Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

For me, the man was a hypocrite today. He goes on about how he's so against diving and the mentality of cheating to gain an advantage, but he in turn responded to the Gervinho dive by falling to the floor in a pathetic manner to ensure Gervinho saw red.

I distinguish between diving and making a meal of something, personally.

Diving is feigning something that hasn't happened. Or faking that there was malice in someone brushing your face accidentally.

Being dramatic about something to ensure the right result follows (ie. a sending off) is just "playing the game" so to speak. Not particularly cool or nice to see, but you'd be a doormat/naive not to. It's, sadly, where football is...

[/iMO]

For me, the man was a hypocrite today. He goes on about how he's so against diving and the mentality of cheating to gain an advantage, but he in turn responded to the Gervinho dive by falling to the floor in a pathetic manner to ensure Gervinho saw red.

A dive to win a penalty during play is nothing like dropping to the ground after being slapped. The fact is Gervinho raised his hand to Barton. If Barton went down or not Gervinho had to be sent off.

I'm not disputing that. I'm highlighting Barton's hypocrisy.

I don't disagree with that at all, but he wasn't the one stamped on and slap, and didn't deserve a red, he got what he deserved which was a yellow.

Diving is feigning something that hasn't happened. Or faking that there was malice in someone brushing your face accidentally.

Being dramatic about something to ensure the right result follows (ie. a sending off) is just "playing the game" so to speak. Not particularly cool or nice to see, but you'd be a doormat/naive not to. It's, sadly, where football is...

[/iMO]

Again, more generally as you say, it's a reflection of the state of the game. What did he say on Twitter? "I went down to make it clear there was contact"?

The whole mentality stinks. Gervinho was in the wrong for diving, Barton was in the wrong for grabbing him like he did, Gervinho was in the wrong for slapping him, Barton was in the wrong for falling to the floor like he'd been shot. Just everything about it stunk and painted a sad picture of the state of our game IMO.

Difference is, Gervinho raising his hands is always a red card. Whether Barton goes down or not. EDIT: Also what Beren said.

Still yet to see the footage of the whole incident (can't wait, btw)... but from what i can gather, one or two people are pissed off cos Barton got annoyed by the persistent cheating of an opposing player, and frustratedly pulled the guy to his feet. That's not an offence, so why would you be angry? The fight in Barton, providing it's legal, is one of the team's major assets imo.

However, like i say... haven't seen it yet but that's how it reads, at least.

This.

I'm sure the irony will be lost on Joey. He's an absolute clown, decent player or not.

A dive to win a penalty during play is nothing like dropping to the ground after being slapped. The fact is Gervinho raised his hand to Barton. If Barton went down or not Gervinho had to be sent off.

How is it hypocrisy? Barton didn't cheat. Gervinho did hit Barton. Gervinho did dive during the game. Gervinho did the cheating. Barton got stamped on and then slapped. Maybe he went down to make sure the slap was noticed but it doesn't change the fact that he was slapped.

How is it hypocrisy? Barton didn't cheat. Gervinho did hit Barton. Gervinho did dive during the game. Gervinho did the cheating. Barton got stamped on and then slapped. Maybe he went down to make sure the slap was noticed but it doesn't change the fact that he was slapped.

There's a difference but they're not 2 entirely separate concepts. Barton's behaviour was entirely unnecessary just as Gervinho's was.

Also, I'm not talking about the stamp whatsoever, and it had no bearing on the Gervinho incident.

Very few players in the game who wouldn't have done what Joey did. Sad perhaps, but true.

I can't argue with this. As I said, the whole incident was pathetic from start to finish.

A distinction without a difference.

What's more, it sounds like a quality tussle of mind-games between one guy and the whole opposition. You just know that Wenger will have told his lads to go out and wind Barton up... in turn, our guy's absolutely pwned them by inflicting the same on them. :lol: Terrific. And by all accounts, it sounds like Gervinho was a potential match-winner so you could say it guaranteed the point.

I NEED to see it, i know i've got no real grounds commenting on it... but like i say, honestly can't get how people can be angry at the guy, given everything i've read/heard.

