Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

Aye, Oliver had agenda's against many players IIRC.  Robert was another.

Oliver certainly did have an agenda. Martins was another of his targets. According to Luque himself he was a Shepherd signing and I freely admit I thought he would be great for us. He really wasn't worth £9 million (think that was the fee). Under Roeder he played in all our European matches. As I said, whilst he scored with that header in the Palermo game he was shyte for the rest of his time on the pitch. He also scored against Sunderland so respect for that, also a decent volley in the Shearer testimonial. But overall he was big money badly spent...

Pretty much what Ronaldo said.

I think £9m was a steal for a player of that calibre and really good piece of business despite the stories about Shepherds "negotiation skills" floating around. Loved his performance in his debut against Man Utd.

Injury completely messed him up beyond repair.

The biggest thread in this fourm at the time was the Luque thread, he really divided opinions here, what angred me the most that literally everyone got a run ahead of him and most were pretty shit, i remember the likes of Shola (even played left winger) , Matty Pattison, Alan O'Brien, Micheal Chopra, on loan Guesspi Rossi, Kazinga Lua-Lua, all playing but not Luque who we paid good money for and was class in Spain.

He torn his hamstring in his second game and it ruined him. He was f***ing awesome in Spain. Should have been an excellent signing and fwiw had a very promising debut against Man U.

:thup: He was unbelievable prior to coming here and £9m seemed like great business. I've always had a soft spot for Depor and back in the days of Luque, Tristan, Valeron, Andrade *cough* Coloccini *cough* etc. they were amazing. His games against Milan in the Champions League in particular stand out.

Roeder talks briefly about Luque in Tunnel Of Love, incidentally.

Really good read that, btw, if (surprisingly) a bit poorly written. The anecdotes from the likes of Gullit, Souness, Roeder and Allardyce are fantastic - even if you take them with a pinch of salt.

What's that, York? Sounds like I need to read it.

That bit of skill on his debut when he flicked it over Ferdinand's head for the disallowed goal was lush.

Nah, it was great skill but he knocked it wide, right in front of us. The disallowed goal was from a rebound from a Shearer shot.

That bit of skill on his debut when he flicked it over Ferdinand's head for the disallowed goal was lush.

Nah, it was great skill but he knocked it wide, right in front of us. The disallowed goal was from a rebound from a Shearer shot.

Correct. Or what I like to call his John Dahl moment. Kind of moment early in a players NUFC career that seems to shape how it's going to play out at your time at this club. :lol:

Sorry to be pedantic, like. I was absolutely over the moon when we signed Luque and had hopes of him and Owen forging a nice partnership when the latter arrived a couple of weeks later. First time they were on the pitch together his leg basically exploded. :lol: Shame.

Sorry to be pedantic, like. I was absolutely over the moon when we signed Luque and had hopes of him and Owen forging a nice partnership when the latter arrived a couple of weeks later. First time they were on the pitch together his leg basically exploded. :lol: Shame.

Best YT reel also. "Hollywood..." Was it yourself I discussed this with when it was taken down? Recall someone saying they had it downloaded somewhere on their HD.

Tunnel of Love by Martin Hardy, follow up to Touching Distance.

I'm still reading Touching Distance which is excellent.

It's only in hardback and is £18.99, but it's as 'must read' as it gets, when it comes to Newcastle United 97-09.

I'm up to Allardyce's departure so just preparing myself for shit to get sad and rage-inducing.

It's only in hardback and is £18.99, but it's as 'must read' as it gets, when it comes to Newcastle United 97-09.

I'm up to Allardyce's departure so just preparing myself for shit to get sad and rage-inducing.

I got them for xmas using the 2for offer on nufc.com, £30 for the pair signed by the author.

Guest firetotheworks

Touching Distance is great like, but going from Keegan-era to that is just asking to be disappointed. I'll give it a read further down the line.

That's fair enough tbh, if the other guy has been doing well then why should he be dropped. Even if it's shit for both us and Krul himself.

I try to follow Ajax as much as possible possible. Andre Onana has been playing very well to be honest, got his chance after they sold Cillessen in the summer and he's taken it well. Krul might have a job on to be honest.

Really good read that, btw, if (surprisingly) a bit poorly written. The anecdotes from the likes of Gullit, Souness, Roeder and Allardyce are fantastic - even if you take them with a pinch of salt.

In what way?

In what way?

Just odd little spelling/grammar errors/words missed out, couple dates being wrong, long passages of text all in italics for no apparent reason. Hardy himself seems to sometimes randomly flit into a 'scene' himself (like for example he's talking about stuff Freddy Shepherd has been quoted as saying and is then all of a sudden in a conversation with Shepherd), which is kinda jarring at times and I've had to skip back to get the context.

I say 'poorly written', that's pretty harsh because it's a fantastic read. It's just not immaculate in terms of the production, like the vast majority of books.