Sebastien Bassong signs for Tottenham Hotspur, fee undisclosed

Crumpy Gunt

Why would anyone be happy with a fee that we receive for a player in the current circumstance? Until the club is sold or we have a manager and we are buying players, this is just a huge profit for Mike F****ing Ashley. I would rather we kept him and had a decent defender and I refuse to be happy that the fat b****** has made money on one of our only decent young players.

He's getting £100m if/when, this is not going in his back pocket cos it doesnt change that figure

Except that the club is in debt to him, so it's just as likely that he'll use this incoming money to pay down his loan.

It really isn't, the money will go into Newcastle United's accounts, not to Ashley.

Is the club somehow not allowed to pay off loans like?

Why would anyone be happy with a fee that we receive for a player in the current circumstance? Until the club is sold or we have a manager and we are buying players, this is just a huge profit for Mike F****ing Ashley. I would rather we kept him and had a decent defender and I refuse to be happy that the fat b****** has made money on one of our only decent young players.

He's getting £100m if/when, this is not going in his back pocket cos it doesnt change that figure

Except that the club is in debt to him, so it's just as likely that he'll use this incoming money to pay down his loan.

It really isn't, the money will go into Newcastle United's accounts, not to Ashley.

He could if the money is actually an up front payment, but not while he's in the process of selling the club.  Nobody's going to negotiate a 80/90/100m deal for a company while the owner is selling assets and funnelling the money out.  Also I'm sure the bank would have something to say if he started paying off his loans with club money while they continue to finance it with a 35m overdraft facility, like for instance "where the fucks out money you fat fuck?".

If he decides to stay he'd then need that money to keep the club afloat, so there's still no point in taking the money out of the club only to have to loan it back again when the financial year ends.

People will say, well he's an idiot and he doesn't follow good business practice or logic, and that might be right for the most part.  But the fact is he's never taken money out of the club so I don't see any reason to assume he'll do it now.

He could if the money is actually an up front payment, but not while he's in the process of selling the club.  Nobody's going to negotiate a 80/90/100m deal for a company while the owner is selling assets and funnelling the money out.  Also I'm sure the bank would have something to say if he started paying off his loans with club money while they continue to finance it with a 35m overdraft facility, like for instance "where the f***s out money you fat f***?".

If he decides to stay he'd then need that money to keep the club afloat, so there's still no point in taking the money out of the club only to have to loan it back again when the financial year ends.

People will say, well he's an idiot and he doesn't follow good business practice or logic, and that might be right for the most part.  But the fact is he's never taken money out of the club so I don't see any reason to assume he'll do it now.

I hope you're right. I honestly don't have any particular insight on financial matters regarding the club, except that Ashley is a scumbag.

Taking a fair while to talk terms.

We tend to drag these deals out, well...Levy does.

You will wait to after our game to confirm it, otherwise he misses your first game through suspension.

Or he is being offered a low wage, now that would be funny

Guest Spursman88

Taking a fair while to talk terms.

We tend to drag these deals out, well...Levy does.

You will wait to after our game to confirm it, otherwise he misses your first game through suspension.

This is probably what will happen, but negotiations with Bassong will prolly drag on until the weekend anyway.

Guest Stephen927

Found this chaps...thought it quite fitting...

Apologies for the sweary word...ooooooooo!

http://10.media.tumblr.com/LLbanHf7rqtdsa7mgOLEJgHQo1_500.jpg

:lol:

£8m, not bad, plus the £9m for Martins, whatever we get for Beye and the pennies we will get for Edgar, it will soon all mount up,  not to mention we have the Argies to go, ane hopefully Barton on a permanant deal.

Don't see how any bank would allow you to have a loan without terms saying all proceeds and income must come back  to service the debt in forms of principal payments on top of the interest.  By the way, the interest paid on this loan must be massive, no LIBOR-only backed loans these days im afriad.

But who knows...

Sébastien Bassong is set to sign a five-year deal with Tottenham Hotspur after they agreed a fee of up to £12 million with Newcastle United for the defender.

The 23-year-old was undergoing the final part of a medical last night and is likely to gain a place in the first team given that three other central defenders are injured. Bassong, who will cost an initial £8 million and was being considered by Manchester City, still has to serve a two-match suspension.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article6742037.ece

How does everybody think he'll do at Spurs, btw?

On the one hand he was our best defender. But on the other hand he was the best defender on a team with a defense that conceded 59 goals and got relegated. I definitely rate him, but I wonder whether or he might be a little overrated at this point, especially if he went for £12 million.

How much we got of the wage bill now then?

Owen - £105,000

Viduka - £70,000?

Cacapa - £30,000?

Edgar - £10,000?

Martins - £65,000?

Bassong - £6,000

Beye - £50,000?

Obviously only speculating from what we read in the papers but its got to be £300,000 at least.

£12m for somebody with one season's experience in the PL, great business.

£12M?

The Times reckons it's £8m up front, rising to £12m.

We'll never get that extra £4m like, unless it's based on Spurs going for top four but ultimately being rubbish.