Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

I was actually slightly relieved on the replay because for some reason I thought Carroll had flicked it in. Once I'd realised it had gone straight in I started spitting venom about Simpson.

Don't see what difference it would have made since Carroll was only in that position because Simpson decided to go back. If Simpson had stayed up then the free kick would most likely have been harmless

Are you serious? It's pretty bloody obvious would difference it would have made - to Sewelly and most of the rest of us.

Yeah I am, I fail to see the difference between Carroll flicking it in and it going straight in, the main thing was the awful decision by Simpson to drop back which caused the goal

Are you seriously serious?

I think so, maybe I am missing something

Point is, does not matter how it went in since Simpson was at fault. If Simpson held his line then Carroll would not have been in a position to flick it in or Simpson get in Kruls way

Easy save if Fanny Simpson wasn't in the way tbh.

I don't think he was blameless for last night. But i ripped into him in the match thread and got slagged off for it, so i'm debating whether or not to go into it again. :razz:

When i said he needs to improve or leave the side, it obviously can't be the case - simply because there's nothing close to him elsewhere in the squad. But i think he's another who's realised his place in the side is pretty cushy, and his performances have faltered somewhat because of it.

He's not at the top of our worries but i think he needs to improve on the last few appearances as he's been a liability at times imo.

Guest neesy111

I don't think he was blameless for last night. But i ripped into him in the match thread and got slagged off for it, so i'm debating whether or not to go into it again. :razz:

When i said he needs to improve or leave the side, it obviously can't be the case - simply because there's nothing close to him elsewhere in the squad. But i think he's another who's realised his place in the side is pretty cushy, and his performances have faltered somewhat because of it.

He's not at the top of our worries but i think he needs to improve on the last few appearances as he's been a liability at times imo.

I know where your coming from.

There was a clear communication breakdown iyam. If it was something they'd worked on in training (as has since been Tweeted), Simpson should have been there in the first place and should have been ordered about - as a goalkeeper is meant to do with his defenders from free-kicks. If it was a rush of blood to the head from Simpson, Krul should have been telling him to fuck off, or at the very least, given him an absolute rollocking afterwards.

For the third goal... well, it was a decent finish from Gerrard, but i question any goalkeeper who's being beaten from that sort of angle.

Might be harsh, but that's just how i saw it.

Still don't get why Krul didn't just disregard Simpson and save it.  Who cares if Simpson gets a clattering?  At least we could then have Santon in the team anyway.

Indeed. Stops the ball going in and teaches Simpson a valuable lesson.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Still don't get why Krul didn't just disregard Simpson and save it.  Who cares if Simpson gets a clattering?  At least we could then have Santon in the team anyway.

Tbf it's not as easy as that. Krul did get in a position to save it just Simpson headed it in in front of Krul's hands.

Also it's not just a case of taking the player and ball. You go to save it normally and you break your fingers. You go with a clenched fist to punch Simpson and should you manage to make contact with the ball after punching a 10+ stone bloke out the way, you palm the ball down into the six yard box which will more than likely end up in the back of the net anyway.

Should have done better for the 3rd like, poor tekkers to offer Gerrard a gap the size of a bus between his legs from such a tight angle, offered him an easy finish where Gerrard should have been forced to square it.

Krul's kicking will improve with time. Given's kicking for example was pretty damn awful when he first started out with us.

Also the free kick was a shot hit with moderate power, not a cross floated in to his area. Keepers don't have time to call "leave it" when it's a shot on goal, their focus will be on making a save, and that's what Krul would have done had Simpson not tried a cowardly, closed-eyes, head-down "because the ball might hurt" clearance.

Krul's kicking will improve with time. Given's kicking for example was pretty damn awful when he first started out with us.

It desperately needs to improve though, the amount of times we 'retained possession' by passing back all the way to the keeper only to give it straight back to them. In fairness he only had Ba to aim for in the last match, but it'd be nice to see him playing it short to the defence occasionally.

Its easy to say pass it short but the fullbacks are too scared to drop too deep and the whole team is hardly set up to play it out from the back at the moment.

True, but I think Colo/Tiote should be looking to give Krul the option of going short.

I think the idea atm is supposed to be that we get the ball to Cabaye quite deep who then should pass it diagonally to the flanks, but our wide players aren't good enough, and people aren't making themselves available, our midfield drops back to receive then watches helplessly as ball sails over their heads towards Obertan, whom doesn't get the ball and is now out of position.

Also the free kick was a shot hit with moderate power, not a cross floated in to his area. Keepers don't have time to call "leave it" when it's a shot on goal, their focus will be on making a save, and that's what Krul would have done had Simpson not tried a cowardly, closed-eyes, head-down "because the ball might hurt" clearance.

Yep :thup:

People must remember that he's only 23 which is still young in 'keeper years so in time, I'm sure he'll improve his distribution/kicking.

He would have comfortably saved the 2nd if it wasn't for danny Simpson impeding him.

However, i thought he went AWOL for the 1st goal, flapped badly at a cross in the 1st half and shouldn't really have been beaten through his legs at such a narrow angle for the 3rd, (Tiote should have tracked back mind i hasten to add).