Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In terms of position, he's like an Emre to me. Hasn't got it to hold the DM position for any lengthy run of games, but hasn't got it to be running into the box and controlling most aspects of attacking plays. He's got damn good vision on him, and if given enough time on the ball can produce some great moments to get the ball up field and begin an attacking movement at least. That will do a lot of good for us as long as there's other players around to fill the previously mentioned duties.

I would pick him against Man City regardless of Tiote or Cabaye's availability. On the form he showed against Everton, he has to play.

instead of who, one of the strikers and a five man midfield?

I think we'll go for a five man midfield, so in a way, I think Pardew will be spared the tricky decision.

But my point was that I don't see Guthrie as just a back-up any more. I would not drop him just to pitch either Tiote or Cabaye back in the side, unless his form dips.

I would pick him against Man City regardless of Tiote or Cabaye's availability. On the form he showed against Everton, he has to play.

Wouldn't go that far. If a reserve comes in and performs well it's great and obviously helps his cause, but I don't think it means he automatically should start. Especially since he only played in the first place due to injury.

Assuming Best, Marveaux and Obertan all miss out, but Cabaye and Tiote are fit, I can still see Guthrie getting a game.  Just hope it isn't wide right, would rather HBA, Santon or even Sammy started out wide ahead of him.

Cabaye wasn't that effective when playing further forward in a 5 man midfield against the mackems, but it was only his second league game.

Santon/HBA    Guthrie  Tiote    Jonas

Cabaye

Ba

Guest ToonUltra

Considering how much the FM team at Sega are deep into their research, they have got him on £5k a week on the game....

Short to what i actually expected. Was think maybe £15-20k.....

Considering how much the FM team at Sega are deep into their research, they have got him on £5k a week on the game....

Short to what i actually expected. Was think maybe £15-20k.....

Think his earnings were revealed in court when he was facing a driving ban. A year or two back I think, but it was reported as £4k a week!

He pretended to be injured against WBA, that's what angered folk.

Think it was more cos he had a stinker. If it was what you said, it's a bit daft. He'd hardly be the first player to feign an injury after a monumental cock-up. The words Steven Taylor sniper spring to mind.

Wouldn't go that far. If a reserve comes in and performs well it's great and obviously helps his cause, but I don't think it means he automatically should start. Especially since he only played in the first place due to injury.

Guthrie has waited for his chance and when it came along, took it with flying colours. I think it's vital that every player gets the message that if they play well enough, they get their reward, and the team is picked on merit, not reputation. I always felt that the period where Shearer was getting picked regardless of performance was very corrosive of team spirit.

Players have to be judged on the performance that we see, not the one we expect to see. Personally, I'd written Guthrie off as a long-term prospect for us, but he played with such calm authority against Stoke and Everton. Perhaps he's responding to a different atmosphere in the squad, but whatever the reason it does look like he's found a confidence and maturity that wasn't there before.

I was really impressed with his movement, quick passing - example being the Heitinga own goal movement.  He picked up the ball, passed it - then I believe received it again and made a very clever move away from the Everton marker, and played a nice ball into space to keep the play moving to Simpson.

I've always had a soft spot for him as he would pop up with some great performances and would score some crackers with that right foot of his.

Hope he signs and continues on, hes a wonderful player for our squad.

Guthrie has waited for his chance and when it came along, took it with flying colours. I think it's vital that every player gets the message that if they play well enough, they get their reward, and the team is picked on merit, not reputation. I always felt that the period where Shearer was getting picked regardless of performance was very corrosive of team spirit.

Players have to be judged on the performance that we see, not the one we expect to see. Personally, I'd written Guthrie off as a long-term prospect for us, but he played with such calm authority against Stoke and Everton. Perhaps he's responding to a different atmosphere in the squad, but whatever the reason it does look like he's found a confidence and maturity that wasn't there before.

That approach would generally be good when a squad player comes in due to a first team player being out of form and if the squad player performs, yes then he should keep his place in the team. But if the squad comes in due to injury or suspension, then he should not just get to keep his place unless he actually outperformed the first team players when he replaced them. Guthrie played well but his performance was not better than Tiote or Cabaye before they went off injured so once they are fit, they should start simply because they are the best midfielders we have.

I know what you mean, but Tiote and Cabaye had performed very well and are clearly better players. It makes no sense to drop either of them.

We want to keep Guthrie motivated, but that needs to done by praising him when he does well and relying on him without question when he's needed. And yes, if someone's form dips he should come in. But right now I wouldn't leave him in when Tiote and Cabaye are fit.

Good news, complete forgot about that other stuff that's happening..

Still never understood this "set to", like they journalist is sitting in the room and they are slowing passing over a contract to Guthrie's agent "ok, hang on, nearly with ya..."

Good news, complete forgot about that other stuff that's happening..

Still never understood this "set to", like they journalist is sitting in the room and they are slowing passing over a contract to Guthrie's agent "ok, hang on, nearly with ya..."

It means they've heard a rumour and have to fill column inches when nothing has actually happened yet.