Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I thought that was his best game so far. Seemed to have lost a bit of decisiveness when coming off his line previously but he looked more like the Krul we first saw yesterday. Came out and took some good high crosses and threw the ball instead of just booting it upfield.

Yep. Thought he dealt with crosses very well and made the game fast as we were a goal behind.

Harper would have waited.... and waited and then kicked the ball instead of rolling it to a defender.

Wasn't there a game last season where we scored or almost scored from a long throw out from Harper? ;)

I thought that was his best game so far. Seemed to have lost a bit of decisiveness when coming off his line previously but he looked more like the Krul we first saw yesterday. Came out and took some good high crosses and threw the ball instead of just booting it upfield.

Yep. Thought he dealt with crosses very well and made the game fast as we were a goal behind.

Harper would have waited.... and waited and then kicked the ball instead of rolling it to a defender.

Wasn't there a game last season where we scored or almost scored from a long throw out from Harper? ;)

Honestly, I don't know. :lol:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We did. :lol:

Just wanted to throw that one in there :lol:

We did. :lol:

Just wanted to throw that one in there :lol:

I know, I know. :lol:

Still, I can't remember which match this was or anything.

I don't think results would have been much different with Harper, Krul is the only one of the two who will improve with games long term, I think he should keep his place.

Agreed.

Harper will come straight back in.

I don't think so. Would be surprised and disappointed if so, so long as Krul remains/keeps gaining assuredness.

Not sure, Krul looks like he can become a top keeper to me. Haven't seen enough of Forster yet to comment but Paul Lambert thought he was amazing and seems to be doing very well for Celtic apart from today obviously.

Not sure, Krul looks like he can become a top keeper to me. Haven't seen enough of Forster yet to comment but Paul Lambert thought he was amazing and seems to be doing very well for Celtic apart from today obviously.

It's those 'apart from todays' that can be the distinction between the good and the great though. Haven't seen today's match, which is a massive caveat, but it's disappointing to hear he's had a bad one in the biggest game of his season so far. Not that Krul hasn't had his fair share of balls ups in the past, mind.

Would be fascinated to know whether being kept as second behind Harper was a positive or negative sign for Krul. Personally, I'd have sent the most promising youngster out on loan with a view to them gaining the experience he (and hence, we) would need in the future - with the assumption being that Harper wouldn't miss too much of the season, of course. Seems like most are under the impression it meant Krul is being given the nod by the coaches at this point, though.

It's those 'apart from todays' that can be the distinction between the good and the great though. Haven't seen today's match, which is a massive caveat, but it's disappointing to hear he's had a bad one in the biggest game of his season so far. Not that Krul hasn't had his fair share of balls ups in the past, mind.

Would be fascinated to know whether being kept as second behind Harper was a positive or negative sign for Krul. Personally, I'd have sent the most promising youngster out on loan with a view to them gaining the experience he (and hence, we) would need in the future - with the assumption being that Harper wouldn't miss too much of the season, of course. Seems like most are under the impression it meant Krul is being given the nod by the coaches at this point, though.

Was quoted earlier in the season as saying that the only reason he stayed at the club over the summer (mooted transfers) was that he had a one-to-one conversation with Harps, who told him that he expected Krul to start seeing more playing time as the season progressed.

He was good for most the game.

BUT

For the goal, before Cole had the ball it was obvious where it was going to go. A world class keeper would have thrown himself across the goal before the ball even reached Cole's feet, taken the gamble that Cole would have hit it first time right in front of him which he did. There would have been no guarantee of saving it, but the probability would have been a lot higher.

However Harper wouldn't have done that either.

:facepalm: fuck sake.

Anyway, I have also been one of those "not sure if he is ready" but he is making me very confident in him, thought he was brilliant with a few of his claims yesterday and the offside save was quality.

Was quoted earlier in the season as saying that the only reason he stayed at the club over the summer (mooted transfers) was that he had a one-to-one conversation with Harps, who told him that he expected Krul to start seeing more playing time as the season progressed.

Aye, true, saw that - but thought it could've just been complete bollocks on Harper's/the club's behalf to make him stay just long enough to Forster to be ripe to take over. Pretty tough business, really... clearly one or the other is gonna be chucked within 18 months at most, maybe 6.

I agree but I guess that is why he is out on loan, even the great will make the odd mistake while they are this young. If he learns from today and sorts out that aspect of his game then he just gets better.

I expect Celtic to bid for him at the end of the season, if Krul keeps up this level of performance then I reckon we will consider it too.

Guest Heneage

I don't know if Harper would have claimed as much from the air as Krul did yesterday. Much like Carroll he's not the finished article but I see no reason to drop him.

Every game that goes past Harper has less chance of getting back on the pitch. honestly there is no real difference between them now apart from age and there's only one real winner there.

Can see Harper being allowed to leave for free end of season, probably to Celtic.

What do people think - should we leave him in goal or should Harper come back as Nr. 1 once he's fit again?

have to say i was all for Krul being number 1 but seeing Krul in a run of premiership games he is not ready for it yet IMO , his kicking with his right foot needs a lot of work.

Hes not done a lot wrong and made no howlers but id like to see him get a loan run somewere but cant see that happening this season.

I hate Harper but to say krul has made no howlers is being a bit generous mind.

He didn't cover himself in glory for Wigans goals last week and last night was too busy waving at the linesman appealing for offside rather than attempting to either cut out the cross to Cole or attempting to save from Cole.

He was all over the shop in the 1st 20 minutes last night but settled down a bit and did command his area pretty well.

Couldn't really judge his 2nd half performance as we were so on top i honestly can't remember him even touching the ball in the 2nd half.