Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

I fail to see how Barton is seen as our best midfielder, let alone our best player. Where's the evidence?

To be fair you could tell his vision and passing ability was better than his team mates yesterday during his brief cameo. Technically he is far above anything we have, only other play who looks nearly as comfortable on the ball in the middle of the park is Guthrie.

I think he would have been a much bigger influence in the engine room than Nolan whose pass for the goal was his only real contribution.

Guest The Libertine
has been swept under the carpet... atleast it's settled

another chance then. there'll be people saying "ah go on, give him another chance" at his funeral.

But in a physical league such as the championship, how long before Barton gets kicked and then goes for a "revenge tackle" which ultimately sees him sent off?!

For me he's far too much of a liability, and his attitude stinks, that said, he's better than Nolan.  It's a hard choice.

I would have loved to see him sacked after the liverpool game last season, but he has at least shown some passion at times, unlike most of our other players.

Hard choice.

I honestly can't believe that so much was made of that tackle at Liverpool. Far, far worse tackles have been punished with yellow cards

I also think that if he would have tackled that way - lets say a Hull player - he wouldn't have been sent off. It was because he is Joey Barton and it was because the opponents were Liverpool IMO.

It was the fact it was in the final minutes, Alonso was going away from goal, there was literally NO need for the tackle and Barton went in like a total maniac.

That said, Nolan's tackle on Anichebe was 100x worse, but Barton's reputation is going to follow him around for the rest of his life.

Guest The Libertine

I honestly can't believe that so much was made of that tackle at Liverpool. Far, far worse tackles have been punished with yellow cards

I also think that if he would have tackled that way - lets say a Hull player - he wouldn't have been sent off. It was because he is Joey Barton and it was because the opponents were Liverpool IMO.

bullshit conspiracy theories aside, it still doesnt explain why he then had a fight with the manager (who was giving barton another chance btw) and got suspended.

Guest The Libertine

With the massive exception of that brawl in late 2007, Barton has been pretty well-behaved for us

dropped yesterday, argued with manager and assistant last season, suspended by us last season, kung fu kicked a sunderland player, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7122616.stm , investigated by the FA for racial abuse etc.

i'll edit this in a week or 2  :iamatwat:

he's such an idiotic tit though. If there was a proper leader at the club maybe they could get him to wind his neck in a bit

There was a proper leader at the club end of last season in the shape of Shearer, Joey had a bust up with him too according to reports - I don't know?

Tbh if he was dropped for tactical reasons thats just stupid imho playing Nolan is stupid as he has no pace and may pop a couple of shots in but Barton atleast creates more chances at this level given the chance imho

With the massive exception of that brawl in late 2007, Barton has been pretty well-behaved for us

dropped yesterday, argued with manager and assistant last season, suspended by us last season, kung fu kicked a sunderland player, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7122616.stm , investigated by the FA for racial abuse etc.

i'll edit this in a week or 2  :iamatwat:

the part in bold is all one incident, the rest is speculation. As for the kung fu kick, are you honestly going to tell me you've never kicked someone in red and white?

Hardly a kung fu kick. Haha. And that racially abusing thing was bollocks. He's got a short fuse and he can be stupid sometimes, but that's about it. Since he's been here anyway. Had he did the tackle Guthrie did against Hull imagine the reaction.

Guest schmuck

^Aye and re: Liverpool I think he had a right to be aggrieved at getting lambasted by his own manager for a sending off that he should never have had. Since he's reputedly stopped drinking that and another football related dispute are all he's guilty of, if guilty is even the right word.

another chance then. there'll be people saying "ah go on, give him another chance" at his funeral.

i don't really see how an argument occurring and then being resolved between grown adults would require 'another chance' for either of them tbh.

I think Guthrie has shown more than Barton myself.

For us, by virtue of having played consistently since he's joined the club, yes. But over his career no. Barton more or less single handedly carried a piss poor Man City's attacking threat and kept them up under Stuart Pearce, I think he was top of their scoring and assists chart, and can pick passes that very few other players can (Shearer's little barb at him in the studio on Saturday completely unfounded imo). Guthrie already is already a superb little player, but Barton has real calibre and theres been nothing in his performances for us to suggest it's diminished any.

Guest The Libertine

the examples i gave are one that brought the club the most negative press. what other player in recent times has caused so much bother while giving so little back?

i don't really see how an argument occurring and then being resolved between grown adults would require 'another chance' for either of them tbh.

it was clearly more than just a squabble if he got dropped from an important game because of it. "players argue all the time in training" apparently but how many get dropped?

(from reading your whole post and seeing your user name, are you barton?  :aww: )

Guest Heneage

It's at the point now where we can't afford to be letting anyone go, particularly when replacements don't seem forthcoming.

Might as well just put this in every player thread, we can't afford another out going.

It's at the point now where we can't afford to be letting anyone go, particularly when replacements don't seem forthcoming.

I think with Barton, Guthrie, Nolan, Geremi & Butt, centre-midfield is probably the only area of the squad right now where one player sold wouldn't be critical to the squad. It'd preferably be Geremi or Butt, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it was one of the others.

I think with Barton, Guthrie, Nolan, Geremi & Butt, centre-midfield is probably the only area of the squad right now where one player sold wouldn't be critical to the squad. It'd preferably be Geremi or Butt, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it was one of the others.

Out of that list it has to be Geremi though.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/119578/Barton-talk-sours-Robson-memory

BARTON TALK SOURS ROBSON MEMORY

Sunday August 9,2009

By Niall Hickman

A CRYING shame that on the day these two clubs remembered one of the great servants to the game, Sir Bobby Robson, all the talk was yet again of Joey Barton.

Fuck me.

That pathetic article sours Sir Bobbys memory, use that to have a pop at Joey, thr cunt deserves hate mail for the rest of his life.

Try

[email protected]