The England Thread

Pilko

Do Ireland have the biggest disparity between their national team and the state of their league?

No, they're both shit mate.

:lol:

The national team bore themselves through to the odd tournament though. Gateshead would probably have a fair chance in their league.

Do Ireland have the biggest disparity between their national team and the state of their league?

Sweden and Belgium has to be in with a shout there. Belgian team at least on paper is pretty brilliant.

Sweden and Belgium has to be in with a shout there. Belgian team at least on paper is pretty brilliant.

Agree, Sweden is a good call also.

I was thinking more historically, at least Malmo/Anderlecht/Gothenburg/Mechelen have some history in Europe.

Currently I'd still argue the same. Not even sure the LOI is professional.

Belgium maybe?

Belgian clubs occasionally get into the Champions League proper, half the Irish Clubs bankrupted themselves trying to get there and failing. As a regular to the games trust me the standards low

It's probably a fair assessment really. Irish league is conference standard at best, national team is mainly Championship level with a sprinkling of Prem - big disparity.

Infrastructure for football in Ireland is poor, hence most of their better players going to English academies or being plucked on the Granny rule.

I was thinking more historically, at least Malmo/Anderlecht/Gothenburg/Mouscron have some history in Europe.

a few clubs are but most players have day jobs as well as the football

It's probably a fair assessment really. Irish league is conference standard at best, national team is mainly Championship level with a sprinkling of Prem - big disparity.

That's about right. We don't have the population. Our best athletes are GAA players and the rest are split between soccer and rugby

I was thinking more historically, at least Malmo/Anderlecht/Gothenburg/Mouscron have some history in Europe.

i'm pleased someone quoted that before he replaced mouscron with mechelen. thought i was losing it for a second.

i'm pleased someone quoted that before he replaced mouscron with mechelen. thought i was losing it for a second.

:lol: too slow, should've played it safe with Brugge.

Belgium maybe?

Belgian clubs occasionally get into the Champions League proper, half the Irish Clubs bankrupted themselves trying to get there and failing. As a regular to the games trust me the standards low

The Belgian team is miles ahead of the Irish one though IMO, which evens it out a bit. As a regular goer to the Swedish league, trust me that it is fucking rubbish as well :lol: