Would you give Freddy a fresh start?

Dave

The thing is, and I tend to stay away from these debates as they get on my threpneys, however I thought I'd post my two penneth.

At the moment (this latest rumour aside) we are adrift.  No leadership, be it manager, owner, chairman.  We are a newly relegated 'big' name.  We are a scalp for many a championship team who will be out to nock us.  We have an astronomical wage bill, we have players who currently dont know if they will be playing for us next season and we have fans who are, not only not renewing season tickets, but becoming sick, tired and generally pissed off with the whole situation.  At present, we will, for the opening game of the season have around 25k attendance guestimate.  In other words, on a downwards, slippery slope with no outlet or hope in sight.  

If Shepherd takes over, we will at least have a manager, an expierienced footballing chairman and generally a solid foundation to work on.  Yes Shepherd was a liability, we overspent and made some horrendous decisions during his reign.  On the flipside, the manager was backed to the hilt, we were finishing in champions league positions, we actually spent money during transfer windows and didnt end up with a negative net spend.  People are worried about any debt accumulated by him, however to be succesful you have to speculate to acumulate.  You have to look at Liverpool/Man U etc just to realise manageable debt means success unfortunately.  Dont forget, he also has rumoured financial backing from other parties, so will not be let loose to spend spend spend.

Anyhow. I could rant on for ages.  Its not the best deal in the world for Newcastle, however I, along with many others that I have spoken to are saying better the devil you know.  

I just want things sorted one way or another.

SBR wasn't, and all too frequently the manager was undermined by having players bought and sold. As far as I can see (remember) Freddy picked the managers but could never quite let go and let them actually manage. That said, he could well have a good working relationship with Shearer. Don't know though.

Not backing bobby with players

Selling Speed under Bobby's nose

Sacking Bobby a few games into a new season

Hiring Souness

Paying £11M for Luque

Paying 15+M for Owen

Damien Duff

Lee Bowyer

Not putting contracts clauses in place

Graeme Fucking Souness FFS

Stalling and ending up with Roeder

Fat Sam

Toon Gate

Geordie Nation

Sky Sports Interviews

Fuck off Freddie

If you were faced with the choice between MA and FS, what would it be? That's the situation we are in right now.

Well not entirely, we could always wait for another bidder in the future.

Yep, but that would mean sticking with MA for the time being. And can we afford that going in to the new season without a manager and cost-cutting like crazy?

Hiring Souness

Paying £11M for Luque

Paying 15+M for Owen

Damien Duff

Lee Bowyer

Graeme f***ing Souness FFS

Fat Sam

Toon Gate

Geordie Nation

Sky Sports Interviews

f*** off Freddie

ALL of this - plus the nepotism, constant dealings with the likes of McKay etc AND the way he started the club's downfall by failing to either back SBR or bring in a new manager in the summer of 2003(because he didn't want money spent at that time) - is the reason that, after almost half a century, I will be finished with Newcastle United if it falls under his influence again.

Whatever happened in past years, we always had hope that something better may be around the corner, but there is no way I would feel like that with him in charge - if NUFC has to depend on FS taking over to survive, then the club isn't worth a light in my view.

Will never enter SJP again if this happens - the club will be a total laughing stock and deservedly-so.

Nooooooooooooo.

Would you give Joey Barton a fresh start this season? How about Michael Owen if he suddenly signed a new contract? Why in gods name would I give a fresh start to a man who essentially exploited the club, put us into financial turmoil and slagged off the fans?

And that's not even mentioning appointing Souness when absolutely nobody wanted him.

I almost put 'Would you give Hitler a fresh start' but thought that was a tad far-fetched.

I almost put 'Would you give Hitler a fresh start' but thought that was a tad far-fetched.

Too late, someone already said they would!

I'm just disappointed because it would almost have been worth going through the Ashley nightmare, and relegation, if we could have come out of it with a decent owner and a bit of potential stability.

If we end up back where we started I don't see any reason to be optimistic.

Hiring Souness

Paying £11M for Luque

Paying 15+M for Owen

Damien Duff

Lee Bowyer

Fat Sam

Toon Gate

Geordie Nation

Sky Sports Interviews

f*** off Freddie

ALL of this - plus the nepotism, constant dealings with the likes of McKay etc AND the way he started the club's downfall by failing to either back SBR or bring in a new manager in the summer of 2003(because he didn't want money spent at that time) - is the reason that, after almost half a century, I will be finished with Newcastle United if it falls under his influence again.

