Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

The crime-sheet carried far more of note than the stalemate between Newcastle United and Arsenal. Even for those of us watching on television, what occurred in the second half made instantly depressing viewing, one that will have the guardians of the game’s image squirming in embarrassment. When was the Premier League’s launch of its “Get on with the Game” campaign? Thursday. How easily they forget.

Barton was more sinned against than sinning but hardly emerges well from the wearying scenes at St James’ Park. The Newcastle midfielder was stamped on by Song, who should have been dismissed by Peter Walton. Song deserves the FA’s disciplinary department coming through his door early tomorrow morning, brandishing a three-game ban. It was dangerous, cynical and cowardly.

Barton was understandably angered and his fuse began burning in familiar fashion. This is a player who cannot visit the United States because of past misdemeanours, who will not be considered for England duty because Fabio Capello is very aware of the prickly nature of Barton’s personality. Yet in fairness to Barton he has sought to control his notorious temper, to stop that switch in his head from flicking into mayhem mode. He has had extensive counselling, given up alcohol, and tried to keep the demons in check.

Once so negative, that energy flow needs an outlet, and Barton seems to have spent the past month pouring it out on Twitter. He has engaged in jousts with his many followers on Twitter, including a lengthy late-night exchange with this columnist, involving George Orwell quotes. When I wished him luck on whatever road took him in life, even on the road to Wigan pier, I had concerned enquiries from Newcastle fans as to whether Barton was off to the DW Stadium.

Barton appears to possess one of those hyperactive personalities, always needing something to occupy him. Honest about his earlier transgressions, Barton now reacts when he feels the victim. Song’s stamp fuelled that grievance. So when Gervinho dived, Barton responded, dragging the Ivorian up, and then squaring up. Gervinho slapped Barton, who reacted pathetically, collapsing as if he had encountered Mike Tyson. How rugby union players must laugh at the kindergarten antics of footballers. Gervinho’s effort was hardly Manu Tuilagi.

There can be no sympathy for Gervinho, and the inevitable red arrived for raising his hands, but there will also be widespread consternation that Barton received only a yellow.

Taylor should have a word with Barton, repeating the sentiments he expressed at the Premier League’s “Get on with the Game’’ launch. “I know I’m being a hostage to fortune,’’ said Taylor prophetically, “but, bearing in mind the social unrest, football is the one thing I can think of that brings together every section of the community.’’ Football can distract, inspire, unite. Footballers, many from socially-deprived backgrounds, can show troubled teenagers that hard work can bring huge rewards.

“We try to impress on players that image of the game is important,’’ continued Taylor. “It’s important the game is played in the best spirit, that there’s respect for opponents. Footballers are expected to have old heads on young shoulders.” Sadly, Barton too often gives the impression of having an empty head on young shoulders. After being surrounded by irate Arsenal players, Barton signalled to Robin van Persie his belief that Gervinho had hit him with a punch. Barton has some soul-searching to do after this incident.

A Premier League inquest is required into the apparent lack of communication between the officials, establishing whether low batteries meant the headsets didn’t function. More significantly, the Football Association needs to consider introducing sin-bins which seem to work well in rugby.

So the season has started with a stamp, a dive, a slap and a shredding of hopes for more respect. “The referees have said there’s been a noticeable difference in players,’’ remarked Taylor on Thursday. Not for long.

He has engaged in jousts with his many followers on Twitter, including a lengthy late-night exchange with this columnist, involving George Orwell quotes. When I wished him luck on whatever road took him in life, even on the road to Wigan pier, I had concerned enquiries from Newcastle fans as to whether Barton was off to the DW Stadium.

:lol:

He has engaged in jousts with his many followers on Twitter, including a lengthy late-night exchange with this columnist, involving George Orwell quotes. When I wished him luck on whatever road took him in life, even on the road to Wigan pier, I had concerned enquiries from Newcastle fans as to whether Barton was off to the DW Stadium.

:lol:

:lol: Brilliant.

Yes Barton might have went down easy but although contact wasn't great Gervinho did raise his hands and if he Joey hadn't hit the deck i doubt from where the ref was and the linesman were i don't think the ref would have sent him off.  Joey would be getting slated on here now for not going down if Gervinho has ended up staying on and popped up to grab a late winner for them.

