David Edgar joins Burnley

James

I don't feel Edgar is good enough for the Premier League (says the guy with his picture as his avatar) but he might be a decent enough player for us this season. The only time I've seen him play live, where I could get a good look at him, was in the youth World Cup in Toronto a few years back, and he absolutely wilted under pressure.

The boy needs playing time to get experience. If he can't get it with us, I won't blame him for moving on, if he does.

Hardly the end of the world tbh.  ???

He's not a good player and will be replaced easily from what I've seen of him. Probably go to Burnley and get relegated.

We'll see. 

He's looked well out of his depth in the Premiership, and I'm not convinced he'd be good enough for a promotion push, not as one of the first XI anyway. We may be dropping a division but we'll still need players who are a cut above the vast majority of the Championship. We do need a squad but from what we've seen of him he'd be easily replaced, he doesn't exactly bring much to the table.

Guest michaelfoster

So rather than giving him a new contract and try negotiating between the demands (he cant be on much more than 10k) we now will probably need to sign at least 3 new CB's to replace the outgoing Bassong, Coloccini, Cacapa & Edgar plus a LB to cover or replace Enrique depening whether he stays or goes.

Just give him what he wants and tie him down for at least another year, we are now a championship club, we wont be able to draw anyone near as good as we used too, we cant really afford to be picky with players, if Edgar is happy to stay ofc.

Guest toonlass

From .com

Newspapers in David Edgar's native Canada report that the defender has agreed a four year deal to join Premier League newcomers Burnley.

The 22 year is a free agent and agent Barry MacLean confirmed that a recent contract offer from United had been rejected as "nothing special".

However the Magpies will receive an unspecified amount in compensation for Edgar, due to his age and the fact he came through Newcastle's Academy system. That figure would be decided by a tribunal if the clubs were unable to reach an agreement themselves.

Edgar's 23rd and final senior appearance (including 10 as sub) came in the final game of last season - with a red card at Villa Park meaning that he'll be suspended on the first day of this season, regardless of who he plays for.

I think he'll probably get to play regularly, develop into a competent Premier league defender and a lot of our fans will regret we let him go.

I wouldn't be surprised. Should be a decent signing for a promoted team, although he may well not be up to it in the long run. He certainly won't be if he's played at full back.

Probably make a better defensive mid than a defender. Not fast enough for the fullback positions and too light for the central positions, but his all roundness could make him half decent in a role a bit more forward than what we've played him in. Better option than Nicky Butt anyway.

Probably make a better defensive mid than a defender. Not fast enough for the fullback positions and too light for the central positions, but his all roundness could make him half decent in a role a bit more forward than what we've played him in. Better option than Nicky Butt anyway.

He is slower than Geremi man, he would get mullered in Defensive Midfield, not to mention his confidence on the ball makes Shola look like Pele.

Still he might do better off there.

From .com

Newspapers in David Edgar's native Canada report that the defender has agreed a four year deal to join Premier League newcomers Burnley.

The 22 year is a free agent and agent Barry MacLean confirmed that a recent contract offer from United had been rejected as "nothing special".

However the Magpies will receive an unspecified amount in compensation for Edgar, due to his age and the fact he came through Newcastle's Academy system. That figure would be decided by a tribunal if the clubs were unable to reach an agreement themselves.

Edgar's 23rd and final senior appearance (including 10 as sub) came in the final game of last season - with a red card at Villa Park meaning that he'll be suspended on the first day of this season, regardless of who he plays for.

and why would he expect a "special offer"? he's done fuck all. (scoring against man u and liverpool don't count!)

see ya, you're shit anyway.

No he wouldn't,  he's played a few reserve games as a holding midfielder and wasn't too clever really.

Some of you are being rather harsh on the lad,  when you've probably only seen first team games when he's played full back and he's struggled a bit but he's a decent centre half,  not sure if he can do it week in week out in the premier league but he'd be fine in the championship.  As for the person who said he'd get mullared by the physicalilty on the CCC well he coped pretty well against Stoke last season at the Britannia and there's not many more physical teams than them!!

Guest Stephen927

Based on Burnley's recent signings, I really do think they'll struggle. Maybe Coyle has some better players lined up, but if they continue signing this standard of player then they're setting themselves up a bit like West Brom, a yo-yo team.

Guest gggg

Of course they're going to struggle, they had the 4th lowest budget in the Championship so they are hardly going to compete on a level playing field in the premiership..

They get promoted due to their manager and will stay up because of him if they do..