Whatever happened in past years, we always had hope that something better may be around the corner, but there is no way I would feel like that with him in charge - if NUFC has to depend on FS taking over to survive, then the club isn't worth a light in my view.

Will never enter SJP again if this happens - the club will be a total laughing stock and deservedly-so.

My sentiments exactly

Hiring Souness

Paying £11M for Luque

Paying 15+M for Owen

Damien Duff

Lee Bowyer

Fat Sam

Toon Gate

Geordie Nation

Sky Sports Interviews

f*** off Freddie

Yup.

Hiring Souness

Paying £11M for Luque

Paying 15+M for Owen

Damien Duff

Lee Bowyer

Fat Sam

Toon Gate

Geordie Nation

Sky Sports Interviews

f*** off Freddie

I've got to give respect to someone who has followed NUFC for 50 years, but isn't this an overreaction?

I remember spending my early years supporting NUFC in the 80's (after Keegan had left) and early 90's thinking that we were nothing more than a club who would forever be in the lower reach of Division 1 or in Division 2. There were times under Ardiles when I thought I would never see NUFC competing with the top clubs again.

I never felt like that under FS. Completely the opposite - even as the buffoon stumbled from one chaotic gaff to another, I always thought that we were in a blip, and we were one appointment away from challenging again. I had seen it with the Daglish/Gullit blip, followed by great times under Robson. Souness/Roeder/Allardyce was supposed to be just another blip.

My view of FS is that he gambled irresponsibly with the club's finances trying to put as back where we were in the Robson days. The nepotism, use of McKay and other and public gaffs, and taking a healthy profit from the club would have been overlooked by most if he had managed to get it right with one of his appointments post Robson. But he didn't, and paid the price by being shafted by the Halls and being forced out.

I'm not saying I'm overjoyed that he might be back. However what is more likely:

1. That he is sitting on a golf course in Spain with £50m in the bank and decides that in his 60's he would quite like to go and try and go through the abuse and pressure of going back to NUFC where he knows that he is generally hated, just to try and make a few extra £m.

2. His ego is such that he wanted to be the person remembered for bringing some silverware to NUFC, and sees this as a chance he thought he had missed?

I'm going for 2. And whatever his faults, I would be veryhappy if he achieves his goal.

That's a good post that. I always thought FS had good ambitions for the club, he was just incapable of pulling them off. And he overspent to get us there, paying the price when we fell short.

I don't see any reason to want him back though, except that Ashley is worse of course.

Ashley wants out and if nobody else is beating down the doors to buy us, then Freddy is it, and there's no sense in complaining about it or not supporting him or the club.

As it stands right now, we either have Freddy or we have nobody - Ashley will not spend any more of his money on us. Having nobody means we are going nowhere but down. Having Freddy gives us a chance at stability with Shearer as a long term manager and a chance at getting back to the Premiership.

So, if he does end up buying the club, all I can say is "welcome back and good luck."

That's a good post that. I always thought FS had good ambitions for the club, he was just incapable of pulling them off. And he overspent to get us there, paying the price when we fell short.

I don't see any reason to want him back though, except that Ashley is worse of course.

And that is the crux of the matter,unless someone better/richer/more ambitious comes in,it's end of thread.

I see Shepherd as a Chairman who is capable of running a club that can make it's way out of the Championship in a swift fashion.

That is 100% all it boils down to for me. I've never been that clued up on the financial side of things, but i'm well aware he made some shocking managerial appointments. But i mean, are people forgetting that Alan Shearer is sat there waiting to sign a significant deal, or what? ??? Shepherd will appoint Shearer, he will let him clear out the squad, and we can kick on.

Getting Shepherd back is probably a tad iffy in the long term. But if it means we'll be right back where we started, before Ashley came in (from a FOOTBALLING perspective), then i'll be very, very happy - cos we'll be in the Premiership.

Who gives a fuck who is in charge?

As long as the club is run with a modicum of footballing sense and the team gets off its arse and plays well enough to compete at the top end of the championship next season, i'll be happy.

For far too long this club has been divided by petty partisan loyalties, infected by personal prejudices and irrational criteria for deeming the direction of the club satisfactory.

If Shearer is the right man to take us forward (those 8 games werent enough) and the new owners put him in charge and back him to the best of their financial and administrative ability, they can be aliens for all i fucking care.