Obafemi Martins joins Wolfsburg for £9m

Guest Geordiesned

That's not what I asked.

I've seen the matches and if he's a woeful player, what does that make the rest of the squad? IMO, even if he's not that good, he's miles better than the vast majority of our playing staff and that will be backed up when the squad is sold off. If you can name me 6 players who will fetch a bigger fee you'll have a point.

How the hell can you judge the quality of a player over the rest of his team mates by price you will get for them?

Is Beye a terrible player because he may leave for as little as 500k?  If Nolan goes for 2 million he is better footballer than Beye 4 times over?

I judged the players on performances in which i saw many better players than Martins, not saying those 'better' players are good players, but the best of a bad lot.

The only criteria I use to judge a player is do we have better options or not?

Yes, Super Shola!

His only weakness is grass.

That's not what I asked.

I've seen the matches and if he's a woeful player, what does that make the rest of the squad? IMO, even if he's not that good, he's miles better than the vast majority of our playing staff and that will be backed up when the squad is sold off. If you can name me 6 players who will fetch a bigger fee you'll have a point.

How the hell can you judge the quality of a player over the rest of his team mates by price you will get for them?

Is Beye a terrible player because he may leave for as little as 500k?  If Nolan goes for 2 million he is better footballer than Beye 4 times over?

I judged the players on performances in which i saw many better players than Martins, not saying those 'better' players are good players, but the best of a bad lot.

The only criteria I use to judge a player is do we have better options or not?

Yes, Super Shola!

His only weakness is grass.

and footballs  :pow:

Martins was brilliant 1st season, showed a lot of promise but like the club has gone backwards and his heart doesn't seem in it anymore.

If we get what we paid for him we've done well.

I am by no means saying that Martins is a brilliant footballer or that he didn't underperform badly in the final 2 months of the season. However, it baffles me that so few on this board aren't willing to acknowledge the fact that with his injury, he shouldn't really have been on the pitch under Shearer.

The fact is, he played through the pain, played poorly and gets accused of a lack of effort, it's laughable.

So, how much do you want for him from Wolfsburg?

I go with €10m

Hopeful but achievable imo.

Mr. Ashley would accept somewhere around half that, no doubt.

Ironically, the only thing he seems to be willing to hold out on for a good price seems to be the club itself.

I am by no means saying that Martins is a brilliant footballer or that he didn't underperform badly in the final 2 months of the season. However, it baffles me that so few on this board aren't willing to acknowledge the fact that with his injury, he shouldn't really have been on the pitch under Shearer.

The fact is, he played through the pain, played poorly and gets accused of a lack of effort, it's laughable.

I didn't think he looked committed all season to be honest. Not compared to how he'd looked in the two preceeding seasons anyway.

I didn't think he looked committed all season to be honest. Not compared to how he'd looked in the two preceeding seasons anyway.

You're certainly not the only one who thinks this.

The fact is, before his injury he'd managed 6 goals in 12 games. If that represents a lack of effort it also represents some fucking ability, especially in our team

I don't think Martins lacks commitment at all, in fact he's one of the few players who seem to have some affection for the club.

The problem is that for a variety of reasons (inconsistency, form, confidence, club turmoil etc) he has never produced on the pitch. Therefore I can't bring myself to be sorry he's going.

He's probably in my top few personal favourite toon players, but there's nobody I'd be really sorry to see go at the moment.

So, how much do you want for him from Wolfsburg?

I go with €10m

Hopeful but achievable imo.

If we weren't relegated and desperate to shift his wages, I'd want around £14m. Inflated, yes, but others seem to have no trouble getting ridiculous fees for decent/average players.

In our current plight, I'd want £10m, even if that's unrealistic. I see him as a 15 goal striker with the much sought after commodity called pace. He's proven in the Premiership and Serie A, and still only 24 year olds. When on form, he's a dangerous striker for any opposition to face because he's unpredictable, i.e. can turn defenders easily and get a shot off with either foot. As a package, I think he'd be valuable in the eyes of other managers who'd be willing to take a punt on him. He has flaws, but then based on previous sales flaws don't seem to be considered much when going for a player with good attributes on paper - Jenas went for what, £9m? Dyer for £6m after years of constantly breaking down. Same for Woodgate who went for £13m.

The fact is, before his injury he'd managed 6 goals in 12 games. If that represents a lack of effort it also represents some fucking ability, especially in our team

All season?

The fact is, before his injury he'd managed 6 goals in 12 games. If that represents a lack of effort it also represents some f***ing ability, especially in our team

All season?

before his injury I said

We actually don't have that bad a record at selling people for decent prices, except Given.

Shush, I've selectively erased any evidence from my brain that might convince me that Ashley is not Satan.

The fact is, before his injury he'd managed 6 goals in 12 games. If that represents a lack of effort it also represents some f***ing ability, especially in our team

All season?

before his injury I said

You must of missed some of his 8-10 game streak of not scoring long before his injury this year.

Or regularly missing sitters at the close of this year, when it really mattered.

All season?

before his injury I said

You must of missed some of his 8-10 game streak of not scoring long before his injury this year.

Or regularly missing sitters at the close of this year, when it really mattered.

He got injured in December mate. Before that he was scoring goals and playing well, there was no streak of not scoring

At this precise moment Martins is sat in the bar at Gateshead Hilton talking to two guys. No papers in front of them and he keeps wandering off. Make of that what you will.

EDIT - Keeps wandering away from the others to take/make calls on his mobile.

At this precise moment Martins is sat in the bar at Gateshead Hilton talking to two guys. No papers in front of them and he keeps wandering off. Make of that what you will.

Drug deal.

Make a loud bang and see if he hits the deck.

All season?

before his injury I said

He got injured in December mate. Before that he was scoring goals and playing well, there was no streak of not scoring

Look at the season before he went 10 games without scoring.  He weren't playing with an injury either.

Drug deal.

Make a loud bang and see if he hits the deck.

:lol:

All season?

before his injury I said

Look at the season before he went 10 games without scoring.  He weren't playing with an injury either.

I was talking about last season though, not the season before.

Guest BooBoo

If he buggers off to Wolfsburg, and here's hoping, I don't think he'll particularly register on the radar of most English football fans ever again.

All season?

before his injury I said

I was talking about last season though, not the season before.

You were asking us all to rate him on his appearances before he was injured..  so the season before that should apply surely?  He was fit and healthy and not producing then.