Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

Just watched Rafa's press conference and he said that Krul signed for Brighton permanently in the first place but they only just decided to announce it this week.  So he's saying the club lied about it being a loan? Or did i get that wrong?

He meant they knew it would become permanent when he played, but that Brighton chose not to say that.

Just watched Rafa's press conference and he said that Krul signed for Brighton permanently in the first place but they only just decided to announce it this week.  So he's saying the club lied about it being a loan? Or did i get that wrong?

He meant they knew it would become permanent when he played, but that Brighton chose not to say that.

👍

• 1 month later...

Anyone else listen to the Football Ramble's interview with Chris Kirkland?

He talked a bit about when Raffa came in at Liverpool and changed up things. He said Raffa insisted on bringing in his own non-English speaking Keeping Coach who's training methods were a lot slower and less reliant on shot stopping and reactions and stuff.

He went on about it a lot. Had a real issue with foreign coaches during his career by the sounds of it. Made me wonder if the same thing happened with Krul.

Guest firetotheworks

Anyone else listen to the Football Ramble's interview with Chris Kirkland?

He talked a bit about when Raffa came in at Liverpool and changed up things. He said Raffa insisted on bringing in his own non-English speaking Keeping Coach who's training methods were a lot slower and less reliant on shot stopping and reactions and stuff.

He went on about it a lot. Had a real issue with foreign coaches during his career by the sounds of it. Made me wonder if the same thing happened with Krul.

Did you get that through the acast subscription? I want to watch it but I just assumed that was the only way to get it.

Our Keeper Coach is English, isn't he? Anyway, Krul's not even English so he shouldn't need an English coach. He probably just wasn't deemed good enough anymore.

Aye but it was mostly about the difference in coaching methods. Raffa prefered the more methodical way that I'm not sure Krul would be used to after spending the majotity of his footballing life up here with Woodman blasting volleys at him for a few hours a day.

Kirkland did seem a little obsessed with it being "English vs Foreigners" but according to him Raffa literally said when he came in "I'm selling you so I can bring a foreign keeper in instead".

Our Keeper Coach is English, isn't he? Anyway, Krul's not even English so he shouldn't need an English coach. He probably just wasn't deemed good enough anymore.

Aye but it was mostly about the difference in coaching methods. Raffa prefered the more methodical way that I'm not sure Krul would be used to after spending the majotity of his footballing life up here with Woodman blasting volleys at him for a few hours a day.

Kirkland did seem a little obsessed with it being "English vs Foreigners" but according to him Raffa literally said when he came in "I'm selling you so I can bring a foreign keeper in instead".

If Pepe Reina is Rafa's type of keeper I can see why he fucked off Kirkland asap. Polar opposites.

:lol: Aye, Simon Smith. When I was a budding young keeper aged about 10 I was coached by him. I'd imagine you're right with the last sentence.

Me too. I wasn't a keeper but I took one of those NUFC community footy keeper courses for the craic and he was the coach. Was surprised to see him at such a high level shortly after that.

Did you get that through the acast subscription? I want to watch it but I just assumed that was the only way to get it.

It was meant to be one of the Acast episodes but it just appeared in my feed and downloaded it's self automatically. Must have been some sort of mixup releasing it.

Didn't Kirkland have a lot of injury problems during his Liverpool career ?

Aye. Throughout his whole career by the sounds of it. Was first choice ahead of Dudek and playing the Champions League games till his back gave out. Went out on loan the next season and when he got back Rafa had bought Reina and told him to find a new club.

• 5 months later...

Did it weaken us?

Ashley wouldn't have allowed the Dubravka loan if we'd had Krul, Elliot and Darlow on the books.

I mean, I'm fairly certain Krul is better than Elliot - so in that sense it weakened us. Wouldn't want him as a starter though, but a better back-up than Elliot.

Eh, we're safe and Dubravka seems a more all round complete keeper. He's got communication, and both ball playing skills and the ability to command his box at a level Timmy could only dream of. Plus he'd listed on in our goal for so long he'd got stale and complacent.

Guest firetotheworks

Did it weaken us?

Ashley wouldn't have allowed the Dubravka loan if we'd had Krul, Elliot and Darlow on the books.

I mean, I'm fairly certain Krul is better than Elliot - so in that sense it weakened us. Wouldn't want him as a starter though, but a better back-up than Elliot.

He's not though.