Obafemi Martins joins Wolfsburg for £9m

Guest Geordiesned

Quite frankly a lot of you are full of bullshit. I'm under no illusions that Martins wants to/can stay, loves the club.. etc, but to blame his missed chances for the relegation is pathetic and shows that either people haven't watched the games at all or they just don't have a clue about football.

"Good riddance" eh?.. It was the same with Bellamy, it was the same with Robert and Given.. even f***ing N'Zogbia. Man, I'm glad we got rid of those unprofessional wasters, we're so much better without them disrupting the team spirit, aren't we..

Finally we've assembled a squad full of honest professionals - Butt, Nolan, Smith, Duff, Geremi, R Taylor.. We'll surely reap the rewards in the next few years.

So you believe Martins wants to stay?  That sentence is backwards.

Most of the chances fell to Martins by the way .. Arsenal penalty .. taking it with his weaker foot!  and Spurs especially,  he is a woeful player.  Or have you not seen those matches?

It's not the missing of chances that is his worst trait, it's his complete lack of understanding for football and the job of a striker. His decision making is shit, his off the ball movement is shit, his anticipation is shit and awareness of others is shit. Purely an aesthetic player, fast, strong, can score nice goals, but nothing going on underneath that.

So ironic that a guy who obviously rates Martins accuses others of not understanding football. :lol:

Quite frankly a lot of you are full of bullshit. I'm under no illusions that Martins wants to/can stay, loves the club.. etc, but to blame his missed chances for the relegation is pathetic and shows that either people haven't watched the games at all or they just don't have a clue about football.

"Good riddance" eh?.. It was the same with Bellamy, it was the same with Robert and Given.. even f***ing N'Zogbia. Man, I'm glad we got rid of those unprofessional wasters, we're so much better without them disrupting the team spirit, aren't we..

Finally we've assembled a squad full of honest professionals - Butt, Nolan, Smith, Duff, Geremi, R Taylor.. We'll surely reap the rewards in the next few years.

Most of the chances fell to Martins by the way .. Arsenal penalty .. taking it with his weaker foot!  and Spurs especially,  he is a woeful player.  Or have you not seen those matches?

I've seen the matches and if he's a woeful player, what does that make the rest of the squad? IMO, even if he's not that good, he's miles better than the vast majority of our playing staff and that will be backed up when the squad is sold off. If you can name me 6 players who will fetch a bigger fee you'll have a point.

Guest Heneage

But he's no different to Owen, who gathered so much abuse. He faked injuries, to get out of games like Stoke, and missed sitters against Spurs and Portsmouth.

In layman's terms

Striker = Paid to score goals

Striker + Missing easy chances - Lots of wages = Shit striker.

I've seen the matches and if he's a woeful player, what does that make the rest of the squad? IMO, even if he's not that good, he's miles better than the vast majority of our playing staff and that will be backed up when the squad is sold off. If you can name me 6 players who will fetch a bigger fee you'll have a point.

Got to agree with Big TRon like.

What is Nolan to a central midfield? What is Geremi to a wing? you can do this to almost every player and the answer is shit. Martins is better in his position than the majority of the other players. 

Nolan, Geremi, Butt, Duff, Smith etc etc etc are probably on similar wages aswell. If Martins is shit, fuck knows what the rest of the squad are.

Got to agree with Big TRon like.

What is Nolan to a central midfield? What is Geremi to a wing? you can do this to almost every player and the answer is shit. Martins is better in his position than the majority of the other players. 

Nolan, Geremi, Butt, Duff, Smith etc etc etc are probably on similar wages aswell. If Martins is shit, fuck knows what the rest of the squad are.

Exactly. It's not a defence of Martins either, I'd be quite happy to see him go except i doubt we'd buy a replacement. But describing him as shite while we've got a squad of players who couldn't run from one end of the pitch to the other without the help of a pacemaker is a bit rich.

Where does that end though? Surely then you could say that the second worst player at the club shouldn't get a rough deal just because there's one player worse than him? This isn't a thread about the whole squad, it's about Martins.

Your way of judging a player is the bigger the fee the better they must be? 

Well, Michael Owen went to Man Utd for nothing and i would certainly say that MO is a better striker than Martins, since he has a brain and had the best shots to goals ratio in PL last year.

Beye is a better player too, S Taylor, Barton, Bassong and Enrique also,  not as big a reputation obviously as Martins...  I'm not even saying these are good players.. but merely making a case that these are better than an overrated headless chicken, who can't finish.

Big Tron seems to contradict himself tbh. Of course there won't be 6 players who fetch a bigger fee, but then again only Colo was signed for a bigger fee in the first place. We could have spent the odd £4m and £5m fees much better, in the same way we could have also spent the £10m in a much better way.

Well, Michael Owen went to Man Utd for nothing and i would certainly say that MO is a better striker than Martins, since he has a brain and had the best shots to goals ratio in PL last year.

