Obafemi Martins joins Wolfsburg for £9m

Guest Geordiesned

Replace Obafemi Martins with Jason Scotland  :lol:

Selling an 8-12 goal a season Premiership striker for £7m, and replacing him with a 20-25 goal a season Championship striker for less than half of that isn't the worst idea in the world tbh.

How many 20-25 goal a season Championship strikers have even managed to get 12 goals a season in the Premiership?

Chopra.

oh, hang on...

Darren Bent

Andy Cole

Andy Johnson

Kevin Doyle

Irrelevant anyway really, we are a championship club and need to start thinking like one. If we start to think we are better than the rest of the teams in this league, i think we will get a nasty shock.

IF we sign Beckford and he scores 25 goals in the chamionship and we get promoted.... then we can start thinking about how they would perform in the premierleague. Before that point i think we should remind ourselves of where we are. 

You are wrong.

You can't just buy a team to get promoted and then buy a whole new team to stay up because the current lot aren't good enough. You have to assess players on whether they have a long term future in the top division.

We have a group of players who are clearly not good enough for the top flight, correct?

In that case, most of them, must leave for players who are good enough to get us back into the top flight i.e the best the championship has to offer. If there are players of premiership quality who want to play us then fine, but i suspect there are not many.

There's nothing wrong with speculating as to which of our squad could cut it in the premierleague but i'm saying that it's a more worthwhile topic when we are promoted. 

So you would prefer us to be like West Brom of last season and not the West Ham, Manchester City or NUFC teams that last got promoted?

Forgive me if I find that impossible to understand.

None of them sides consisted of good premiership players, some of them simply had good first seasons in the premier league and invested heavily. West Ham for example nearly got relegated the season after, with the same players.

Who ever mentioned being like West Brom? They never invested, when the got promoted. I'm saying that we should invest in premiership players when/if we get promoted in order to stay in the league. Not spending money we don't have, on premiership players who won't come to us.

How many Chamionship clubs do you see signing "a pile" of premiership players?

Irrelevant anyway really, we are a championship club and need to start thinking like one. If we start to think we are better than the rest of the teams in this league, i think we will get a nasty shock.

IF we sign Beckford and he scores 25 goals in the chamionship and we get promoted.... then we can start thinking about how they would perform in the premierleague. Before that point i think we should remind ourselves of where we are. 

You are wrong.

You can't just buy a team to get promoted and then buy a whole new team to stay up because the current lot aren't good enough. You have to assess players on whether they have a long term future in the top division.

We have a group of players who are clearly not good enough for the top flight, correct?

In that case, most of them, must leave for players who are good enough to get us back into the top flight i.e the best the championship has to offer. If there are players of premiership quality who want to play us then fine, but i suspect there are not many.

There's nothing wrong with speculating as to which of our squad could cut it in the premierleague but i'm saying that it's a more worthwhile topic when we are promoted. 

So you would prefer us to be like West Brom of last season and not the West Ham, Manchester City or NUFC teams that last got promoted?

None of them sides consisted of good premiership players, some of them simply had good first seasons in the premier league and invested heavily. West Ham for example nearly got relegated the season after, with the same players.

Who ever mentioned being like West Brom? They never invested, when the got promoted. I'm saying that we should invest in premiership players when/if we get promoted in order to stay in the league. Not spending money we don't have, on premiership players who won't come to us.

Players do improve you know? The clearly obvious point that you are missing is that some players may not be ready for the PL yet, but with a good run and experience, they could be excellent in two seasons time. Take Glen Johnson or Gareth Barry as an example of how a player can develop.

PS West Ham stayed up, so you kinda shot yourself in the foot with that one.

You are wrong.

Players do improve you know? The clearly obvious point that you are missing is that some players may not be ready for the PL yet, but with a good run and experience, they could be excellent in two seasons time. Take Glen Johnson or Gareth Barry as an example of how a player can develop.

I just think we should concentrate on building a side too get us out of the championship before we start to think about building a premiership side.

I'm not for one second ruling out the signings of solid premiership players such as how Birmingham signed Carsley on a free from Everton (very astute IMO). However, we have to be realistic and although we might get one or two players of premiership quality, we can't refuse proven chamionship players to get us out of the league in the first place.

By all means if Darren Bent wants to take a step down into the championship then fine but we all know that's unlikely. Therefore the option of a Beckford is appealing logically and financially.

You are wrong.

West Ham went down with Kanoute & Defoe, sold them, and it was Harewood & Zamora that helped establish themselves back in the Premiership after getting them promoted.

Replace Obafemi Martins with Jason Scotland  :lol:

Selling an 8-12 goal a season Premiership striker for £7m, and replacing him with a 20-25 goal a season Championship striker for less than half of that isn't the worst idea in the world tbh.

How many 20-25 goal a season Championship strikers have even managed to get 12 goals a season in the Premiership?

Chopra.

oh, hang on...

Darren Bent

Andy Cole

Andy Johnson

Kevin Doyle

Kevin Phillips

Marcus Stewart

Julian Joachim

Les Ferdinand

Marlon Harewood

You are wrong.

I just think we should concentrate on building a side too get us out of the championship before we start to think about building a premiership side.

I'm not for one second ruling out the signings of solid premiership players such as how Birmingham signed Carsley on a free from Everton (very astute IMO). However, we have to be realistic and although we might get one or two players of premiership quality, we can't refuse proven chamionship players to get us out of the league in the first place.

By all means if Darren Bent wants to take a step down into the championship then fine but we all know that's unlikely. Therefore the option of a Beckford is appealing logically and financially.

Understand your point but the more important questions are:-

(1) Who's the owner?

(2) How long more?

(3) What's the transfer budget?

(4) Who's the manager?

All the above bearing in mind that we don't have much time : ( I don't think, at the end of the day, we're in the position of being able to cherry-pick freely.

• 1 month later...
Guest Stephen927

If only that shot against Liverpool had gone in.

Seeya

Or the pen against Arsenal...

:lol:

Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins has revealed he would be interested in securing a move to Wolfsburg.

The reigning Bundesliga champions have been looking to bolster their attacking options all summer, feeling they rely too heavily on first-choice pairing Grafite and Edin Dzeko.

Their efforts have so far been in vain, with Brazilian frontman Nilmar the latest to spurn their advances in favour of a switch to Villarreal.

Nigeria international Martins has now fallen under their radar, with the Newcastle ace keen to find a route out of St James' Park following the club's relegation to the Championship.

He is open to the idea of such a move, believing the German top-flight is now one of the most competitive in Europe.

"The Bundesliga is on the up and could soon become one of the best in the world, that's why I am keen on joining a side that has recently become champions of that division," Martins said in Wolfsburger Allgemeine Zeitung.

"I am hoping this transfer is going to be pushed through real soon."

While continuing to track potential targets such as Martins, Wolfsburg boss Armin Veh insists the club will continue to hold out for the right deal.

"We are under no pressure," he said.

"We are able to start the new season with Edin Dzeko and Grafite up front if we have to."