The England Thread

Pilko

Ronaldo certainly put the hours in mind

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02403/facupfinal_2403766b.jpg

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=40890539

Rooney just doesn't have the discipline to be a top caliber player, he is very much the stereotypical english player in terms of natural instinct rather than trained refinement. While dilligent training etc would clearly do him good he probably does more than people guess and if you don't have the discipline at this point in his career he never will.

He's a very good player but needs to be the most important player in the team to do well enough to justify how people talk about him, and tbh he doesn't have the requisite mental strength to be reliable and to get that position at any team at the top of the game. He's certainly scored plenty and assisted plenty even in the poor season for Man U, there is a tendancy to talk him down when actually he is pretty fantastic. My problem with him with England is think he's not able to be pampered in that environment and doesn't deliver that much, but he scored plenty in qualifying so maybe he'll do well this time. I think the problem is often entirely in his head.

I always think of what might have been with Rooney. Euro 2004 I thought we had a real diamond. Unfortunately since then he's played in 3 tournaments in which he's been either dire or average. Even the average 2012 tournament might be giving him too much credit. He was rusty when he finally got on the pitch,  due to his own stupidity I might add. He really owes us a tournament and if he doesn't deliver,  he may have come to the end of the International road.

Nothing wrong with Rooney, my main concern is the back 4 and whether Hodgson will persist with Gerrard and Henderson with Rooney infront because that clearly doesn't work.

Nothing wrong with Rooney? The fact he hasn't mustered a goal for us at a World Cup suggests there is. He's obviously not our biggest concern and he has to start. But there is clearly some sort of issue with him, which I hope he finally addresses this summer.

While i agree, it should be mentioned that Messi and Ronaldo's WC records are garbage too it doesn't mean much at this point. More worried about the set up and how we use our best players than i am the players themselves.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rooney had the ability to become a genuine world-class footballer up there with your Ronaldos and Messis when he first burst onto the scene - he was that good - but he hasn't scaled those heights and that's down to a combinations of factors namely Fergie, Rooney being too much of a team player, niggly injuries and of course his own attitude.

That said, he is still a marvelous player who has had an amazing career and he is easily in the second tier of top players in world football even today where he for me is on a downard spriral. He'll end up anchoring Man Utd's midfield in the next few years playing out a similar role to that of Scholes over the last 5 or so years and will be remembered as a Premier League great, and an England legend, but never a true gloabl great or even legend.

Ronaldo is a few levels above him and comfortably so.

A lot of the most successful athletes ever to walk the planet didn't lift weights. Everyone's body is different.

:thup:

True, but if they lacking in physical fitness they should work hard on it to make sure they can operate at they're best. Football's not Olympic sprinting, but it's not darts either.

A lot of the most successful athletes ever to walk the planet didn't lift weights. Everyone's body is different.

True, but if they lacking in physical fitness they should work hard on it to make sure they can operate at they're best. Football's not Olympic sprinting, but it's not darts either.

Why've you got a bloke who neglects his body far worse than Wayne Rooney as your avatar then?

I am sure I remember reading somewhere a while back ( I could be mistaken though) that Rooney doesnt do that many gym sessions as he believes he gets paid to play football and not lift weights. May explain alot.

Highlights the stupidity of the man tbh.

Gym sessions are absolutely vital for the modern day athlete. It's not just about going in there and lifting heavy weights to put on Mass, like some body builder.

There are all kinds of tailored programmes to aid your reaction time and explosiveness, not to mention those aimed at helping to prevent against injury. No wonder his injury record isn't great.

I mean why not give yourself every advantage if you really want to be great. The club hires trainers that specialize in this stuff, and are paid to help you reach your full potential physically. Imagine him telling them that crap! "I'm not paid to lift weights", um actually you damn well are you cretin. It's all part of the gig. Very stupid of him.

Ron your response is typical of the English public in regards to Rooney all these years. No one dared criticize him. He's been mollycoddled. Hence the state he's in.

Good player, but could have been so much more.

Deal with it!

The state he's in. :lol:

He's noted for his high work rate in regard to his physical state. As a footballer he's won everything there is to win at club level and will retire as England and Man U's highest scoring player. If you're going to talk utter shit expect to be pulled on it occasionally.

The England's highest scoring player thing means absolutely nowt like. Doesn't tell you anything about who he's scored against, and what the occasion was. And it certainly doesn't inform you of his fairly mediocre scoring rate.

Shola Ameobi is Newcastle's 2nd highest scoring European goalscorer. He must have been class.

Why've you got a bloke who neglects his body far worse than Wayne Rooney as your avatar then?

I think Ben Arfa should try much harder with his fitness, I've never said otherwise. He is slightly different because he's still quite fast and explosive. Why do you ask?

I think Rooney's very good BTW, I just think he should have tried a little bit harder to be in top condition.