Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I wouldn't be dropping Guthrie even with Tiote back, he's simply playing too well.

Drop Cabaye? Weaker of the two right now. Could stick Guthrie out wide, not natural but it at least gets Obertan out of the line-up, medium sized mercy.

God no. If the only way to get Obertan out of the team is sticking Guthrie out there, I'd rather just keep lightbulb head out there. Keep Guthrie in the middle if we're going to keep him in the team.

We need a tiote type player in the middle.

Against top 4 sides, definitely but against the rest I think we'll be ok with Cabaye and Guthrie. What they lack in steel, they make up for in inventiveness. We have far bigger problems in other areas, especially with Taylor and Colo out.

Against top 4 sides, definitely but against the rest I think we'll be ok with Cabaye and Guthrie. What they lack in steel, they make up for in inventiveness. We have far bigger problems in other areas, especially with Taylor and Colo out.

I think we get far more out of Cabaye with Tiote on the pitch.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Grateful for what he's given since Cheick's been out, but why the hell does he run out of steam after 80 minutes each time?

I agree we'll be fine against most sides with those two, however Tiote and Cabaye should remain our first choice from what i've seen in the last few weeks.

I agree we'll be fine against most sides with those two, however Tiote and Cabaye should remain our first choice from what i've seen in the last few weeks.

No doubt, but I'm not too concerned when he's missing as I was previously.

Really nice watching him and cabaye drive balls across the pitch with ease, both lovely passers of the ball.

Done well with his time in, really good bonus to have a player who can come in if Cabaye/tiote cant for whatever reason.

Guest Minusmensch

Another great match by Guthrie. How the hell did he become this good? Fuck me, weird! He and Cabaye seems to be a perfect match, to be honest. Cabaye's work rate, perfect play and stuff and Guthries passing. Not as high good rate and a little slower than Cabaye, but he's proper mint nowdays. Would kill to see him and Cabaye play with Tiote a little behind them. Think that could be good.

At this moment of time guthrie > cabaye.

I actually agree with that, but I think there's an element of misfortune to it on Cabaye's part in that it's probably easier for him to know his role with Tiote alongside him. Cabaye's doing a lot of running around at present and trying a bit too hard to get forward, and I'm not convinced he's entirely comfortable. Meanwhile Guthrie is sat in there, getting on the ball all the time and being able to dictate play. Doing Cabaye's job, basically.

hasn't it dawned on anyone yet that the fantastic passing was all 30yd balls to our wide men (or rather obertan and raylor), technically good passes but thats what chelsea wanted, they actually let us do that and we fell for it every time. there wasn't an incisive pass through the middle even on the rare occasions when there was a move for it., neither guthrie nor cabaye made any sort of move forward and there were gaps there. if in this partnership cabaye is to be the one holding then guthrie has to use the ball better and be more mobile.

the lack in that duo is that none of them got the pace and dribbling skills to get past a midfield trio of chelsea or city. Can't really remember how it went in the midfield battle at manu though. However, with a midfield trio they could easily go up against their midfield together and providing options to eachother with wingers cutting inside aswell. Could be an interesting thought. As both of them got a good shot on them and can pick a great pass when needed.

Also late in the game today they did pass it through middle, more because we had a forward duo instead of a single forward. HBA kept his time hiding behind romeu.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I actually agree with that, but I think there's an element of misfortune to it on Cabaye's part in that it's probably easier for him to know his role with Tiote alongside him. Cabaye's doing a lot of running around at present and trying a bit too hard to get forward, and I'm not convinced he's entirely comfortable. Meanwhile Guthrie is sat in there, getting on the ball all the time and being able to dictate play. Doing Cabaye's job, basically.

:thup:

:thup:

Totally agree - Guthrie is always the one picking up the short ball from the back four at the moment. If Tiote was in the side then Cabaye would be doing that a lot more. That said I wouldn't want to knock Guthrie at the moment, he's been excellent.

Guthrie was one of our better players today I thought. It's good to see him being consistent performance-wise. Long may it continue while he's in the side. As harsh as it is though, I'd bring Tiote back in.

Him and Cabaye in the middle today was probably one of the reasons why Mata and Lampard struggled today.