Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Was impressed with him during Tiote's absense, but yesterday I thought he was crap.  Took far too long on the ball, and off the ball he was pointless, has a few games left now to earn himself a deal and needs to pull his finger out a bit.

Think he'll wait and see if we qualify for Europe. If we do so, we're going to need a bigger squad, and he'll get more time on the pitch.

I'm not fussed either way tbh. Don't think he's a great deal better than our other back-up midfielders, and think we'll sign someone better anyway...or at least someone who'll take his place as 3rd choice.

He needs to go. He's been here for a long time and, for one reason or another, hasn't done enough to justify a new contract.

Similarly to Lovenkrands, Best and Smith, we should be using his place in the squad with a player with potential who could go on to be far better than the players they're replacing.

We were 3rd after 11 games with Best in the team. When are you going to abandon this pathetic little vendetta?

This one needs to go, that one needs to go. Get real.

In my opinion there isn't a huge difference between cabaye and guthrie. During the course of a whole season, I wudnt be suprised to see guthrie chip in with more goals and assists than cabaye. However, cabaye has only been here a year.

Guest neesy111

Obviously a number of players are replaceable, it's getting players who are better than those.

Smith & Lovenkrands are clearly gone in the summer.

Don't think he's as bad as some people make out of his off the ball endeavors, he does work hard and put in some superb tackles in yesterday.  His natural fitness obviously not quite as great as others in the squad.

He is at an age when he needs to play, definitely won't be here next season, he knows Pardew see him as second fiddle to Tiote and Cabaye, plus he knows Pardew favours the 4 man midfield formation so his chances will be minimal.

He deserves to move and get some regular football,  Good luck to the boy.

He needs to go. He's been here for a long time and, for one reason or another, hasn't done enough to justify a new contract.

Similarly to Lovenkrands, Best and Smith, we should be using his place in the squad with a player with potential who could go on to be far better than the players they're replacing.

We were 3rd after 11 games with Best in the team. When are you going to abandon this pathetic little vendetta?

This one needs to go, that one needs to go. Get real.

Trollbot.

For the record, I've no idea what you're talking about.

Guest icemanblue

Would be an amazing 5-a-side player.

In my experience the best 5 a side players are the fittest.

Oh, right, sorry. I'll concede the point to your greater experience. :lol:

Guest Shaun

That's not true. I never even move.

Not remotely surprised if he's had enough. He deserves to be in the team after his performances earlier in the year. Bit of a pisstake how he was immediately lynched the moment an under-performing Cabaye came back. He'll be a good player for someone.

^this.

Not remotely surprised if he's had enough. He deserves to be in the team after his performances earlier in the year. Bit of a pisstake how he was immediately lynched the moment an under-performing Cabaye came back. He'll be a good player for someone.

^this.

The stick Pardew got for Taylor & Obertan ahead of HBA, imagine what it would have been like if Guthrie had kept Cabaye out man. :lol:

^this.

The stick Pardew got for Taylor & Obertan ahead of HBA, imagine what it would have been like if Guthrie had kept Cabaye out man. :lol:

well Pardew didnt give two tosses for the s*** he got over Obertan starting,  so he would equally have had no problems starting guth over cabaye if he felt in favour of Guth.

dont think crowd favourites had any bearing on Guth being dropped.  More like manager's favourite and neglection of player's form.

Guest icemanblue

Oh, right, sorry. I'll concede the point to your greater experience. :lol:

I didn't say it was greater! Bitch.

Nice one.

I would like to re-sign him, but not going to be particularly disappointed if we don't. Would be useful to have for Europe, but if he really is going to get upset for being dropped behind two clearly better players then that's frustrating. He's a nice option, but nothing more.

In my opinion there isn't a huge difference between cabaye and guthrie. During the course of a whole season, I wudnt be suprised to see guthrie chip in with more goals and assists than cabaye. However, cabaye has only been here a year.

He's not anywhere the athlete Cabaye is. Not as disciplined without possession. When he's bad, he's a liability to the whole side. Now, he is a good player and I would like him to stay but he's a distance away from being as good as Yohan.

Just to pick up the Cabaye/Guthrie debate from pre match. Imo today the key difference is Guthrie always seems to want too much time right in the middle of the pitch where it's tight, similarly to how Tiote plays sometimes but without the physical strength and quickness over two yards to recover. Cabaye has a much better appreciation of what's around him, and his work off the ball is streets ahead.

An unsung hero again :thup: Really think he's earned his place in the starting XI. Shame he'll be gone next season.

With the formation were playing he will be starting so he might as well stay, he played a lot this season and if we hopefully get to europe he'll play more..no reason for him to leave really.

I know I'm a Guthrie fanboy, but I really think he's important and contributes heavily to our style of play.

Sounds mad and overly optimistic, but if he gets injured for a while it could be a blessing in disguise. He's in the team currently, and if that's how his season ends he might decide to stay.