Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

He ran the team for the first couple of games but has been truly abysmal for the last couple.

Two years on and we still have an inconsistent Barton, cloggers like Smith and Nolan and guys like Guthrie, who whilst he tries just isn't good enough, and people wonder why we are struggling.

Greg, he gave the ball away with almost every pass against Man City.

I wouldn't go that far, he was poor again City but on Saturday he took it another level and truly was abysmal.

Wasn't that bad against City

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3214/barton.jpg

Aston Villa game aside, Barton has done nowt in the top flight since he came to this club.

Did he not play quite well under Keegan?  That and Villa aside its hard to argue any different.

tbf, Owen played quite well under Keegan.

I am actually pretty shocked at people saying he's been abysmal this season. Honestly think he's been quality. He's been very composed on the ball and his passing has been good. I feel like we have half a chance when our CM pairing is him and Tioté.

I didn't see the Wigan game.

I am actually pretty shocked at people saying he's been abysmal this season. Honestly think he's been quality. He's been very composed on the ball and his passing has been good. I feel like we have half a chance when our CM pairing is him and Tioté.

Barton was Gash and all Tiote seemed interested in was getting a red card.

I assume you're referring to the Wigan game. I'll have to take your word for it as I didn't see it. I heard Kamara mention he put a chance on a plate for Carroll though.

I do however think he's played very well overall this season.

I assume you're referring to the Wigan game. I'll have to take your word for it as I didn't see it. I heard Kamara mention he put a chance on a plate for Carroll though.

Aye Wigan game.

Barton dilly dallied on the ball and got dispossessed for their 2nd goal.

He was poor throughout, far too slow and very lightweight.

Tiote was lucky to stay on the field on saturday. Should have had a straight red for kicking out at someone who pulled his shirt and also got away without getting a seconf yellow for a number of fouls that should have seen him booked for peristent fouling.

So he's had some good games early on this season, and had, god forbid, 2 bad games in a row and people are suddenly saying he is rubbish?  The fickleness of some people on this board sometimes....

I don't think he should be near our team and said so before the season started.

He's lightweight, slow and indecisive with his passing.

Was a nice lofted ball but it was nowhere near what I'd call on a plate and that was all he did. His general involvement and distribution was shocking.

I'd say Barton had a decent first half against Wigan, and got worse in the second. Tiote I think was the opposite.

In general though, I think Barton has been improving. We should use Guthrie to pressure him for his place rather than play on the right.

I think Barton has played well this season.  He's not a world beater and not the player he seemed he might become 4-5 years ago, but let's face it - he is the best we have in that position.  I want to see Guthrie put pressure on Barton, but at the moment, Barton is the better pick.

Let's see how he plays in the next few games before we start casting him out of the team.

Barton will never hide, His confidence means he is constantly showing for the ball and gives his teammates an option. It was noticeable that he and Tiote have realised this about each other and find each other good partners, both always  involved together in our best moves out of defence and going forward.

Essential to have players like this especially when you have players like Perch and Williamson who are obviously terrified of receiving the ball.

Bartons trouble is his fitness does not match his astute football mind anymore. It is a bit of what we have with Nolan only not quite as advanced in the decrepid stakes.

Past lifestyles take their toll and it is what we are witnessing, I am afraid he may never regain true match fitness which is a great shame.

He will have his ups and downs all season like every other midfielder. I think he started the season very well with a couple of terrific displays, especially at Everton where he was brilliant alongside Tioté. I think one of the reasons why both him and Tioté looked bad on Saturday was because of the change in formation. Instead of Tioté being the anchor they had to share the different tasks, and obviously failed to do so. Not many teams manage a two-man centre partnership in the Premiership, and so therefore I think Hughton should be careful with that.

Having said that, Bartons approach and urgency is something we need and will need throughout the season. His character and willingness to keep going will be a great asset, especially away from home.

He will have his ups and downs all season like every other midfielder. I think he started the season very well with a couple of terrific displays, especially at Everton where he was brilliant alongside Tioté. I think one of the reasons why both him and Tioté looked bad on Saturday was because of the change in formation. Instead of Tioté being the anchor they had to share the different tasks, and obviously failed to do so. Not many teams manage a two-man centre partnership in the Premiership, and so therefore I think Hughton should be careful with that.

Having said that, Bartons approach and urgency is something we need and will need throughout the season. His character and willingness to keep going will be a great asset, especially away from home.

What Urgency?

Time and again Lovenkrands made runs on saturday and ended up offisde or not receiving the ball due to a lack of a quick ball mainly from Barton.

His lack of urgency resulted in him being dispossessed for their seconf goal as well.

So he's had some good games early on this season, and had, god forbid, 2 bad games in a row and people are suddenly saying he is rubbish?  The fickleness of some people on this board sometimes....

If you go beyond the win = good game, loss = bad game then there's a bit more to it than that. Like the rest of our central midfielders apart from Tiote, Barton doesn't sprint, he casually strolls along then stops after passing the ball. It's why he never gets beyond the forwards to get into the penalty area. He's got goods ability on the ball but in the premier the opposition won't allow you to play at half tempo and that's what Barton does.

He is one-paced, slow, negative at times with his passing, unfit and a victim of his own stupidity.Will NEVER be the player he should have been.

Would have sold him 2 years ago. The only decent PL m/fielder we have is Tiote and he is a defensive player.

Villa and first half against Stoke aside he's been pretty poor. Running into opposition players, cross field balls to no one, getting in the way when tracking back. He has more of an engine than Guthrie but it's about time Danny boy was given a chance along side Tiote.

The only problem with  Barton is that if he and Tiote are to play together in midfield we need three attacking midfielders who are capable of moving around because neither Tiote or Barton are the best going forward. Barton is very good on the ball, but taking it forward he rarely seems to do any good with it, but he will score the occasional goal since he has a good shot and can take penalties. With an immobile Nolan it will be impossible for him to play at his best or with a 4-4-2.