Obafemi Martins joins Wolfsburg for £9m

Guest Geordiesned

Replace Obafemi Martins with Jason Scotland  :lol:

Selling an 8-12 goal a season Premiership striker for £7m, and replacing him with a 20-25 goal a season Championship striker for less than half of that isn't the worst idea in the world tbh.

How many 20-25 goal a season Championship strikers have even managed to get 12 goals a season in the Premiership?

Selling an 8-12 goal a season Premiership striker for £7m, and replacing him with a 20-25 goal a season Championship striker for less than half of that isn't the worst idea in the world tbh.

How many 20-25 goal a season Championship strikers have even managed to get 8-12 goals a season in the Premiership?

Scotland won't have to do that though. He can just play at the same level he's done well at recently and that will be good enough for us.

How many 20-25 goal a season Championship strikers have even managed to get 8-12 goals a season in the Premiership?

aye

Scotland is 30 aswell, i'd rather our entire strikeforce wasn't made up of stop-gap players

How many 20-25 goal a season Championship strikers have even managed to get 12 goals a season in the Premiership?

Chopra.

oh, hang on...

I'd get rid and bring in someone with a bit of Championship pedigree.

Martins probably would be quite handy in the Championship but I want to see the back of almost every player who took us down. Now I understand such a major overhaul is impossible but Obafemi Martins, being one of the highest earners, most injury prone and lacking in ability, would be near the top of my 'Get rid' list.

If we're down we may as well make an attempt a restructuring the financing of the club. There are half a dozen players capable of scoring enough goals in the Championship to bring us back up so we may as well take the risk. We can attract any player in the league so it's not as if we're going to be left with the dregs nee fucker else wanted.

Scotland won't have to do that though. He can just play at the same level he's done well at recently and that will be good enough for us.

Just meant that Martins may very well score more goals then Scotland in the Championship.  Obviously I agree with the idea that we shouldn't have players on £65,000 a week in the Championship, but if we got a new owner who said we could afford it I'd prefer him to stay.

It's also entirely possible that many of our players are only declaring their intention to stay due to the fact it'll almost certainly net them their loyalty bonuses when they are eventually sold. After all none of them played with any heart or passion.

Apparently we've got to pay Owen a substantial fee over the next few weeks as he saw out his contract too.

Just meant that Martins may very well score more goals then Scotland in the Championship.  Obviously I agree with the idea that we shouldn't have players on £65,000 a week in the Championship, but if we got a new owner who said we could afford it I'd prefer him to stay.

Martins is not worth 65k whoever is in charge of the club tbh.

I haven't seen Darren Beckford but I'm hoping he's pretty mobile if he's on his way here. If Oba goes as seems inevitable, we will be losing one of our few players with genuine pace and our squad is already overloaded with tired, washed up players. We don't want any more, these are the type of signings which has seen us relegated.

It's also entirely possible that many of our players are only declaring their intention to stay due to the fact it'll almost certainly net them their loyalty bonuses when they are eventually sold. After all none of them played with any heart or passion.

:thup:

I think there's also a mixture of the fact that they're not particularly desperate to move away from their cushy life here.

Chopra.

oh, hang on...

Darren Bent

Chopra.

oh, hang on...

Darren Bent

Andy Cole

Irrelevant anyway really, we are a championship club and need to start thinking like one. If we start to think we are better than the rest of the teams in this league, i think we will get a nasty shock.

IF we sign Beckford and he scores 25 goals in the chamionship and we get promoted.... then we can start thinking about how they would perform in the premierleague. Before that point i think we should remind ourselves of where we are. 

Irrelevant anyway really, we are a championship club and need to start thinking like one. If we start to think we are better than the rest of the teams in this league, i think we will get a nasty shock.

IF we sign Beckford and he scores 25 goals in the chamionship and we get promoted.... then we can start thinking about how they would perform in the premierleague. Before that point i think we should remind ourselves of where we are. 

You are wrong.

You can't just buy a team to get promoted and then buy a whole new team to stay up because the current lot aren't good enough. You have to assess players on whether they have a long term future in the top division.

Chopra.

oh, hang on...

Darren Bent

Andy Cole

Andy Johnson

You are wrong.

You can't just buy a team to get promoted and then buy a whole new team to stay up because the current lot aren't good enough. You have to assess players on whether they have a long term future in the top division.

Agree. We could go buy a pile of championship players, but what do you do when you get promoted?

You are wrong.

We have a group of players who are clearly not good enough for the top flight, correct?

In that case, most of them, must leave for players who are good enough to get us back into the top flight i.e the best the championship has to offer. If there are players of premiership quality who want to play us then fine, but i suspect there are not many.

There's nothing wrong with speculating as to which of our squad could cut it in the premierleague but i'm saying that it's a more worthwhile topic when we are promoted. 

You are wrong.

As well as that we need to keep our better players and sell or move on our least effective players. Martins has many faults but he is still miles better than most of the carthorses in our team. If he is sold then he should be replaced by the right type of player, someone young hungry and fast. We don't want any more Kevin Nolans to add to our wheelchair brigade.

You are wrong.

Agree. We could go buy a pile of championship players, but what do you do when you get promoted?

It's not a when though, it's an IF.

Noones saying to go out and buy "a pile" of championship players but realistically most of the players in promoted sides are not good enough for the premiership anyway.

You are wrong.

We have a group of players who are clearly not good enough for the top flight, correct?

In that case, most of them, must leave for players who are good enough to get us back into the top flight i.e the best the championship has to offer. If there are players of premiership quality who want to play us then fine, but i suspect there are not many.

There's nothing wrong with speculating as to which of our squad could cut it in the premierleague but i'm saying that it's a more worthwhile topic when we are promoted. 

So you would prefer us to be like West Brom of last season and not the West Ham, Manchester City or NUFC teams that last got promoted?

Forgive me if I find that impossible to understand.