Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pathetic the reaction after the WBA to him, he's decent with obvious strengths and weaknesses, but is more than good enough to be a squad player here.

He was atrocious on the day and was righly lambasted on here for it. I agree though on his better form, he's a reasonable enough squad player. I dont think he'll ever amount to anything special though.

Pathetic the reaction after the WBA to him, he's decent with obvious strengths and weaknesses, but is more than good enough to be a squad player here.

He's a grown man who pretended to be injured after giving a completely gutless and inept performance, what reaction did you expect?

He's a good central midfielder, the animosity towards him after WBA was uncalled for, despite how poor he was on the day.

No it wasn't, he's looked unmotivated and lack lustre in previous games. Today he actually looked our best midfielder out there which suggests he can only show up in games where the midfield battle is less intense.

How was the midfield battle less intense yesterday?

Spurs are a passing side and they aren't as physical as many premier teams. I had a feeling this game would suit him better before the game, in the same way I thought it wouldn't suit Nolan. To be fair to Guthrie I've not thought much of his previous efforts in midfield but he looked good yesterday.

Thought he contributed in terms of the physical side of things too - harried and hassled Van Der Vaart and Modric well.

That sort of proves my point though. It's easy harrying little squirts like Modric, but up against teams who can give as good as they get he goes all quiet. The annoying thing is he clearly has some football ability if he could up his work rate and show some desire.

Has he scored more than one direct freek kick? I remember him scoring a great one v West Brom but cannot recally any others?

It's really not easy harrying little quirts like Modric, he's a class midfielder and has outplayed many people this season.

Let me put it another way then, Modric doesn't kick back. I don't think Guthrie enjoys the games where opponents are ready to mix it up a bit. My view is Guthrie likes time on the ball and passing teams like Spurs will give you more of it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Had a canny good spell of games lately, had a decent game against Tottenham and was up there with Barton for best player against Fulham. Its interesting comparing Guthrie's and Barton's passing patterns and attempts, very similar viewing. :thup:

In total Joey Barton received 37 passes from his team mates, under lying the high work rate Barton provided from the right of midfield (and later the center of midfield). Danny Guthrie was 2nd with 23 passes received from his team mates (6 of which came from Joey Barton). (telegraph.co.uk)

Danny Guthrie’s (#8) passing over the 74 minutes he was on the pitch, before being replaced, saw him attempting 30 passes, with 23 successful (six unsuccessful) and one assist. Guthrie finished the game with a passing accuracy of 80 % (telegraph.co.uk). While Guthrie may have attempted nearly half the amount of passes that Joey Barton had attempted (Barton’s 63 v Guthrie’s 30), Guthrie did manage to keep most of them successful and set up the goal.

If you compare Barton and Guthrie’s distribution closely, you can see that both players have a very similar spread of passes. With smaller passes happening down the right hand side of the pitch, while longer ambitious balls where hit forward, or towards the left flank. When you link that with Newcastle’s average position chart from the game, you can see why Newcastle favoured attacking down the right flank. Barton, Guthrie and Danny Simpson constantly provided support for each other with good work rate, and off the ball movement.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n203/Chriswok/bartonguthrievspurs.png