Newcastle v Huddersfield 26/08/09 - Pre Match Thread

Fatwax

Play the reserve/academy team.

We have bigger fish to fry and the sooner we are out of this compo the better. I also don't like the idea of Huddersfield out to prove a point and injuring our players after the last game.

I've never understood this mentality. Sure, there's the consolation of "being able to focus on the league", but by no means can I see it being particularly better if you were knocked out. A premiership team in the 3rd round (if you get through) could for example give you a test to see what sort of level you're at. And besides, a decent cup run will only raise spirits surely.

I would agree however to playing some of the younger lads.

Normally I would agree with you, these are extenuating circumstances. We have a very small squad (that will probably get smaller) and we have over 40 games ahead of us. If we have a good cup run we'll just have that many more games with more opportunities for injuries and exhaustion (especially for our older players that fade badly when played more than a week in a row - Butt and Geremi). If we had a manager and were bringing in as many players as are leaving then I would be all for winning in all matches... but we don't.

All the people saying play a weakened team seeming to forget the first team is all we have :lol:

Well what I meant was like play Kadar and Tozer at the back, and Ranger and LuaLua...

Yeah. I mean, the 7 subs today would be decent in the first XI allowing seven players to have a break.

I'd be tempted to try something different just for the hell of it against this lot

Krul

Simpson  Taylor  Coloccini  Enrique

Guthrie  Barton*  Lua Lua

Vukic  Xisco  Ranger

*Nolan if not fit

Think it's important not to lose the momentum that we've got, but also think it's important that some of our raw youngsters get some first team experience as we're going to need them later in the season, so I'd play a couple (Ranger, Kadar, etc), but I'd not want to put out the reserve side or anything like that.

I'd like to try and fit Ryan Donaldson into the team. The likes of himself, Lua Lua, Krul, Kadar, Tozer, Ranger and Danquah should all be played in this game. As well as Xisco.

I'd like to see us line up:

------------Krul-------------

--Simpson---Tozer--Taylor--Kadar--

---Donaldson--Butt--Guthrie--Lua Lua--

-----------Ranger---Danquah/Xisco--

We need to keep our key players fresh because with such a small squad and so many games to play in this division we will start to fall away from the leading pack if we get a few injuries and suspensions.

Normally I always want to see us do well in the league cup but this year under our circumstances I think we should put this on the back burner. Although I'd still be quite disappointed to lose at home to Huddersfield in the first round, like.

I feel we are capable of beating Huddersfield with that team, despite Clarky possessing a strong side. Lets hope we come through unscathed and keep the momentum going!

Howay the lads!

If we play Tozer and kadar in the defence, surely we're going to get beat, no?

We'll never know how good they are at this level until we try them out. Kadar seems a fairly impressive talent although I'm not sure about Tozer as I've never seen him play. Having Steven Taylor alongside Tozer would be helpful.

Both look bloody woeful to me. It's imperative that we keep the current defence together and bring in reinforcements

How can you say Kadar looks woeful? He's been cracking for the reserves when he's been fit. One bad game (possibly as I didn't see it) against Leeds and all of a sudden he's shit? Tozer, I'll give you. Haven't been impressed by him. Kadar on the other hand looks the real deal to me.