David Edgar joins Burnley

James

Guest Heneage

A poster on here nailed it a few weeks back when he pointed out that Edgar (at 22) has never represented Canada at senior level.

The only other Canadian footballer past or present I can name is Craig Forrest

Tomas Radzinski

Simeon Jackson

Paul Stalteri

that's it.

Julian DeGuzman of Deportivo. And Fulham favourite Tomas Radzinski.

And Tomas Radzinski.

:mackems:

Woops.

I shall replace him with..

Oliver Occean of Lillestrom is Canadian too we played them a few years back. Iain Hume, Dwayne De Rosario who played with Dalgleish at Houston, and Atiba Hutchinson of FCK.

A poster on here nailed it a few weeks back when he pointed out that Edgar (at 22) has never represented Canada at senior level.

The only other Canadian footballer past or present I can name is Craig Forrest

Tomas Radzinski

Simeon Jackson

Paul Stalteri

that's it.

Julian DeGuzman of Deportivo. And Fulham favourite Tomas Radzinski.

also his brother Jonathan De Guzman, Owen Hargreaves, Kevin Mckenna, Jason de Vos. Nick Dasovic, Jim Brennan

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/06/25/toon-defender-david-edgar-set-to-join-burnley-72703-23973160/

Toon defender David Edgar set to join Burnley

Jun 25 2009 by Neil Farrington, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE defender David Edgar is poised to join newly-promoted Burnley.

The versatile Edgar, unhappy with the terms of a new contract offer at St James’s Park, had held talks with another club moving up from the Championship, Birmingham City.

But with discussions at St Andrews having stalled, Burnley boss Owen Coyle has moved in for the 22-year-old.

Edgar, raised in Canada and the son of former Newcastle goalkeeper Eddie, made 13 first-team starts for United, marking his home debut with a goal against Manchester United.

But he suffered for being used at right-back rather than in his preferred position in central defence, and was sent off in the dying seconds of Newcastle’s fateful final-day defeat at Aston Villa last month.

With Fabricio Coloccini and Sebastien Bassong also expected to leave United this summer, and the future of Steven Taylor and Habib Beye uncertain, Edgar’s departure will leave the Magpies seriously short of central defenders as the new season approaches.

Coyle is a long-term fan of Edgar, having tried to sign him on loan as Burnley launched their promotion drive late last year.

Edgar & Caldwell as a potential centre-back partnership.

If that survives in the Premiership I will buy everyone on this forum a pint.

Read: O'Brien, Andrew & Bramble, Titus.

Both Caldwell and Edgar are good enough at defending, if they get a good enough manager working with them it'll be no problems whatsoever IMO.

Both Caldwell and Edgar are good enough at defending, if they get a good enough manager working with them it'll be no problems whatsoever IMO.

The players O'Brien & Bramble had around them were a million years ahead of anything Burnley will have.

The players O'Brien & Bramble had around them were a million years ahead of anything Burnley will have.

Yep, but on the other I'd not think that Burnley aims to break the Top 4 next season or any time soon. Do you? It's survival vs. relegation we're talking about here.

Are they worse than Michael Turner and Kamil Zayatte for example? I wouldn't think so anyways.

I feel that we keep on making this mistake of getting rid of youngsters such as Edgar. I realise that he is no world beater but in the championship he would be a more than adequate squad player. Now we will have to go out and by someone to replace him, along with ALOT of other outgoings.

Guest firetotheworks

He's not the best but was one of the players that I felt has always put in 100% effort at all times. Even though that should be a given, in our team its a rare thing. Looked not too shabby at centre back either. I wont cry if he goes though.

Is their actually a source for this Burnley story.

To be honest after the Villa game I would be more than happy for him to go, he was well out of his depth against a poor (on the day) Villa team.

Never forget his daisy cutter against Manure though.

Guest michaelfoster

Can't we do what we did with chops and offer him a new contract as a token gesture to ensure we receive some compensation for him?

He's under 24 so we will get comp for him anyway iirc

Guest Stephen927

To be honest after the Villa game I would be more than happy for him to go, he was well out of his depth against a poor (on the day) Villa team.

Looked absolutely shattered before he got sent off, looked like he had never played 80 minutes (or whatever it was) of football in his life before.

Looked absolutely shattered before he got sent off, looked like he had never played 80 minutes (or whatever it was) of football in his life before.

75 minutes longer than Nolan though.