Beye is a better player too, S Taylor, Barton, Bassong and Enrique also,  not as big a reputation obviously as Martins...  I'm not even saying these are good players.. but merely making a case that these are better than an overrated headless chicken, who can't finish.

Martins is being paid too much at this club, but that is the case with the vast majority of our squad including all those players (except Bassong) you mentioned there. Owen might have been a better striker but he scored no goals in three months while getting us relegated. how does that support your view?

Big Tron seems to contradict himself tbh. Of course there won't be 6 players who fetch a bigger fee, but then again only Colo was signed for a bigger fee in the first place. We could have spent the odd £4m and £5m fees much better, in the same way we could have also spent the £10m in a much better way.

At least we have the chance to recoup some money from Martins. Good luck on that score with Smith, Barton, Colo, Duff. Nolan etc.

It seems to me because players like Smith get let off with rediculous statements like 'they'll do a job in the championship', simply because we have no chance of selling them at a decent price or giving them away in some cases. Not to worry though like, cause you know, they'll do a job in the championship!

But Martins, who actually has enough about him to command a decent transfer fee from a decent team, gets slagged off and told to fuck off.

Martins is being paid too much at this club, but that is the case with the vast majority of our squad including all those players (except Bassong) you mentioned there. Owen might have been a better striker but he scored no goals in three months while getting us relegated. how does that support your view?

Michael Owen not scoring in 3 months doesn't have anything to do with 'my view' .. which was that Martins has been woeful and he missed the most chances in the close of last year.

Michael Owen not scoring in 3 months doesn't have anything to do with 'my view' .. which was that Martins has been woeful and he missed the most chances in the close of last year.

You did bring Michael Owen into this conversation with your endorsement of his brainy play and super goals per shit ratio if you scroll back up and care to take a look.

You did bring Michael Owen into this conversation with your endorsement of his brainy play and super goals per s*** ratio if you scroll back up and care to take a look.

I did, when you said how could Martins be a woeful player when he will be the most costly from our team,  which in itself is wrong..

I chose to not judge a player on price and more on performances and quality..  and listed 6 players who were better than Martins last year (as you asked).

My original point was that Martins has been woeful for the majority of his career here and he did miss the most chances at the close of the season and highlighted 2 games in particular... never about Michael Owen.

You did bring Michael Owen into this conversation with your endorsement of his brainy play and super goals per s*** ratio if you scroll back up and care to take a look.

I did, when you said how could Martins be a woeful player when he will be the most costly from our team,  which in itself is wrong..

I chose to not judge a player on price and more on performances and quality..  and listed 6 players who were better than Martins last year (as you asked)...

That's not what I asked.

That's not what I asked.

How the hell can you judge the quality of a player over the rest of his team mates by price you will get for them?

Is Beye a terrible player because he may leave for as little as 500k?  If Nolan goes for 2 million he is better footballer than Beye 4 times over?

I judged the players on performances in which i saw many better players than Martins, not saying those 'better' players are good players, but the best of a bad lot.

He was only good in his first season here, really let us down this season and looked completely disinterested agains Orient. How much do you reckon we'll get for him?

It's a weird one that, because his best football by far came in what should have been his toughest season - his first year in England, most games up front on his own - exactly the sort of circumstances you wouldn't expect him to thrive in. But he's regressed noticably year on year since then. Decent reputation mind, abotu £7m would be my guess.

He improved as a player in his second year imo, you could tell early on in the season under Allardyce (see goal away at Man City) - but he went cold cos he was shoved out on the wing for the majority of that tenure. Was at the ANC when Keegan came in but he was brilliant in the run towards the end of the season. His best football for us was in the Keegan 4-3-3 - an attacking formation that he thrived on.

Not to make excuses for him... like many - his heart wasn't in it this season and i fell out of love with the bloke a little bit, but in a good footballing side he's a fucking effective player imo. Never a brilliant striker but with comfortable surroundings he's proven to be a pretty vital cog on many occassions in the last three years. He was pretty tasty with Kieron Dyer n'all.

It's a shame that he was more of a luxury player than one to be relied on in his time year. He was always seen as pretty vital though but couldn't live up to it cos he wasn't good enough. Like a few of our better players in the last few years - i'd see him as a third choice in Sir Bobby's squad... if you see what i mean. I'd put the likes of Jonas, Parker, Enrique, Taylor and the likes in that sort of category. Good, effective players in the right surroundings but never good enough to be relied upon.

Remains one of me all time favourites, like. I can understand why people don't like him but that's just me.

That's not what I asked.

How the hell can you judge the quality of a player over the rest of his team mates by price you will get for them?

Is Beye a terrible player because he may leave for as little as 500k?  If Nolan goes for 2 million he is better footballer than Beye 4 times over?

I judged the players on performances in which i saw many better players than Martins, not saying those 'better' players are good players, but the best of a bad lot.

The only criteria I use to judge a player is do we have better options or not?