Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest Chubby Jason

When will he get called up for England?

Nest squad if he doesn't do anything stupid between now and then.

I was thinking that today when he helped Simpson out on the right byline by playing the pass with the outside of his right boot.

In a way it's good he's not been noticed by the England camp, but it'll also do his confidence a world of good if he gets called up.

I'd say he is close if not back to the form he was on when he was at his best for Man City. Playing a much different role now and a more rounded player. Evident from the commentators today the press is backing off a little. (until he does something stupid again!)

I was thinking that today when he helped Simpson out on the right byline by playing the pass with the outside of his right boot.

In a way it's good he's not been noticed by the England camp, but it'll also do his confidence a world of good if he gets called up.

One thing he has never lacked. He deserves the call to be sure.

What's also pleasing is his relationship with Tiote. The two know each others games perfectly now. If Barton wants to drift towards the centre to spray the occassional ball, Cheick will always drift 10 or 12 yards to the right to cover the position, before reverting back. Their connection is just about seemless. Before we even think about their technical qualities, the fact that these two are so in-tune is one reason why our midfield is so much better than it was two years ago. Great to see. :)

What's also pleasing is his relationship with Tiote. The two know each others games perfectly now. If Barton wants to drift towards the centre to spray the occassional ball, Cheick will always drift 10 or 12 yards to the right to cover the position, before reverting back. Their connection is just about seemless. Before we even think about their technical qualities, the fact that these two are so in-tune is one reason why our midfield is so much better than it was two years ago. Great to see. :)

Very true.  Tiote protects him and allows Barton to play more freely.  They are working great in tandem and were seeing some brilliance from both players.

Crackers how people still want him in the centre.

Like Venkman said in another thread, he sits too deep when he plays centrally, but it is his natural position. I wonder how he would do if he played there now alongside Cheick? Might be pretty tasty, although we obviously need him on the right at the moment.

Crackers how people still want him in the centre.

Like Venkman said in another thread, he sits too deep when he plays centrally, but it is his natural position. I wonder how he would do if he played there now alongside Cheick? Might be pretty tasty, although we obviously need him on the right at the moment.

This is what I'm thinking, but I can't argue with him being on the right while we have no pacey right winger that can cross.  Barton has been outstanding while playing on the right, but I've never seen it as a permanent thing.  Perhaps I should as he's not showing any reasons why he shouldn't continue to play there.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

It's a framework issue. The natural framework for the opposition would see their LM mark him on the attack, but Barton floats inside (basically anywhere he wants) and doesn't have a natural marker. I wouldn't be surprised to see teams start allocating an attacker to mark Barton, since he drops that deep anyway. Thankfully for us, when the opposition are on attack Barton is position to help defend so there isn't an overload down the flank.

If he was to play in the middle, even dropping deep, his natural marker would still be with him.

It's a framework issue. The natural framework for the opposition would see their LM mark him on the attack, but Barton floats inside (basically anywhere he wants) and doesn't have a natural marker. I wouldn't be surprised to see teams start allocating an attacker to mark Barton, since he drops that deep anyway. Thankfully for us, when the opposition are on attack Barton is position to help defend so there isn't an overload down the flank.

If he was to play in the middle, even dropping deep, his natural marker would still be with him.

Yeah completely. It's an unorthodox role he's playing at the moment and it is very difficult to track. Like i said in an earlier post, you'd think his roaming would leave us susceptible on the counter, but Tiote either covers, or Joey tracks back with deceptively rapid pace.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Yeah completely. It's an unorthodox role he's playing at the moment and it is very difficult to track. Like i said in an earlier post, you'd think his roaming would leave us susceptible on the counter, but Tiote either covers, or Joey tracks back with deceptively rapid pace.

Wouldn't say it was pace, just determination and work ethic to not let the team down. Jose does a good job of holding them up for Barton to recover.

With about 15 to go when West Ham were coming close he seemed to be shouting pretty firmly in Nolans direction and vice versa, couldn't tell whether they were arguing or just both giving orders?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Saw that too. I think it was a reminder that Tioté had went off injured and Nolan had to start working to maintain the middle.

I was wrong about moving him back to the middle. He's been a class act out wide.

Me too, although the caveat that the whole midfield is basically working because of Tiote. Without him we couldn't play Nolan as a CM, he would be overrun.

Tiote is obviously the fulcrum of the midfield, he basically keeps it working. But Barton, as our creative outlet, as been absolutely immense. Both equally deserving of the praise they're getting this season.