Would you give Freddy a fresh start?

Dave

I'd be f***ing horrified if Fat Fred returned. His mismanagement of this club is the reason we're in the s*** in the first place. He did nothing whilst here but get us into debt and line the pockets of himself and his friends and family.

Anyone wanting him back must have s*** for brains.

YES! Someone with a memory.

Guest firetotheworks

I'd be f***ing horrified if Fat Fred returned. His mismanagement of this club is the reason we're in the s*** in the first place. He did nothing whilst here but get us into debt and line the pockets of himself and his friends and family.

What an annoying thing to say, especially with that avatar.

No I don't trust that bugger he will dig some holes to make profit out of us and put us in more debts. Yes we lost our league status but we are debt free and with a good and sound system the one Profitable coming up we will rise again.

No I don't trust that bugger he will dig some holes to make profit out of us and put us in more debts. Yes we lost our league status but we are debt free and with a good and sound system the one Profitable coming up we will rise again.

:lol: If Profitable Group were to own us the first thing they'd do is to take the club apart, and liquidate the company while the directors run off with the money.

A picture of Moyles winds you up?

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, but thats another story obviously. Saying that people have a short memory is a bit degrading tbh, everyone remembers how shit Shepherd was, only NE5 would defend him beyond reason. The point is that what good is going to do by constantly looking for something to hate him for if he comes back?

Im not sure if this whole horrible episode is going to make me less trusting of the people in charge, but as bad as this may sound, the idea of having Shepherd, and at least knowing what to expect is strangely appealing at the moment.

Yes, I want things to be done right, and I'd probably prefer many over Shepherd, but if he is in a position that doesnt allow him to pull the shit he did last time then fuck it, move onwards and upwards and learn from our history instead of being bitter about it.

I wont forget what he did, but I'd give him a chance to write some wrongs. Not because I've changed my opinion on him, and not because he's earned the right to. It's because Mike Ashley has earned him the right to, and for me that's what it comes down to.

No.

I mean, what would we actually get? If we're lucky, a Shepherd with his debts paid off. But a Shepherd with new ideas?

The old board brought us some success in a totally different football/business climate, but were not able to sustain it. In their last five years we went from riding high to being a mid-table/bottom-half club – a trajectory that showed no signs of changing for the better at the time they cashed in their chips – and they threw more and more money at the problem in a failed attempt to stem the tide.

That's all they seemed to know how to do – throw money at it. When it worked this was "backing the manager"; when it didn't it left us with the fifth-highest wage bill in the Premiership and a crippling wages/turnover ratio to pay for an increasingly mediocre, bottom-half team, and a shitload of debt with just about every future revenue stream in hock.

As SJH admitted in so many words, they had run out of ideas.

Sorry, but even if a returning Shepherd was supplied with new money to throw, more than ever we need to be run by someone who can take a broader view of the club, continue the aggressive development of the academy that Ashley got off to a stuttering start, build a world-class scouting network, and look a bit further into the future than the next dividend day.

Shepherd and "fresh start" is a contradiction in terms. This club badly needs to get its head out of its past.

Aye, but thats another story obviously. Saying that people have a short memory is a bit degrading tbh, everyone remembers how s*** Shepherd was, only NE5 would defend him beyond reason. The point is that what good is going to do by constantly looking for something to hate him for if he comes back?

Im not sure if this whole horrible episode is going to make me less trusting of the people in charge, but as bad as this may sound, the idea of having Shepherd, and at least knowing what to expect is strangely appealing at the moment.

Yes, I want things to be done right, and I'd probably prefer many over Shepherd, but if he is in a position that doesnt allow him to pull the s*** he did last time then f*** it, move onwards and upwards and learn from our history instead of being bitter about it.

I wont forget what he did, but I'd give him a chance to write some wrongs. Not because I've changed my opinion on him, and not because he's earned the right to. It's because Mike Ashley has earned him the right to, and for me that's what it comes down to.

Fair enough on the memory thing, but I can't accept that Shepherd could change that much and as I've said having seen him in action I won't ever trust, accept or like him again.

If he did come back, I'd hope it worked out. Naturally, I'm a supporter.

But I'd much rather see someone else. You'd have to assume that Shepherd would start where he finished off, and by the end he was running the club badly. He has plenty of experience, but I think there's a stubborn, ruthless streak in him which makes it difficult for him to admit, even to himself, when he's got something wrong. As a Chairman, he actually got worse as time went on.

In his time on the Board, there were three phases. When he was working under Sir John's Chairmanship, things went well. When he became Chairman, with Freddie Fletcher as his Chief Exec, things stuttered but then recovered under Robson (although it's clear from Robson's book that Shepherd was very reluctant to appoint him and others were pushing it) When Freddie Fletcher left, and with the Halls taking a back seat, Shepherd took sole charge and everything went downhill.

I suspect if he came back, we'd have the third version, only possibly worse. He has qualities of energy and determination, but that's not enough. He also got far too involved in the footballing side, instead of trusting his manager's judgement.

No.  People forget how bad he was!

it was awful playing in the championsleague.

It was awful watching Souness's and Allardyce's teams

do you really think he would appoint them again?

Maybe not them but certainly some one else of that caliber, he can't help himself.

Maybe not them but certainly some one else of that caliber, he can't help himself.

Big names that's his problem, he loves a name far to much even if it's the wrong time, wrong price, wrong person.

Big names that's his problem, he loves a name far to much even if it's the wrong time, wrong price, wrong person.

Exactly!!.

No way.

People are very quick to forget;

- Hands in the til

- Spouting his daily propaganda through his floppy cheeked pal by bending him with his programme job

- Poor appointments

- Worse - going behind their backs with signings

- All of his 'Geordie Nation' bollocks.

Yes, we're all hurting from Ashley's shocking tenure but this is true frying pan and fire stuff in my opinion.

Never go back. Never forget.

Its like asking would you give Ashley a fresh start? Both have fucked up and neither should be allowed back to run our club.

Anyone thinking maybe or even yes should just look back at the threads from a couple of years ago. Alright he brought in big names but at whose expense? Freddy was just as bad as Ashley in a lot of ways. As you can probably guess, I'm a definate no!

From an outsider's perspective, ultimately I would. Despite all the bullshit, the recklessness, the fact was you enjoyed some relative success.

If he actually mixed a bit of long-term stability into the concoction then things could well work. Whether that's in the Fat Controller's mentality is a different question.

I think the point is would to give FFS a fresh start if he was the top man, making all the financial and business decisions.

For me .... no.

If he was just there to run the club and was basically employed by "the money men" and therefore accountable to them?

I'm still not sure, maybe.

It's getting to that time where the situation is so bad that the second option might be the lesser of two evils. But in all honesty i would obviously want a new ambitious owner with the clubs best intrests at heart (who wouldn't).