The England Thread

Pilko

We've essentially been knocked out of this tournament because of a goal kick and that's hard to accept. 2 years of preparations and qualifying and it comes down to a simple error like that.

Guest Roger Kint

Supporting Newcastle and England ffs - at least we're used to the disappointment I guess.

To think there's people out there who support teams like Barcelona and Brazil - their lives must be so different to mine :lol:

Watching that last night it was only a few black stripes away from one of our games. tactically hpeless, defensively shit and no twat wanting to move at all.

When you listen to the England players it's all about working hard, leave everything on the pitch, putting in a good shift, etc. We just don't out think teams. There doesn't seem to be much on the field intelligence. Working out how to pull a team around to create space in difficult areas. We're not a cerebral bunch when it comes to football :lol:

based on the last two games, we are one of the worst teams in the tournament.

That Italian team was a shadow of the former sides weve seen in past world / European cups & it was a walk in the park for them. As for the two goals we conceded last night, I mean FFS, even we`ve defended better than that last season (at times).

No, someone once said that in life, you get what you deserve, on both occasions this tournament, weve deserved fuck all

When you listen to the England players it's all about working hard, leave everything on the pitch, putting in a good shift, etc. We just don't out think teams. There doesn't seem to be much on the field intelligence. Working out how to pull a team around to create space in difficult areas. We're not a cerebral bunch when it comes to football :lol:

That's where Wilshere would've been useful. While he may not be as attractive a player as someone like Barkley, he's quite good at knowing when to hold on to the ball and when to try and make something happen. Our downfall has really been our soft centre, Gerrard and Henderson have been poor at protecting the defence and dictating the tempo, which isn't really a surprise to anyone.

We really need to produce a top, top class central midfielder in the Vidal mould.

Is there a reason why England don't have any real defensive midfielders? I think it would've worked better if they had a competent defensive midfielder and then Wilshere alongside him rather than playing Gerrard and Henderson

http://i59.tinypic.com/2rxw3l1.png

Hi-tech tactical analysis of the game.

Basically. Stayed the same till Barkley started drifting in from the wing, suddenly Johnson/Baines get more space. Hodgson left a failing system for way to long. We created nowt.

Guest Roger Kint

Is there a reason why England don't have any real defensive midfielders? I think it would've worked better if they had a competent defensive midfielder and then Wilshere alongside him rather than playing Gerrard and Henderson

We were crying out for Wilshere(or Barkley on earlier) last night. That static often invisible midfield was shocking.

I think last night was down to lack of intelligence and too many runners. I was worried against Italy about having too many runners on the pitch at once, but it worked, probably due to the Italians stand off and slower pace allowing the running to work more effectively. Last night we were chased, closed down and bullied out of the game, and this is where a little bit of intelligence comes in. Without Rio (even Terry & Cole) we lack it at the back, without Lampard and certainly Scholes we lack it in midfield and you'd have to go as far back as Shearer to find it upfront. Gerrard is supposed to be that man but for me is nowhere near what we need and with his legs gone and confidence shaky due to his blunder end of season he's come in to this nowhere near the player we needed as a captain. Problem is his successor naturally is Wilshere, which is even more concerning.

With so many runners on the pitch it left the middle soft and vulnerable, no protection for the back 4 while leaving big gaps throughout because there wasn't enough bodies in there.

The parallels with us certainly ring true, no one on the pitch good enough to lead a team, no one good enough to mentally win the battle against other players and their tactics (game playing) and imo its that what led us to look clueless last night as much as anything else.

Blaming the media is the easy way out, we just don't have good enough players for the big stage.

Nonsense. Your squad is easily top 10 in the world in terms of quality of the players. Media is however an easy way out;the media in other countries is not altogether different. Maybe the English football mindset isn't really cut out for competing as a team though; the whole never seems to be the sum of its parts, let alone more.

Blaming the media is the easy way out, we just don't have good enough players for the big stage.

I think we do tbh, not to win it but certainly to do far better than we ever do. We just never look like a World Cup side and always flatter to deceive. We're really lacking in certain areas, namely right back and left wing, but we've again approached a major tournament without any sort of plan.

Trying not to draw too many conclusion from a couple of narrow defeats against one on the best defences in the world and one of the most dangerous forwards. Depressing obviously, but I don't think it's time to trot out all the same old England disappointment headlines.

Guest reefatoon

Henderson and Gerrard as a two is so slow and weak. Neither wanted to grip the game and neither is dynamic enough to make it happen. Gerrard won't be dropped but he should be

Totally agree. Gerrard looks finished and has been awful and Henderson just seems to want to hide behind him the whole time.  Midfield is crap.

Trying not to draw too many conclusion from a couple of narrow defeats against one on the best defences in the world and one of the most dangerous forwards. Depressing obviously, but I don't think it's time to trot out all the same old England disappointment headlines.

:lol: well i for one am shocked at this middle of the road opinion

Guest reefatoon

:lol: well i for one am shocked at this middle of the road opinion

:lol: Ian "Safety" W

Henderson and Gerrard as a two is so slow and weak. Neither wanted to grip the game and neither is dynamic enough to make it happen. Gerrard won't be dropped but he should be

Totally agree. Gerrard looks finished and has been awful and Henderson just seems to want to hide behind him the whole time.  Midfield is crap.

henderson should never have been on the pitch

midfield should have been ox (if fit), wilshere, barkley, lallana & sterling backing up sturridge...if oz unfit then play rooney in midfield or start milner wide to protect the full back on one side

think it's ronaldo who has been saying there's no need for a static/immobile CM/DM for ages and he's right...might as well have had pace and movement in there in the hope we'd outscore teams, once again caution was the order of the day and we went out anyway

henderson man :lol:

Guest reefatoon

Sometimes you get knocked out early but then 4 years later you are back in the tournament quite unpredictably.

:lol:

Oh sorry, let's go mental after two games.

If you can't judge a team on a tournament we've been preparing for for years, then when can you judge them?

It's not hyperbole or knee-jerking to make a judgement on the significant evidence we have. :lol: You're allowed to make a bold judgement/decision/comment and it not be an over-reaction.

:lol:

Oh sorry, let's go mental after two games.

Two games which have led to the embarrassment of being knocked out at the group stages.

Obviously, but we knew before it was a tough group and we wanted to give young players a chance.

I'm not saying it's not a bad result, I just hate the way people trot out the same old criticisms regardless of the actual circumstances.