Eight points better off...

Optimistic Nut

Would of been even better if Brentford and Sunderland swapped places, I wounder how things would be now if they did, would they of still got back to where they are, or would they of ended up into nothingness?

The last time we got promoted from this division I think we won our first 10 games. I don't think we finished champions even then ridiculous though that now seems.

hells teeth, yes we did we actually won 11 out of 11, then lost to Grimsby at home with a stupid long rang effort from a lad called Jobson or Dobson.

Dave Bessent was in goal and had a canny game

From the top of my head it was Jim Dobbin and it was at home as well. Also, Beasant not Bessent - overrated.

I was at every match as well cp40, the best footballing memories of my life were contained in that season.....

...mackems singing where's your record gone at 1-1, then Liam'O stepped up....

....filling half of the Peterbrough ground with about 9,000 of us in the record breaking run...

...Notts County away watching a lad take 5 steps at a time, hurdle the ad hoarding and jump into Peacock's arms after his goal (one of our most underrated players ever, was wor Gav)...

.....dodge a good kicking at Miwawl..and somgside in the CC Cup....

....watching the Anglo-Italian cup game at Grimsby eating fish and chips on the terrace with literally another 20 people and offering giving Quinny a chip when he scored...

...being first in the queue and camping overnight for FA cup Blackburn ticket (spoke to John Hall who came to see us and KK)

...returning to Grimsby on that Tuesday night to watch us win it...

and THAT Leicester game (revenge for the disgraceful scenes down at Filbert St the season before which Bill Borrows the f***ing t*** blamed us for, Man City supporting cock end)...at which, I believe the Andy Cole made it's full debut.

That was a complete one off, memories that could not be recreated - any young'uns reading this create your memories and treasure them, I was 16 then and loved it.

I think Cole had played quite a few games by then - I remember his first goal at SJP being on a Saturday afternoon(was it Brentford, when Rob Lee had that amazing 'goal' from the half-way line ruled out !??).

Cole also scored at Grimsby I think(with Kelly getting No 2).

The Leicester 7-1 was the first game that the 'Andy Cole Song' was really heard at length('He gets the ball and.....!!!')

We won that league (known as Div 1 then) at Grimsby a couple of games before the end.

Finishing with the 7-1 win over Leicester.

Which was live on Tyne Tees.

can anyone remeber the surreal atmosphere against oxford on the thursday night after Grimsby, the tannoy announced the name of a Bloke who had locked his wife out the house, the crowd fell silent, everyone looking around... :shifty:... and this bloke ran down the steps of the east stand, raised his hand, to jeering from most of the crowd. bluelaugh.gif

We won that league (known as Div 1 then) at Grimsby a couple of games before the end.

Finishing with the 7-1 win over Leicester.

Which was live on Tyne Tees.

can anyone remeber the surreal atmosphere against oxford on the thursday night after Grimsby, the tannoy announced the name of a Bloke who had locked his wife out the house, the crowd fell silent, everyone looking around... :shifty:... and this bloke ran down the steps of the east stand, raised his hand, to jeering from most of the crowd. bluelaugh.gif

I vaguely remeber the Oxford game, I think I was in the centre paddock for that one, didn't they give us a guard of honour. First and last time I'd seen us receive that.

On the subject of this thread. I'm still pissed off we didn't beat Brom tbh. Although they created a few chances we were the better team that day and could easily have won it.

We didnt fill half of Pboro's ground that season

I was there and it seemed to me that we pretty much did.

They had 2 end stands of equal size, we had 1 each. Then we had half of their main stand as well. We had nobody in the stand opposite the main one but it was just a tiny strip that held practically no-one.

Was my first ever away game. Got some awesome memories of that season.

nope, cole got his first in the game after brentford, it was against notts county @ st james :)

i remember the programme having a poster of him in the new asics training top

Yes, you are right - remember it now, he turned quickly and smashed the ball into the roof of the net..yes?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Geordiesned

I was at that game. It was probably responsible for the tournament ceasing to exist after a huge fight involving all 22 players and most of the coaching staff!

Since Big rons post he has learned how to use IIRC as a fail safe

It's based on the game at Blackburn where our title hopes went up in smoke. There was a lass in the crowd who burst into tears and Sky Sports zoomed in after Shearer scored the winner for Blackburn IIRC.

nope, cole got his first in the game after brentford, it was against notts county @ st james :)

i remember the programme having a poster of him in the new asics training top

Yes, you are right - remember it now, he turned quickly and smashed the ball into the roof of the net..yes?

that was the one :)

It's based on the game at Blackburn where our title hopes went up in smoke. There was a lass in the crowd who burst into tears and Sky Sports zoomed in after Shearer scored the winner for Blackburn IIRC.

This guy is a walking facepalm isn't he

This guy is a walking facepalm isn't he

Absolutely done me in this post like, i cant stop laughing!!!