The England Thread

Pilko

Guest Howaythetoon

In fact you could say Ferdinand is arguably the best all-round centre-back to have played in the Premier League.

By the way, and I will probably be challenged on this, Colo is every inch as good as Rio was in his prime and is for me, also one of the best all-round centre-back's to have played in our league and certainly the best I've ever seen in black and white, beating Woodgate now with his all-round performances and sheer consistency.

Ferdinand was brilliant at his best. Superb physically, tremendous technically and a new kind of centre half introduced to a country that rarely produced one in that style. I thought we'd win the World Cup in 2006 because of the Ferdinand/Terry combination at the heart of defence, I'd say it's when Rio was at his best.

Guest BooBoo

I once nabbed a freebie to Blackburn v West Ham in October 1998. A young Rio was given the run around as the home side ran out easy 3-0 winners.

Funny old game...

Ferdinand was brilliant at his best. Superb physically, tremendous technically and a new kind of centre half introduced to a country that rarely produced one in that style. I thought we'd win the World Cup in 2006 because of the Ferdinand/Terry combination at the heart of defence, I'd say it's when Rio was at his best.

I thought Rio and Sol were a much better partnership as Terry has never consistently reproduced his Chelsea form for England whereas Campbell was always a rock for England.

Guest Howaythetoon

I thought Rio and Sol were a much better partnership as Terry has never consistently reproduced his Chelsea form for England whereas Campbell was always a rock for England.

Forgot about Sol, another great all-rounder and I would agree with your statement about their partnership.

It is a shame that Ledley King didn't really make it for England because him and Rio would have been immense, King for me is on a par ability wise, or rather was.

Interesting. :lol:

Rooney also revealed he uses a visualisation technique before games in an attempt to be in the right frame of mind to have an impact for England - and at club level with United.

He said: "I've done it all of my career, since I got in the Everton team. I've always asked the kit men what colour kit we're wearing and what colour the opponents are wearing then visualised scoring goals or good things happening in the game.

"I always do it before every game to get good thoughts and good moments happening in my head to help me. I do it the night before a game when I'm in bed."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18476817

I think a lot of sports people do that, it's not that unusual.

Never thought that a football-pro would do that.

Why not?

Actually, if I remember rightly Andy Cole used to practice moving around the box and finishing without a football, to develop muscle memory. So footballers are capable of this sort of stuff!

Redknapp has said he wouldn't trade England's front 6 for anyone elses in the tournament

:facepalm:

To be fair he has a point, your not allowed to transfer players in international football so I guess in a sense he wouldn't.