Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Only just found out about this, pretty disappointing to be honest.

He won't stay for another year if they're not offering anything now. He's guaranteed to leave this summer now, with all the reported interest in him.

I'm sure there's more to this story but......well, if they can replace him with something better than it may be acceptable. Otherwise, bit of a disaster :(

Only time will tell..

Anyone fancy describing what Barton's current game is?

Make a 3rd man in central midfield when we're being overrun but at the same time try to dictate the play from a wide rightish position with Simpson doing his forward running at times for him. Generally being an option for the knocked off ball on that side of play too whip a cross in from deep.

Hard to pick anyone who plays like him, or indeed like our midfield but for some reason it works.

Guest Recoba

It's silly season.  McKay is playing the game just like Del Boy.  This one has a few more twists in it.

Guest johnson293

Just read this

McKay said: "I must say that, to be fair to Newcastle and the current Board, they stuck by Joey. I think he repaid them last season - I think he had a great season. But they stuck by him, there's no doubt about that, Derek Llambias especially."

Doesn't really sound like they have fallen out, more just a contract disagreement, this isn't the last we will hear of it thats for sure.

Hmm, if thats the case, what has happened to cause this...

McKay (Barton's agent) on BBC Newcastle. “Only way Joey will stay at #Nufc (beyond present contract), I think, is if there are new owners."

Just read this

McKay said: "I must say that, to be fair to Newcastle and the current Board, they stuck by Joey. I think he repaid them last season - I think he had a great season. But they stuck by him, there's no doubt about that, Derek Llambias especially."

Doesn't really sound like they have fallen out, more just a contract disagreement, this isn't the last we will hear of it thats for sure.

McKay (Barton's agent) on BBC Newcastle. “Only way Joey will stay at #Nufc (beyond present contract), I think, is if there are new owners."

They won't offer him the contract length he wants.

Just read this

or the fee mckay wants

Guest sicko2ndbest

Tbh we can sit this one out

He needs to play well in order to attract another club

He will be 30 at the end of the season and we will have had his best years

Win win

He is not that good. Those people saying look at his assists! Most of them cane from hung balls that Carroll attacked or set pieces.

His tenacity and ability to keep the ball is what we may miss but I'm sur he can be replaced

Guest bimpy474

Just read this

What he said :)

Call me naive, but anyone who thinks the club are right in this instance needs slapping with three legged goat. Barton was one of our 'players of the season' and he should be treated as so.

Call me naive, but anyone who thinks the club are right in this instance needs slapping with three legged goat. Barton was one of our 'players of the season' and he should be treated as so.

he should be fucking thankful Newcastle stood by him also for all these years. Its down to Newcastle that he's still a football player.

So there's no contract offer, but if there was he won't stay anyway because of the owners? Sounds like McKay's getting mixed up in his own words ???

He won't stay for another year if they're not offering anything now. He's guaranteed to leave this summer now, with all the reported interest in him.

I'm not so sure about this. As with Michael Owen in his final year, Joey is on more money than he'd get elsewhere. It'd be in his interests financially to see out his contract and then be a free agent. He's not going to care whether the club get a transfer fee and he can't be sold without his agreement.

What's more, I don't think a club with better prospects than us are going to be in for him, so he may as well sit on the situation.

We've heard a lot about how he'll sign if a) Nolan signs b) the club re-invest the Carroll transfer money c) he gets a 4 year contract and even d) if there's a change of ownership. (Is that last one true??) The club might well have said, no more if-ing and waiting to see what other people do. Sign now or we'll make plans for a future without you.

I can also see the club being reluctant to offer a 4 year contract when he's spent much of the previous 3 years either injured, suspended or in jail.

I'm disappointed at this, but I can see their point of view.

Guest johnson293

So there's no contract offer, but if there was he won't stay anyway because of the owners? Sounds like McKay's getting mixed up in his own words ???

Exactly what I was thinking.

Saying he (probably) wont stay unless there are new owners, is a pretty definitive stance to take if all he wants is a longer contract... especially with someone like MA.

he should be f***ing thankful Newcastle stood by him also for all these years. Its down to Newcastle that he's still a football player.

To be fair, he has supposedly said he'd take a pay cut and another club would have offered him a contract if he wasn't here...let's not kid ourselves. I would have totally agreed with your post 2 year ago, for what it's worth, but then 2 year ago I wouldn't have said we would be back in the top flight and beating teams 6-0, 5-0, 5-1, etc. In which, Joey Barton played a massive part in.

as Baggio says its because he wants a 4 year deal. 4 years is just too much