the ball most of the time, good assist.

Oxlade - 6. One of the few who wanted to run with the ball. Will be useful member of the squad.

Welbeck - 6. As above really. Some neat touches, but probably what i'd define as a 'defensive forward'. No attacking threat whatsoever today.

So Parker was our equal best player ? Foxtrot Oscar... not even one pirouette.

Gerrard was better than he has been for England in a long time. Much fewer hollywood passes. Fair play to him.

Kept it simple and supplied the cross for the goal. Kept the midfield organised too. Couldn't ask any more of him tbh.

Guest neesy111

Milner - 2. f***ing hell he was terrible. Fluffed a bunch of crosses and generally feeble with the ball.

Aye, i thought our centre-midfielders were the key contributors to keeping us so rigid and frustrating the French. Parker was comfortable in the middle of the park.

Gerrard was better than he has been for England in a long time. Much fewer hollywood passes. Fair play to him.

Who'd have thought it would take Roy Hodgson to get a decent England performance out of Gerrard?

Oh right, anyone but the scouse.