Shearer vs. Cash

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

City are in danger of becoming an absolute joke in the football world and one that players will get ridiculed for joining. Puyol now? Honestly, what a bunch of wankers

They already are a joke tbh.

What is so baffling is that there are so many good and realistic players they can go after that would do really well for them and help them build towards really challenging the top four.

Instead, it appears they are intent on pissing everyone off which will only come back to bite them.

at the minute i just want a team that we can have pride in again, like in sir bobby's tenure. not the embarrassment of a team from last season (aside from habib :smitten:)

i don't think it's too deluded of us to want a decent manager with a plan for the club, and a chairman/owner who's on his side.

Guest gggg

Stupidly rich everytime, we could always change managers but changing owners is almost impossible as we can see..

And even if Shearer is a great manager that only gets you 5th at best in todays game, like Everton, who are now crying out for investment themselves.

Guest gggg

It would be lovely to buy a bunch of young lads and nurture them ala Aston Villa

This makes me laugh. Villa have spent 100m+ in the last couple of years so what's the difference? Apart from them wasting most of it on shite i can't see one.

City did the nurturing young lads actually from their academy better than anyone for years and it got them nowhere.

We can scoff at City but they're probably going to win something major as a result of this spending eventually. Chelsea were in a very similar position and got a tonne of derision heaped on them but the minute they started winning they became part of the furniture.

Their fans are quite happy not only because they're the richest club in the world but because the people who run them aren't complete wankers. Their reps have met with the fans and actually made changes at the club based on the feedback.

Would definitely go for the moderately rich owner and Shearer in charge, providing they were rich enough to be able to absorb, or reduce significantly, the club's debts whilst also being able to take a considerable hit in the pocket this year as we fail to shift some of the players on mammoth wages.

The club has generated enough revenue in the past to match some of the established CL clubs in Europe, and if it were run efficiently by competent personnel, directors, managers, etc, I dont think we'd need outside funding in order to compete with the top six/seven in the Premiership were we to make it back there. Imagine a Newcastle United run on the same lines as Arsenal or Everton, i.e. signing young, up-and-coming players on reasonable wages. We'd be laughing financially, especially if we qualified for Europe.

Also, this club needs to get Shearer out of it's system. We're at a lower level than the Premiership, so the prior arguement of "Shearer should learn the ropes elsewhere first" now applies - to us. This is an appointment that has to be made, and we're unlikely to get anyone else other than jobless, average managers like Curbishley, so it's paramount that we give Shearer a shot and let him succeed or fail as it's the perfect time to do so.

Guest Heneage

Puyol is a big name, big star, big personality, whatever. He's also likely to get anihilated in this league. Go for Per Mertesacker for the love of c***

I don't rate Mertesacker.

Money with a s**** manager is pointless, as proven during the Souness era, so for me it has to be Shearer. Moyes is a great example of what can be acheived with a good, sensible system.

The quality of the other manager isn't specified, just the fact it isn't Shearer. Think of it as a roll of the dice by the new owners - could be better, could be worse.

In that case then it may as well just be a question of would you rather be rich or poor? That would be an obvious answer, unless you're Mike Ashley of course :lol:

I see no reason to be so eager for Shearer to be in charge. He's the greatest player to grace this club, but I saw no evidence last year that he was some magical manager. In fact, I still have no reason to think he's anything other than average. He was an improvement over tha insane Irish curmudgeon, but most people who post here would be as well. Honesty, to hell with sentiment! I want money and a proven and talented manager.

Personally, i'd rather not be shitting cash - cos it's pretty much everything i go against when it comes to modern day football. I'd like to have enough money to survive and get there through skill, quality and graft - a nice balance, like the Bobby era. I know it's thoroughly idealistic, but i just hate how you have to be mega-rich nowadays to achieve any form of success.

I'd quite happily take a moderately wealthy owner, with Shearer as boss - if those are the options. But the reasoning for that leans towards the first half of the deal, rather than the second half. I don't want to see us turn into an utterly deplorable parasite like Chelsea or City. Not too fussed on Shearer... love him to pieces obviously but if we can appoint someone who's proven to be a good manager ahead of him, i won't cry into my pillow.

I don't need to answer in this thread because you said everything for me.

Oh wait, wait, better get with the times...

This!

I see no reason to be so eager for Shearer to be in charge. He's the greatest player to grace this club, but I saw no evidence last year that he was some magical manager. In fact, I still have no reason to think he's anything other than average. He was an improvement over tha insane Irish curmudgeon, but most people who post here would be as well. Honesty, to hell with sentiment! I want money and a proven and talented manager.

agreed. Shearer as a manager is an unknown, so the question is basically unknown manager with much cash vs unknown manager with less. so i'll take the former please. no one knows if shearer is going to be a good manager or the right man for us, so why they would actively turn down money to take him over someone else is odd.

i'm slightly uneasy about someone coming in and us being a chelsea or man city.

a bit like finding a couple of cheats on a manager type game that give you much more money than the rest and hasn't really been earned but you can now blast the rest out the water. bet you don't feel as good about winning......................or is wiining the only thing that counts for anything these days ?

Guest Stephen927

Neither have any guarantees of success. Tottenham spend a fair bit of money every window and yet they only managed to claw their way into the top ten.

It's hard to pick Shearer, he didn't seem to have much of an impact come match day but everything else we heard about discipline seemed spot on. He only had 8 games to save our season, how long did it take for Kevin Keegan to stop the rot and get us to safety? And that was with a better squad, albeit not miles ahead...

I would love for us to be run like Everton, but as you see now there is only so far they can go. If Newcastle were ran like Everton, we would have far greater money from merchandising, ticket sales.. but like Everton, there would only be so far we could go without big money, such is todays game.

i'm slightly uneasy about someone coming in and us being a chelsea or man city.

a bit like finding a couple of cheats on a manager type game that give you much more money than the rest and hasn't really been earned but you can now blast the rest out the water. bet you don't feel as good about winning......................or is wiining the only thing that counts for anything these days ?

Be nice not to lose quite so often, though.

I want the best man to manage us, and the best man to own us.

Not much really  O0

all i wanted in the end, was world domination and a whole lot of money to spend. everything i touch, everything i see. fame and fortune, immortality, but it's not really much,not much to ask, just the same as everybody else.