Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Howaythetoon

A decent performance but lets not get carried away regarding new contracts and what not. He'd actually be a good player if he had a bit more gusto to his game over an entire 90 minutes. He put in a very good defensive performance today mind, helping protect that back-four and when on the ball he looked to play it forward. Neat and tidy and disciplined I'd say.

Been pleased if not a little surprised with his last couple of games. I wasn't sure we'd see him back in the team again, he just never seemed to be good enough. But fair play to him, he's obviously worked hard and the way he is playing he deserves to get the credit. Well done Danny lad.

He's always had decent skills on the ball and an eye for a pass (and yes he's had a mare or two along the way) but to me he looks physically in far better nick than last season.

Edit: I sort of agree with the post above!

Yep, I'd have been happy to see the back of him, but he's actually been playing fucking great the last two games. Let's hope he keeps it up. Great cover for Cabaye + Tiote should they get injured or when the latter goes away to Africa in Jan.

Guest Heneage

Showed his strengths today and proved he's very calm on the ball. I think he's playing for his next contract, be it with us or somewhere else he clearly wants to sign his next deal on the back of good form. My concern with handing him a deal would be that he doesn't suffer from Viduka syndrome.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

The more he plays the more he seems to overtake Cabaye really. He is capable to spot those cross field passes up the wings.

So does Cabaye.

Showed his strengths today and proved he's very calm on the ball. I think he's playing for his next contract, be it with us or somewhere else he clearly wants to sign his next deal on the back of good form. My concern with handing him a deal would be that he doesn't suffer from Viduka syndrome.

Viduka was an ageing superstar in his 30s and looking for a final payout - Danny Guthrie is a journeyman player who is 24 years old. Big difference.

Viduka was an ageing superstar in his 30s and looking for a final payout - Danny Guthrie is a journeyman player who is 24 years old. Big difference.

journeyman is a bit extreme, he's only had 2 clubs permanently

Guest Heneage

I meant in terms of putting the extra effort in when you're looking for a deal. It's no statement of ability. FWIW I like Guthrie, I see potential but it's whether he can consistently perform is the issue.

journeyman is a bit extreme, he's only had 2 clubs permanently

Fair point - I meant that in the context of his status as a player rather than the number of clubs he's played for.

Viduka was a "big" player with a questionable attitude for many years and Guthrie has to date always tried his best and generally not been a front line player. It's good to see him stepping in and performing, personally I don't think there's much danger of Viduka syndrome.

And Pardew believes the quartet, who have all patiently waited for a chance this term, can be proud of their performances - especially Guthrie.

"I have been saying this for a long time: this is a very good player who happens to be sitting behind two players who could play in any Premier League side at the moment, so he has had it tough," said the boss of former Liverpool midfielder Guthrie.

"He was terrific again today and just showed he is worthy of a start in this team.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20111106/pardews-praise-for-patient-players_2281670_2507079?

"They did absolutely brilliantly, and then at the end, I had a bit of a tough call with that one, Peter (Lovenkrands) or Hatem (Ben Arfa)."

:serious:

Man management ftw.

:thup:

I hope :lol:

"They did absolutely brilliantly, and then at the end, I had a bit of a tough call with that one, Peter (Lovenkrands) or Hatem (Ben Arfa)."

:serious:

Man management ftw.

It's good man management for the squad players and the Lovenkrads, but don't think it's good for HBA's morale. He must be quite surprised to be put in the same bracket as Lovekrads, I hope he is patient and understands that he needs to be eased in. Although that both Obertan and Marveux is out, he should be getting more minutes. It would be wrong to start with Ameobi against City.