David Edgar joins Burnley

James

From .com

Newspapers in David Edgar's native Canada report that the defender has agreed a four year deal to join Premier League newcomers Burnley.

The 22 year is a free agent and agent Barry MacLean confirmed that a recent contract offer from United had been rejected as "nothing special".

However the Magpies will receive an unspecified amount in compensation for Edgar, due to his age and the fact he came through Newcastle's Academy system. That figure would be decided by a tribunal if the clubs were unable to reach an agreement themselves.

Edgar's 23rd and final senior appearance (including 10 as sub) came in the final game of last season - with a red card at Villa Park meaning that he'll be suspended on the first day of this season, regardless of who he plays for.

and why would he expect a "special offer"? he's done fuck all. (scoring against man u and liverpool don't count!)

see ya, you're shit anyway.

thats the problem. Too many shit players come here for the 'special contracts'

its whats expected from Newcastle.

Guest diddimz

Can't do anything but laugh that David Edgar will be playing in a higher league than us :lol:

We could cry.

Guest diddimz

Can't do anything but laugh that David Edgar will be playing in a higher league than us :lol:

We could cry.

And kill people.

I'm up for killing people, if it includes all our ex shit players that are still in the premierleague, and all our shit players that are still with us.

We could cry.

And kill people.

I'm up for killing people, if it includes all our ex shit players that are still in the premierleague, and all our shit players that are still with us.

I've watched Dexter, let's do it.

Nevertheless, we should have been trying our best to keep a player like him on board. Edgar did fairly well for us whenever he played, and will no doubt be on a tiny percentage of what the likes of Coloccini are on. I don't think Edgar has ever been any worse than Coloccini tbh.

Edgar has Premiership experience despite it only being a minimal amount and he doesn't cost us nowt really. This club desperately needs sorting like.

Guest Mantis

Good luck to him, he is trying to make a positive move for himself.  He'll be able to have a chuckle that he is playing in the prem when Colo, Bass, Taylor and Beye are visiting Blackpool.

David Edgar reveals Newcastle shambles after joining Burnley

By Alan Nixon 3/07/2009

Burnley new boy David Edgar has revealed the shambolic state of Newcastle after staff discovered he had left when they saw it on TV.

The Canadian defender quit Toon to sign for Owen Coyle's newly-promoted club, with the Geordies unaware that Edgar had already packed his bags and signed a contract with the Clarets.

Edgar, 22, said: "I got a call from a Newcastle coach after they found out I had signed. They asked if it was true. It is very difficult for them up there, they don't have anyone in charge from the chairman down.

"There could be a new owner, a new manager, yet the lads don't know what is going on."

Coyle, who has also landed record buy Steven Fletcher and Derby's Tyrone Mears, said: "I won't be scared of spending any money if we have got it. We are signing young and hungry players."

David Edgar reveals Newcastle shambles after joining Burnley

By Alan Nixon 3/07/2009

Burnley new boy David Edgar has revealed the shambolic state of Newcastle after staff discovered he had left when they saw it on TV.

The Canadian defender quit Toon to sign for Owen Coyle's newly-promoted club, with the Geordies unaware that Edgar had already packed his bags and signed a contract with the Clarets.

Edgar, 22, said: "I got a call from a Newcastle coach after they found out I had signed. They asked if it was true. It is very difficult for them up there, they don't have anyone in charge from the chairman down.

"There could be a new owner, a new manager, yet the lads don't know what is going on."

Coyle, who has also landed record buy Steven Fletcher and Derby's Tyrone Mears, said: "I won't be scared of spending any money if we have got it. We are signing young and hungry players."

The last bit says it all. Its not rocket science is it?

:facepalm:

• 1 month later...

We really could have used him.  Our only senior CB are Colo and Taylor.  Think he would have done well in the Championship.

Not sure if he is injured, but he has yet to play for Brunley.  If he would have stuck with us he would have 2-3 games already under his belt.  Well, spilt milk ......

We really could have used him.  Our only senior CB are Colo and Taylor.  Think he would have done well in the Championship.

Not sure if he is injured, but he has yet to play for Brunley.  If he would have stuck with us he would have 2-3 games already under his belt.  Well, spilt milk ......

if someone from the club had made contact with him and offered him a contract he would still be here,  after we played Villa he was out of contract and unemployed,  he had to look after himself and get a new club,  you can't say spilt milk,  he'd have been suspended for the first couple of games for us this season anyway as he was sent off at Villa.