Yes it was soft and didn't look good and while it may have stretched the gamesmanship Joey going down and making the decision easier for the ref was good play and could have helped us grab all three points.

Thought it was pretty shameful tbh- after he had a go at Pedersen for going down too easy (and responded by smacking him) I think he's truly embarrassed himself. Wish he'd cut this s*** out of his game, if it was a player from any other club people would be queueing up to have a go at him.

sigh

What?

As I said, if it was a player from the other team people would have gone off it. Sick of him posturing as a moral benchmark on Twitter when he dives and stubs out cigars in peoples eyes.

tbf, Jonas could smack the ball clear as day out of play and people at SJP would go off it when the ref gives the opposition a throw in :lol:

Thought it was pretty shameful tbh- after he had a go at Pedersen for going down too easy (and responded by smacking him) I think he's truly embarrassed himself. Wish he'd cut this s*** out of his game, if it was a player from any other club people would be queueing up to have a go at him.

sigh

What?

As I said, if it was a player from the other team people would have gone off it. Sick of him posturing as a moral benchmark on Twitter when he dives and stubs out cigars in peoples eyes.

tbf, Jonas could smack the ball clear as day out of play and people at SJP would go off it when the ref gives the opposition a throw in :lol:

I remember someone (think it was Kaz) arguing that Pedersen was feigning injury after he got basically GBHd by Barton :lol:

Like I said, had he dragged him too his feet, grapppled and that had been it they would of both got yellows, Gervinho was daft enough to react and he suffered the consequences. Barton's behaviour was far from innocent but had Gervinho not been dismissed I doubt anyone would have been calling for a red on Barton's part, it was handbags for the most part.

I thought he was really lucky not to have got sent off after yanking Gervinho from the ground by his shirt. You shouldn't lay your hands on a player in such an aggressive manner and expect to get away with it. I find it amusing that anyone who sees it that way is accused of bias. The irony :)

1 Barton #7 shirt

+ 1 stylish bit of haircutting

+ BB/iphone in one hand

+ Collected Works of Friedrich Nietzsche in the other hand

= instant Halloween kit.  :thup:

...that is, if I still got Halloween party invites at my advanced age... :alone:

Didn't see anything wrong with Barton helping Gervinho to his feet. I seem to remember Rio Ferdinand doing the same with Torres.

This twitter thing is tedious, just draws constant attention to the club because he's obviously going to be banging on about things from the days match or more like confrontations. I watched him in the first half and thought "we really need to keep hold of you" and then thought when all that nonsense happened "lets just get rid to be honest". He might be committed to the cause but he's massively self centred and too much of a drama queen. JUST GET ON WITH IT ffs

Called Brian Woolnough a nugget on twitter this morning when the sunday supplement was on.

Woolnough comes back on after the break and says 'Joey.. if this wasnt a faimily show i would tell you exactly what I think of you'

Barton man  :clap: :clap:    :smitten: :mackems:

Guest johnson293

Anyone knows what exactly Barton got booked for? Was it for holding on to Gervinho or for overreacting when Gervinho hit him?

I'd have guessed it was for some sort of 'ungentlemanly conduct' the way he dragged Gervinho up - however, seeing it again on MOTD, the referee didn't appear to see the inital flare up, and just headed over once the crowd of players was there, and then the subsequent slap.

He may have taken advice from an assistant though, about Barton's initial involvement.

Arsenal seem to particularly hate him for some reason. I remember this from Keegan's last game:

"Joey came on and got a very good tackle in on Nasri, then the guy just sliced him down. If you write any different to that, youre deceiving your readers.

I was upset at the end. I like Nasri very much hes a player we looked at and talked about but you cant do that. Joey hasnt done anything wrong there. I thought it was an excellent tackle. He got the ball he didnt go in double-footed or anything.

Gael Clichy added:

"We know the guy. He wanted to make something for his first game back and I don't want to talk about it but Samir did well and I'm proud of him."

Then the Diaby thing the last time we played them, and then today

Best laugh is that Barton always coming out on top :smug:

Arsenal :lol: :lol: :lol:

Called Brian Woolnough a nugget on twitter this morning when the sunday supplement was on.

Woolnough comes back on after the break and says 'Joey.. if this wasnt a faimily show i would tell you exactly what I think of you'

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: