Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

People seem to forget that there were plenty of times Barton was our best player irrespective of the assists stats etc. If one of the new players proves to be better then fine but as things stand he's still a starter IMO.

From his tweets it seems pretty clear that he values the old guard above the new arrivals. Joey would be an asset next season if he was prepared to be part of the new look Newcastle but he doesn't seem too sold on the club's view of the way forward which could be a problem. 

???

Examples?

Didn't Barton say something about how he's unhappy that the club are replacing all the older players and buying younger, quicker and better players?

Dont really like the idea of going to the Stadium of Light with only Colo and Jonas over the age of 27 (asuming we don't sell them as well) and a load of new french signings still finding their feet. 

Really hope Bartons still here and somewhere in the middle of the park for that game.

Although the same applies for the whole season really - Looking at the experience in the squad, I'd definitely make sure he was in the 1st 11 more often than not

Agreed, people seem to think these new players are going to be firing on all cylinders from the off.  We can't afford to just chuck all of the new signings in together and hope that they can play together from day 1.  We'll need as much experience as we can get at the start of the season and I'm concerned that we're trying to do too much by bringing in a lot of foreigners who have no or little experience of this league.  I would think at this time we're probably looking at starting with 5 new players, I include Ban Arfa as a new player as he's played so few games.

I’m not sure how we’d handle a few poor results early in the season if we have too many new players to the league.

To do so would be unfair on the new lads as much as anything. Sink or swim against Arsenal and the mackems? I wouldn't like to go into it without some experience backing me up, I know that much.

How much experience do you think we should have? Would you include Ba as someone with experience coming from half a season in the Premiership?

I wouldn't have any problem with throwing Ba + someone new in up front as with experience or not they would have to have a shocker to do worse than Shola and Lovenkrands.

From the midfield I think we could go 2 from last season and 2 new guys with Marveaux being used from the bench, a lot will depend on the formation we set out with pre season though.

I think that would be fair enough although I'd play Shola against the mackems. He's well and truly got their number.

Bedding in defenders is definitely the most difficult of the three so we're alright there (for now).

I think that would be fair enough although I'd play Shola against the mackems. He's well and truly got their number.

Oh aye, Shola's the first name on the team sheet when the unwashed pop up. :snod:

People seem to forget that there were plenty of times Barton was our best player irrespective of the assists stats etc. If one of the new players proves to be better then fine but as things stand he's still a starter IMO.

From his tweets it seems pretty clear that he values the old guard above the new arrivals. Joey would be an asset next season if he was prepared to be part of the new look Newcastle but he doesn't seem too sold on the club's view of the way forward which could be a problem. 

???

Examples?

Didn't Barton say something about how he's unhappy that the club are replacing all the older players and buying younger, quicker and better players?

IIRC he said it seemed unlikely they'd do all that without spending any money, in a sarcastic tone as some of us might. Obviously in reference to his own situation.

???

Examples?

IIRC he said it seemed unlikely they'd do all that without spending any money, in a sarcastic tone as some of us might. Obviously in reference to his own situation.

Looking more and more like he's wrong about that.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he knew about Nolan going at that point.

The clubs interest in Matuidi is what makes me question Barton's future with the club.  I just can't see the purpose of having both Matuidi and Barton.  If we sign Matuidi it will be for a big fee and I can't see him sitting behind Barton nor can I see Barton sitting behind him while on the last year of his contract.  It's possible that Pardew will want to play Barton as a wide midfielder with barton crossing from the right and Enrique from the left but again, even assuming just one striker, who among Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye or Matuidi would sit?  You would also have to assume that Marveaux was signed to be a squad player and primarily back up the wings.  The midfield would look even more crowded if we played with two strikers.

The only other possibility is if Pardew plans to mix and match depending on the opponent 

Play a narrow 4312 with:

Ba  striker

Ben Arfa

Matuidi  Cabaye

Tiote

Play a 4231 with:

Ba

Jonas                Ben Arfa            Marveaux

Tiote                Cabaye

Or as someone pointed out earlier a 4231 with:

Ba

Jonas      Ben Arfa

Cabaye        Barton

Tiote

Or a conventional 442 with:

Ba    striker

Marveaux          Tiote        Matuidi  Barton

It would be pretty ambitious to play all those different formations and the players would have to buy into it but damn it would be pretty neat to have such a variety of lineups avaiable and able to do the business.

Guest ykmkmdd

If we could get Zog

Ba

Ben Arfa         N'Zogbia

Cabaye Barton

Tiote

I think that formation could work well even without Zog - we've got Jonas and Marveaux who could both play either side of that front 3.

There's no question of Joey's ability, but I'm not sure he'd be in the right frame of mind to play at his best next season. He seems confused about whether he wants to stay or go, and I can picture him being not quite part of things round the club.

I think Pardew will go for something like the above, nice defensive shield in front of the defence and 3 players capable of goals up front.

Simpson---Colo---Tayls---Enrique (?)

----Barton----Tiote----Cabaye---

--------Benarfa------Jonas-----

----------------BA--------------

You deffo need the full backs to push on when attacking otherwise no width and relatively easy to defend against by filling the middle...

Guest Roger Kint

I think Pardew will go for something like the above, nice defensive shield in front of the defence and 3 players capable of goals up front.Simpson---Colo---Tayls---Enrique (?)

----Barton----Tiote----Cabaye---

--------Benarfa------Jonas-----

----------------BA--------------

You deffo need the full backs to push on when attacking otherwise no width and relatively easy to defend against by filling the middle...

???

Agree with the formation mind.

???

Examples?

Looking more and more like he's wrong about that.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he knew about Nolan going at that point.

looking more and more right from where i'm sitting

Barton was rubbish in the middle so what makes people think he'd work in a central three?

indeed, there;s a possibility that having better players around him would help but he looked awkward in the middle last season

For me he's wide right in a midfield four or nowhere, so unless we play 4-4-2 which is seemingly unlikely I can't see him fitting in, and even if we do play 4-4-2 the fact we're looking at people like Barnetta & being linked with N'Zogbia suggests we're looking for an out-and-out winger who can take people on.

I dunno, we've not seen him on the outside of a 3 and it's not a million miles off the position he's played on the right of 4, he doesn't exactly hug the wing.

He'd still be able to get in crosses from there, would have more options to pass too and won't be as rushed to play the ball.

Still though I doubt the new look team has a definate role for Barton, it's built without him in mind but we will use him where we an till the end of season or sold.

I dunno, we've not seen him on the outside of a 3 and it's not a million miles off the position he's played on the right of 4, he doesn't exactly hug the wing.

He'd still be able to get in crosses from there, would have more options to pass too and won't be as rushed to play the ball.

Still though I doubt the new look team has a definate role for Barton, it's built without him in mind but we will use him where we an till the end of season or sold.

We did under Keegan when he was fantastic.

People need to think outside the box a bit here imo. Playing in the centre doesn't mean he's restricted to the centre circle, especialy when a part of a midfield 3. He'll be given the freedom he needs, but doesn't get when part of a midfield 2 (where you have to be much more diciplined). He would also be free to push out onto the right during periods of the game.

Everyone saying he's shite in the middle, has to play right wing is a tad overcritical anyway IMO.  Played really well against Chelski and WBA in the middle last two games of the season I thought.  Although he was much more consistent on the right.