Obafemi Martins joins Wolfsburg for £9m

Guest Geordiesned

He was only good in his first season here, really let us down this season and looked completely disinterested agains Orient. How much do you reckon we'll get for him?

It's a weird one that, because his best football by far came in what should have been his toughest season - his first year in England, most games up front on his own - exactly the sort of circumstances you wouldn't expect him to thrive in. But he's regressed noticably year on year since then. Decent reputation mind, abotu £7m would be my guess.

Or was it more a case of him being an unknown quantity in the Premiership where defenders backed off because they were scared of his potential pace, before they cottoned on to the fact that really, he wasn't much to worry about after all?

He was only good in his first season here, really let us down this season and looked completely disinterested agains Orient. How much do you reckon we'll get for him?

It's a weird one that, because his best football by far came in what should have been his toughest season - his first year in England, most games up front on his own - exactly the sort of circumstances you wouldn't expect him to thrive in. But he's regressed noticably year on year since then. Decent reputation mind, abotu £7m would be my guess.

Or was it more a case of him being an unknown quantity in the Premiership where defenders backed off because they were scared of his potential pace, before they cottoned on to the fact that really, he wasn't much to worry about after all?

Yeah, maybe. I prefer the theory that playing alongside Sibierski is really good, and he's secretly a world class striker who allows others to thrive around him.

Best striker we had since Shearer retired.. and I seriously doubt we'll buy a better one in the next 3 seasons.

You might be technically right there, but that's because everyone else has been terrible surely? He hasn't actually achieved much for us, has he?

aye, if he wants to go i'd rather he went abroad and that we get a good price for him. wouldn't like to see him sign for wigan or hull or someone like that.

I think the orange tinted man at Hull will try and sign him. 

Guest Alan_Shearer

He best not go, Ashley is a c*nt, if we had stability by now noone else would be leaving.

He best not go, Ashley is a c*nt, if we had stability by now noone else would be leaving.

If we had stability we would likely have already sold a lot of our players surely?

TBH, there's not one player at the club I would shed a tear over at the moment. There's a couple who have done alright, but if they want out then so be it... they've been involved in one of the worst periods in our recent history, there's no reason to rate any of them very highly.

I dare say you could argue that Ashley is at home thinking that if he hadn't missed some of those easy-ish chances in the last 2 or 3 games we'd not be down in the first place.

Owen would have put those chances away without a doubt. It was good luck for us that we had England's finest banging in the crucial goals in those last few matches otherwise we would have been doomed...

Hope he packs those boots that allow him to score a screamer once every ten games but fail to put away piss easy chances week in, week out.

Cliche ridden.

And where exactly did that cliche come from?  Because as was pointed out even by managers who played him, he was a scorer of great goals and not a great goal scorer.  He has a brilliant highlight reel but regularly failed to slot away the bread and butter chances that a striker needs to.

Is this Oba only scores screamers stuff really still being peddled on here?

Goodness me ...

Good thing all our other strikers were so much smarter and intelligent and scored such a wonderous variety of goals eh?

Martins has been our best striker since he joined this club.

http://richclark.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/compare_the_meerkat.jpg

Simples.

Hope he packs those boots that allow him to score a screamer once every ten games but fail to put away piss easy chances week in, week out.

Cliche ridden.

And where exactly did that cliche come from?  Because as was pointed out even by managers who played him, he was a scorer of great goals and not a great goal scorer.  He has a brilliant highlight reel but regularly failed to slot away the bread and butter chances that a striker needs to.

Is this Oba only scores screamers stuff really still being peddled on here?

Goodness me ...

Good thing all our other strikers were so much smarter and intelligent and scored such a wonderous variety of goals eh?

http://richclark.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/compare_the_meerkat.jpg

Simples.

He wasn't

Guest The Libertine

that says more about our ineptness in the transfer market over the years than it does about martins.

couldn't agree more with the sib point, he was a great target man for us and in my opinion oba needs a target man to play with. I also feel the loss of Parker, dyer, milner and even emre had a detrimental effect on him as they provided him with creativity from the midfield.

that says more about our ineptness in the transfer market over the years than it does about martins.

It says more about the abysmal midfield which incidentally got outclassed by Leyton Orient yesterday just to showcase how inept they are.

Guest The Libertine

It says more about the abysmal midfield which incidentally got outclassed by Leyton Orient yesterday just to showcase how inept they are.

which goes back to the ineptness in the transfer market.

Oba v. Boro, to take the game still was his shining moment for me. All slowly came crashing down...that post hit a few matches later, ugh. Pompey changes missed, ugh.

Oba v. Boro, falling over himself taking that snop shot. Brought me to tears...I thought we were saved.

Wow, what an accolade, ranks alongside being the best paraplegic juggler.  Martins got the reputation of being able to score the odd wonder goal while squandering simple chances because that's what he's been doing this most of this season.  Simples.

Quite frankly a lot of you are full of bullshit. I'm under no illusions that Martins wants to/can stay, loves the club.. etc, but to blame his missed chances for the relegation is pathetic and shows that either people haven't watched the games at all or they just don't have a clue about football.

"Good riddance" eh?.. It was the same with Bellamy, it was the same with Robert and Given.. even fucking N'Zogbia. Man, I'm glad we got rid of those unprofessional wasters, we're so much better without them disrupting the team spirit, aren't we..

Finally we've assembled a squad full of honest professionals - Butt, Nolan, Smith, Duff, Geremi, R Taylor.. We'll surely reap the rewards in the next few years.

Guest palnese

Bye bye then.. Won't miss him actually. Probably the most frustrating player I've ever seen. So naturally gifted with his physics. The lack of brain rules him out of becoming a topp class striker.