Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

Too much is being made of this 'Williamson holds players' thing IMO; can't remember anyone saying it before Everton?

He's been great so far and has worked well with Coloccini, why change it?

He was doing it far too often against Everton and it was right that it was mentioned, we'd go mad if the opposition were doing it to us.  I'm not saying he sould be dropped because of it but he needs to stop doing it because he was also doing it against Blackpool, just not as much as he did last weekend.  Players go down now as soon as they feel contact and officials are falling for the slightest contact and giving penalties, free kicks and bookings.

Unless an opponent actually falls over, it's a rarity for refs to give pens when a player is being held at a set piece. Like many defenders, Williamson keeps very tight so that either the opponent can't go down, or they both go down together. It's difficult for a ref to spot who's doing what.

I don't really blame him for doing what lots of others do and get away with. But even if he were to cut that bit of his game out, I'd still fancy him to get on the end of more headers than Colo.

Unless an opponent actually falls over, it's a rarity for refs to give pens when a player is being held at a set piece. Like many defenders, Williamson keeps very tight so that either the opponent can't go down, or they both go down together. It's difficult for a ref to spot who's doing what.

I don't really blame him for doing what lots of others do and get away with. But even if he were to cut that bit of his game out, I'd still fancy him to get on the end of more headers than Colo.

Ref's will start looking for it if they are seeing it highlighted on TV.

They fail to notice a lot of other things, Gerrard diving, Cattermole trying to break someone every game, Barton isn't trying to break someone every game etc..

gerrard doesn't dive 3 or 4 times most games,barton doesn't try to break someone leg every game....cattermoles been sent off twice this season already....you work it out.

Anyways back on topic...he has a long way to go before he becomes a top class keeper but he has all the right attributes.His only really weakness is his inexperience doesnt look confident coming off his line to collect crosses but that will come with more gametime.Fair play to Chris,alot of managers would have gone straight out and signed an experienced keeper, but hes shown alot of balls and is given youth a chance,refreshing too see.Hopefully It will work out for him here,I have liked him since day one because he seems genuinely happy to be at the club.

Anyways back on topic...he has a long way to go before he becomes a top class keeper but he has all the right attributes.His only really weakness is his inexperience doesnt look confident coming off his line to collect crosses but that will come with more gametime.Fair play to Chris,alot of managers would have gone straight out and signed an experienced keeper, but hes shown alot of balls and is given youth a chance,refreshing too see.Hopefully It will work out for him here,I have liked him since day one because he seems genuinely happy to be at the club.

in a way sundays game couldnt be against better opposition for krul. in the same way carroll learned more in one night against morgan (sheff utd) krul will probably learn more against the box bombers than anyone elese.

heres hoping he passes the test with flying colours.

in a way sundays game couldnt be against better opposition for krul. in the same way carroll learned more in one night against morgan (sheff utd) krul will probably learn more against the box bombers than anyone elese.

heres hoping he passes the test with flying colours.

Hopefully...but these are a big 3 points for us especially since we dropped points against Blackpool cant afford to do the same here Sunday

As I've said before, I totally agree..I think the reason he hasn't been SEEN to do it before is that he was up against a tricky AND physical forward in the Everton game. He MAY be OK against less skilled but large forwards and Sunday should tell us.

Mick is right about officials though, and when we play top 4 sides(who always get an easier ride from refs)they will be looking for this. Either way, he has to learn to avoid holding if poss.

Gerrard throws himself on the floor loads of times but never gets penalised, Cattermole gets away with a hell of a lot more than he should and his sending offs weren't because of reputation but because it couldn't be any more blatant and the point about Barton wasn't that he tries to break people's legs every week, it was that refs act like he had but if they watched his games rather than go by his reputation that is mostly because of off field incidents I don't think they would be so quick to judge.

I don't believe refs sit down that much watching games and noticing player traits so I don't think Williamson needs to worry too much about being targetted. There are plenty of players (especially defensive minded) who are doing worse week in, week out but get away with it.

Watch him give a penalty for holding against Stoke now :lol:

Well maybe. It still feels odd to not pick a player because refs might start penalising him for something that he's previously been getting away with.

How was Krul yesterday?

I thought Krul was okay. He copped a bit of stick in the match thread, some deserved, and some not.

He was criticised for not coming out enough which encouraged Stoke to bomb it in even deeper. Personally, I think it's a coaching problem. Remember how we used to think he was too rash and came for everything? Well, I suspect someone on the NUFC coaching staff has tried to coach this out of him, and if I'm right then people will make the same complaints about Krul as they did about Given and Harper.

There's an old joke about dodgy keepers: "You'd never know if he was gay, because he won't come out" This joke could have been made about Given and Harper. If it starts to apply to Krul then he won't be the world class keeper we all hope he will be...

Whether it was coaching or not, by failing to come off his line yesterday we handed the game to Stoke. You simply can't withstand that kind of ball constantly being thrown into and around the 6 yard box. The winner came from a corner follwoing 3 or 4 minute of non stop throw ins.

Hughton should have been shouting at the defenders to push up, he perhaps could have brought Sol on the organise and someone had to get Krul to attack the ball.

We didn't come out for the 2nd half and got what we deserved. That 2nd half completely pissed me off.

I dnt think Tim is ready yet he was like a rabbit in the head lights but can"t put all the blame on him second half we were sh*t . My other point is why the f**k was Pearch marking Jones he is no premship defender at all but to let him mark a big powerful foward like Jone on a set pice you are asking for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant:

Having watched the goals again, I don't think it's fair to blame Krul. They were not straightforward balls for a keeper to come and collect.

The problem was that we had Perch against Huth. Any manager who had watched our previous games would have targeted Perch.

I know Colo is getting a lot of praise at the moment, and he does look a lot more composed than previously, but he really doesn't like defending set pieces. Quite sensibly, he gets protected by not having to go up against the opposition's most dangerous players in that situation, and it falls to Carroll and Williamson. However, now and then it leaves us short of options and yesterday was an example of that.