PROMOTIONOMETER

cp40
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We don't even have a decent core now, unfortunately.

still think the likes of townsend, mitrovic etc will piss it down there

I'm not sure Townsend will stay tbh.

Assuming he has no relegation clause, I can't see many people willing to stump, say 10m, to get him off us.

Not many will want him, even fewer will be willing to pay for him and there's no certainty that he would be desperate to leave. A few weeks ago he was playing with the young uns remember.

I think he'd stay, just based on his well publicised good attitude. He's no premier league top 6 player but he'd be a cut above anyone currently plying their trade in the Championship. If we can keep them we can make a good backbone out of Mbemba, Dummett, Shelvey, Townsend, Aarons, Perez and Mitrovic. It's a big ask to get them all to stay but they would all be very good in that league.

We don't even have a decent core now, unfortunately.

still think the likes of townsend, mitrovic etc will p*ss it down there

I'm not sure Townsend will stay tbh.

Assuming he has no relegation clause, I can't see many people willing to stump, say 10m, to get him off us.

Not many will want him, even fewer will be willing to pay for him and there's no certainty that he would be desperate to leave. A few weeks ago he was playing with the young uns remember.

I think he'd stay, just based on his well publicised good attitude. He's no premier league top 6 player but he'd be a cut above anyone currently plying their trade in the Championship. If we can keep them we can make a good backbone out of Mbemba, Dummett, Shelvey, Townsend, Aarons, Perez and Mitrovic. It's a big ask to get them all to stay but they would all be very good in that league.

Agreed.

As I am now resigned to going down (I think most fans are).  I'm already trying to look for the positives for next season.  If we can get those guys to stay.  I think we'd have a good chance of coming straight back up. 

That really has nothing at all to do with what I've just said, though, has it? Nolan scored something like 19 goals in our promotion season. Shelvey won't get a fraction of that.

:ronaldo:

We both know Kevin Nolan had a very respectable goalcoring record before he joined us and Jonjo Shelvey doesn't - certainly not at top level. Honestly, you're about 4 decades too old to be wumming around on a message board, man.

That really has nothing at all to do with what I've just said, though, has it? Nolan scored something like 19 goals in our promotion season. Shelvey won't get a fraction of that.

:ronaldo:

We both know Kevin Nolan had a very respectable goalcoring record before he joined us and Jonjo Shelvey doesn't - certainly not at top level. Honestly, you're about 4 decades too old to be wumming around on a message board, man.

The three seasons leading up to our relegation Nolan scored:

06-07: 3 goals in 33 games.

07-08: 5 goals in 20 games.

08-09: 0 goals in 31 games.

Shelvey has:

13-14: 6 goals in 32 games.

14-15: 3 goals in 31 games.

15-16: 1 goal in 26 games.

Thats quite a similar goal scoring record in my eyes.

Why's 3 seasons being used?

Oh, yeah, because it fits this daft agenda. Anyone who think Shelvey's going to be to us in the Championship what Nolan was (in terms of goals) is probably stupid enough to think we had a good transfer window in January and looked good under McClaren. Oh wait.....

Shelvey and Nolan are too complete different players when it comes to style and I would have to agree that there's no chance at all that Shelvey will match Nolans goal record if we are to go down.

Would be amazed if he even got double figures.

Why's 3 seasons being used?

Oh, yeah, because it fits this daft agenda. Anyone who think Shelvey's going to be to us in the Championship what Nolan was is probably stupid enough to think we had a good transfer window in January and looked good under McClaren. Oh wait.....

I used 3 seasons as thats the time Shelvey has been around, but hey ignore the facts, the fact of the matter is they both had similar records prior to them joining us, but because it doesn't fit your agenda you needlessly make shitty comments, and act like you are superior to everyone, and that your own opinion is gospel.

And yeah, I was wrong about that, but atleast I'm man enough to admit it, unlike you.

Shelvey shouldn't be playing as a deep lying midfielder and probably should never be one of a two midfield paring. He needs to be the furthest forward in a midfield three, who knows he might score a few goals if he gets out of our half. What's wrong with a 433 anyhow, good enough for Barca but not for us. This 4231 absolutely sucks in modern football, it's negative and it's boring.

There's two or three I look at and think they'd probably do pretty well in the Championship. Elliot, Dummett, Townsend - I imagine they'll stay and be big players for us next year.

Shelvey and Mbemba reside in the 'might stay' bracket and you'd think they'd be a cut above most of the league's CBs/CMs. But it will depend on their attitude.

Assuming there isn't a mass exodus and we retain a core of PL-ish players, the importance of who is in the dugout will probably trump everything else.

No idea exactly who will be left but I'd imagine there wouldn't be too much demand for any of the squad bar perhaps Perez. Sure a few will have already told their agents to get them out of the club asap already. Certainly wouldn't be too upset about any of them leaving as few of them will be useful next year.

Guest chopey

Team for next season

Krul

Dummet Mbemba Terry Ben Davies

Townsend  Carrick Shelvey Aarons

Perez Mitrovic

Could happen !!!!!

Guest neesy111

I'm concerned it's being a tad overused. Keeping it in the bag for when Neesy's inevitable meltdown occurs on relegation night.

I only do meltdowns after we lose to the mackems.

Shelvey shouldn't be playing as a deep lying midfielder and probably should never be one of a two midfield paring. He needs to be the furthest forward in a midfield three, who knows he might score a few goals if he gets out of our half. What's wrong with a 433 anyhow, good enough for Barca but not for us. This 4231 absolutely sucks in modern football, it's negative and it's boring.

Not really.  A lot of teams use it.  It's just how they actually implement it and how rigid it is.  If it's like how Pardew and McClaren often set us up, then yes, I would say it is pretty boring.  But don't Spurs play the same formation?  I'd hardly call them negative and boring. 

Since I've been supporting Newcastle, we have managed about six games where we have looked good playing 4321 (Ben arfa, ba, cisse).

Other than that, we have played much better with two traditional strikers.

There's no right formation, you look at the strenghs and weaknesses of the players and try to come up with a system.

Unfortunately our squad is such a weird hodge podge of styles because we buy primarily for resale, that it isn't really perfectly suited to any gameplan.

It's telling that in years gone by people have been screaming for certain formations or certain players, whereas this season no one has the slightest idea what our best team would be. Squad is a mess.

There's no right formation, you look at the strenghs and weaknesses of the players and try to come up with a system.

Unfortunately our squad is such a weird hodge podge of styles because we buy primarily for resale, that it isn't really perfectly suited to any gameplan.

It's telling that in years gone by people have been screaming for certain formations or certain players, whereas this season no one has the slightest idea what our best team would be. Squad is a mess.

Quite ironic that we lucked out on Carroll and figured we had the transfer system all out, yet he wasn't even a product of our current scouting and recruitment policy. He was already here. :lol: