David Edgar joins Burnley

James

We really could have used him.  Our only senior CB are Colo and Taylor.  Think he would have done well in the Championship.

Not sure if he is injured, but he has yet to play for Brunley.  If he would have stuck with us he would have 2-3 games already under his belt.  Well, spilt milk ......

if someone from the club had made contact with him and offered him a contract he would still be here,  after we played Villa he was out of contract and unemployed,  he had to look after himself and get a new club,  you can't say spilt milk,  he'd have been suspended for the first couple of games for us this season anyway as he was sent off at Villa.

1 game ban wasnt it? 2 yellows and all that. Pity he left but can't blame him, he had to look after himself

Guest Roger Kint

Burnley offered 3 times what we did. Thats why he went.

Burnley are in the Premier now and so should be able to offer a better deal. I bet our wage bill is still a lot higher than theirs.

Thats a lot of obvious you posted. Not sure what your point is though.

They were after him in January, deal was blocked at the time, he wanted a new contract in the region of what Burnley were prepared to give, we actually offered a minimal rise on his existing contract. Obviously he wanted to stay but....

Shouldn't we have got compensation for him, in the way we did for Chopra?

We will aye, if a fee can't be agreed between the two clubs it will go to a tribunal.

Not sure what the status on it is at present.

Burnley are in the Premier now and so should be able to offer a better deal. I bet our wage bill is still a lot higher than theirs.

They were after him in January, deal was blocked at the time, he wanted a new contract in the region of what Burnley were prepared to give, we actually offered a minimal rise on his existing contract. Obviously he wanted to stay but....

It all boils down to whether he goes on to perform well for Burnley. If he does then it will have been a bad decision not to match those terms, whatever they were. Obviously he wasn't rated that highly here.

We will aye, if a fee can't be agreed between the two clubs it will go to a tribunal.

Just seems weird, he's reported as a free transfer everywhere. I figured we'd get something at least since we made an improved contract offer.

Edgar, 22, said: "I got a call from a Newcastle coach after they found out I had signed. They asked if it was true. It is very difficult for them up there, they don't have anyone in charge from the chairman down.

:facepalm:

I've read that 4 times, i cant stop shaking my head at it.

:no:

Just seems weird, he's reported as a free transfer everywhere. I figured we'd get something at least since we made an improved contract offer.

Just four articles from a quick google search and they all mention that they will have to pay compensation.

http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413~1710356,00.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1196812/Burnley-boss-Coyle-swoops-signing-summer-snaring-contract-Newcastle-youngster-Edgar.html

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/01072009/58/premier-league-edgar-signs-burnley.html

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/burnleyfc/David-Edgar-signs-for-Burnley.5420119.jp

Guest Roger Kint

It all boils down to whether he goes on to perform well for Burnley. If he does then it will have been a bad decision not to match those terms, whatever they were. Obviously he wasn't rated that highly here.

Given that the club didnt know he had signed for Burnley its more obvious we assumed nobody else was going to sign him rather than beat an offer from 6 months previous.

Guest Roger Kint

Under 24 and you get compensation right that will be decided by a tribunal type thing?

Yeah probs about £100k if we are lucky :celb:

Just four articles from a quick google search and they all mention that they will have to pay compensation.

http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413~1710356,00.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1196812/Burnley-boss-Coyle-swoops-signing-summer-snaring-contract-Newcastle-youngster-Edgar.html

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/01072009/58/premier-league-edgar-signs-burnley.html

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/burnleyfc/David-Edgar-signs-for-Burnley.5420119.jp

Ah cheers. I hadn't looked it up carefully, just gone by the transfer round ups you get in the papers / F365 etc. which all seemed to have him down as free.

Edgar, 22, said: "I got a call from a Newcastle coach after they found out I had signed. They asked if it was true. It is very difficult for them up there, they don't have anyone in charge from the chairman down.

:facepalm:

I've read that 4 times, i cant stop shaking my head at it.

:no:

God, are you fucking kidding me?

Can't belive people are still discussing this. He was/is very average.  And remember, he started whinging long before we were destined to the drop.

A player we could do with now.  He was average in the prem but would be half decent in the 2 nd division.

• 3 months later...

I can't believe he hasn't yet been named in a Premier League squad, unless of course they're waiting for the compo to be sorted ie if he plays and plays well they have to pay more.

He's a decent player who would proove that with a decent run of games.

Guest michaelfoster

I'm suprised he still didn't play for them.

I'm not he's crapper than David Beharall

where is he playing these days? :lol:

Retired in 2006 after being released by Stockport, other former clubs include Grimsby, Oldham & Carlisle

I can't believe he hasn't yet been named in a Premier League squad, unless of course they're waiting for the compo to be sorted ie if he plays and plays well they have to pay more.

He's a decent player who would proove that with a decent run of games.

More than likely.

Reasonably assured we'll get a decent price, the tribunals usually favour the club that's lost a player; look at how much we were made to pay for Stephen Glass FFS! I know were not there (at a tribunal) but the option to go there should surely mean we see a decent chunk coming our way. I'd be happy with £1m or so.