The England Thread

Pilko

Guest Howaythetoon

Says the "Pirlo superior to Lampard" kid :lol:

Pls. I think you'll find many regard Pirlo as one if the finest midfielders of his generation.  You are in the minority, not me!  I'd think it was pure WUM but it's not :lol:

Thought you were out...

Btw I regard him as one of the best too, but not someone superior to another one of the best in Lampard.

You dragged me back in! :lol:  I guess we will have to agree to disagree :thup:

:thup:

Guest Roger Kint

Every time i read comments from Hodgson i am more convinced he has lost it and needs to quit before the pressure gets too much for him. Having at go at anyone who correctly points out England were poor and couldnt retain the ball is the signs of a broken man. Just seen he cancelled interviews and refused to answer questions on Carrick/long ball tactics, even stated we didnt have an issue with losing the ball ffs  :lol:

Every time i read comments from Hodgson i am more convinced he has lost it and needs to quit before the pressure gets too much for him. Having at go at anyone who correctly points out England were poor and couldnt retain the ball is the signs of a broken man. Just seen he cancelled interviews and refused to answer questions on Carrick/long ball tactics, even stated we didnt have an issue with losing the ball ffs  :lol:

Was the wrong man for the job from the start, nevermind.

Guest Roger Kint

True. After Liverpool i wasnt convinced by him, even more so now.

He brings stability. England won't often be embarrassed under Hodgson, but they'll not be sticking-it to many competitive teams (friendly wins against Italy and Brazil notwithstanding).

Have England ever tried a midfield three of Carrick, Lampard and Gerrard?

With Gerrard and Lamparad given the freedom to get forward and do what they essentially do best?

Then just letting Carrick distribute from the back as he does it better than any other English player at the moment.

So it has been done before? Did it not work then?

The midfield needs Carrick to dictate play from deep, as Gerrard isn't quite doing a good enough job of it tbh.

One out of Gerrard, Wilshere and Lampard has to sit.

Think Wilshere can afford to be brought along a bit slower tbh, before they ruin him too.

The midfield needs Carrick to dictate play from deep, as Gerrard isn't quite doing a good enough job of it tbh.

Think Wilshere can afford to be brought along a bit slower tbh, before they ruin him too.

Who've 'they' ruined?

There was a story they turned down pep for Roy as they wanted an English manager. Mental.

Yeah, I saw that. It was in the weekend's Independent.

Apparently intermediaries got in touch saying Pep was interested, as he felt he could improve England's play.

They never followed it up or even acknowledge the approach. Dude got blanked!  :lol:

For Hodgson ...

Who've 'they' ruined?

I was talking about the combination of bad managers and the media.

Constantly build up England's talented players, by giving them way too much responsibility and praise too early, before tearing them down.

With Gerrard and Lamparad given the freedom to get forward and do what they essentially do best?

Then just letting Carrick distribute from the back as he does it better than any other English player at the moment.

Gerrard can't get forward like he used to though.

I'm a Gerrard fan but this is correct.  However he played the anchor man role sufficiently in Tuesday and I think he's more than good enough at prompting from deeper than he used to play.

I'm a Gerrard fan but this is correct.  However he played the anchor man role sufficiently in Tuesday and I think he's more than good enough at prompting from deeper than he used to play.

I think he's looked better for England over the past year or so because he now knows he can't bomb forward like he used to if that makes sense? Always found him previously too tactically indisciplined whilst playing for England, but now he knows that he has to play within himself he seems more than happy to do so.

I think he's looked better for England over the past year or so because he now knows he can't bomb forward like he used to if that makes sense? Always found him previously too tactically indisciplined whilst playing for England, but now he knows that he has to play within himself he seems more than happy to do so.

I think the responsibility of the armband has aided this too.

Pirlo/Lampard

Both modern day legends of the game. This is how I seperate it - Pirlo would play in every single side Lampard has played in. Lampard wouldn't get into those AC sides nor the current Juve side right now.

What Lampard has over his contempories is largely consistency.

What Lampard has done which no other player has really managed.  Is to get the goals while spending a lot of time so deep.  His runs, shooting, heading, positioning in the box is next to none. And e has a superb eye for a killer ball is amazing.

But at the highest level.  He's not as good a footballer as others. He doesn't have the talent. Now, he may be as or even more productive than them. He wouldn't dominate a top class contest- that's one of the reasons why Engkand struggle I bad. But he would score/assist  and his team (well Chelsea) win anyway.

Just depends which you prefer. 

Guest Howaythetoon

Lampard wouldn't get into those AC sides nor the current Juve side right now.

Aye... who would want a 20 goals a season something midfielder who also happens to create a shit load of goals too.

Much rather have someone who scores next to no goals but can spray da baal aboot like a boss man innit!

Lampard wouldn't get into those AC sides nor the current Juve side right now.

Aye... who would want a 20 goals a season something midfielder who also happens to create a shit load of goals too.

Much rather have someone who scores next to no goals but can spray da baal aboot like a boss man innit!

He isnt a 20 goal a season midfielder, he averages 12 or so per season. Outstanding figures nevertheless.