What's more, it sounds like a quality tussle of mind-games between one guy and the whole opposition. You just know that Wenger will have told his lads to go out and wind Barton up... in turn, our guy's absolutely pwned them by inflicting the same on them. :lol: Terrific. And by all accounts, it sounds like Gervinho was a potential match-winner so you could say it guaranteed the point.

I NEED to see it, i know i've got no real grounds commenting on it... but like i say, honestly can't get how people can be angry at the guy, given everything i've read/heard.

:thup: It was fantastic.

[/iMO]

Again, more generally as you say, it's a reflection of the state of the game. What did he say on Twitter? "I went down to make it clear there was contact"?

The whole mentality stinks. Gervinho was in the wrong for diving, Barton was in the wrong for grabbing him like he did, Gervinho was in the wrong for slapping him, Barton was in the wrong for falling to the floor like he'd been shot. Just everything about it stunk and painted a sad picture of the state of our game IMO.

You're 100% right. Football is a bit of shitty, disgusting game in some respects. Until there's serious repercussions/deterrents for diving/play-acting... it's a cancer the game will live with. Sadly, it's very controversial and difficult pragmatically to get those measures in... so it'll get worse and worse.

I think it's interesting in the context of the game. I understand Barton's view insofar as, what happened when Barton didn't make a meal (immediately) out of Song's stamp? If someone hit me in the face (even if it was a shitty girl slap like Gervinho's), I wouldn't go down personally. Or at least I'd like to think I wouldn't. Maybe if I played the game professionally and played with the Pedersen (the one-inch shove that got Barton banned for three) and Suarezs and Hernandezs who frequently dived and exaggerated gripes to gain an advantage... maybe it'd wear me down, and I would start to "play the game". :dontknow:

I see both sides. Admittedly, I only see Barton's from a theoretical standpoint ;)

Dont blame him after being blatently stamped on by Song then seeing Gervinho blatently cheat, must have been so pissed off by it.

Blown completely out of proportion just because its Barton. If it was any other player,people wouldbe going crazy about the stamp.

Dont see anything differen between the Vidic and Drogba champions league slap. Gervinho slap was probably no more harder than Drogba's and no one was saying Drogba shouldnt have been sent off. And Vidic was going just as crazy as Barton but no one said he should have been sent off.

Barton had been stamped on with no punishment so not suprised he went down after Gervinho raised his hands

There's a difference but they're not 2 entirely separate concepts. Barton's behaviour was entirely unnecessary just as Gervinho's was.

Also, I'm not talking about the stamp whatsoever, and it had no bearing on the Gervinho incident.

Barton getting stamped on was another example of Arsenal's cheating (to go with Gervinho's dives). I'd have been livid if Gervinho hadn't been sent off for slapping Barton.  Barton going down helped make sure justice was done. Barton is no angel but I'd be happy if the rules that get applied to Barton were applied to all other players. Barton will be the one getting slagged off in the media.

Wilshires stuck his nose in

JackWilshere Jack Wilshere

I think @joey7barton was in the wrong today! He should not have got invovled and assaulted Gerviniho like that #justsaying

I don't agree with what Barton did but it was hardly "assault"

I think @joey7barton was in the wrong today! He should not have got invovled and assaulted Gerviniho like that #justsaying

17 minutes ago

assault? Really jack? Thats what you call assault? Do you really want to know how Joey assaults?

That's not really to be disputed, but I've watched a match there today when a player has stamped on another in full view of the referee and gotten away with it.  If Barton doesn't fall down then Gervinho will get away with raising his hands, a pattern that has reoccured over several seasons that seems to show it's OK if an offence is against Joey Barton.

Also, I can't remember the media being so critical of Pedersen falling to the ground after being struck down by the patented Joey Barton Touch of Death finisher last season.  All that we heard repeatedly then was that Barton had 'punched' someone and the media made as much noise as they could until The FA investigated. After the incident tonight it was all that the commentators could talk about, although admittedly it was the highlight of the match.

hey wilshire..shut your trap.

That's bordering on defamation of character tbh

Had no bearin on it, u really believe that? if the officials had dealt with the stamp, joey would not of had to over act the slap just to make sure it was seen and dealt with. i dont condone it, but im pretty sure that was the case. song tried to wind him up with the stamp and joey wound up gervinho and won. didnt react himself and got the reaction he wanted