Obafemi Martins joins Wolfsburg for £9m

Guest Geordiesned

Not sure if I'm that excited tbh. If this is a prelude to the club being sold then fine but to me is shows a sign that Ashley's taking the opportunity to make the club sale more attrative, and if he's got a ceiling price for when selling a player does not devalue the club's price, then that does not go well for the rest of the transfer window as we still have no replacements in.

The money for the sale will go into the club and not directly into Ashley's pocket, of course but an extra income 9mill over however many years will help balance the books a little so too will the loss of Martins's salary from our wage bill.

At this moment in time I'm even more worried than I was before, as if this is true,  and I guess we are still waiting for confirmation, it signals that despite the talk of transfer embargos, every player has his price. This won't be lost on the rest of the squad and their agents, who I'm sure will push on with their efforts to get a move, leaving us with an already paper thin squad even thinner.

Don't assume he's selling Martins because the club sale is just around the corner, and that 9million will really help us build the squad again,  he's just looking out for himself as he always has. Need I remind everyone how happy we were with 12 million for Milner only to find the money for that deal not being used in a manner we hoped.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

;)

I know, I'm sick of hearing negative crap all the time too, but if there's one thing we can learn this close season is never expect Ashley to do anything that makes sense and he really does not give a shit about the club at all.

Guest Dennis Carter

If the people in charge had any sense and stayed away and listened on BBC Newcastle rather than turning up to the game then they'd spend the Martins money on Fabian Delph who I hear from Mick Lowes cannot do wrong

9m for a player who did fuck all bar give the linesman a reason to use his flag? superb. Even if he wasnt being sold by the ashley regime he'd of had to go with the next one so it's no biggy.

I'm happy with that, I'd have snapped their hands off at half that. He might have been our best striker, but it says more about the quality of our other strikers than it does about the quality of Martins.

If the people in charge had any sense and stayed away and listened on BBC Newcastle rather than turning up to the game then they'd spend the Martins money on Fabian Delph who I hear from Mick Lowes cannot do wrong

It'll take alot more than £9m before we can start spending.

Pleased with £9m, overall thought he was a let down.

And, of course, it's £9 million that our manager can invest in the squad....... :rolleyes:

At least it is a sign that there is someone making a decision - Oba had to go, no way can a Championship club keep a player worth anything like that amount and earning £65k (or whatever) a week.

The fee is about right for him. No matter his faults, he's still a 15 goal striker who has pace, can create his own goals, proven in the Premiership and in Serie A, and is only 24. Anything less would be a bit of a pisstake imo.

A good analysis of the deal. While others are parping hilariously over his faults and have done so for a couple of seasons, no one else in our awful squad will fetch anything like this fee.

I was once a huge fan of Martins, and a lot of other players on this Newcastle team, now i could not give more fuck who leaves or who stays.

Fuck of the whole lot of them.

Agree.

Guest Dennis Carter

I was once a huge fan of Martins, and a lot of other players on this Newcastle team, now i could not give more f*** who leaves or who stays.

f*** of the whole lot of them.

And the IRA...

Guest Wally_McFool

I was once a huge fan of Martins, and a lot of other players on this Newcastle team, now i could not give more fuck who leaves or who stays.

Agree.

Aye, me too.

Guest BigTrev

£9m is decent business.

You bought him for £10m right? Since then he's flattered to deceive imo.

£9m is decent business but lescot is worth more than £19m are you sure about this?

Agree.

Concur.

£9m is decent business.

I think he's suffered from playing in front of a shite midfield same as Owen has. He's not top class but he'll be a dangerous forward for a mid level team.

£9m is decent business.

You're right mostly and as I said above he had to go - but it's decent business for who? We are in a different place to virtually every other club right now. Rejoicing over transfer fees went out the window in the aftermath of the Milner / Villa deal tbh.