Famous Newcastle Fans

cubaricho

That you've probably heard of: Tony Blair and Sting. Although neither are what you'd call fanatics.  O0

Tony Blair's claim to be a Newcastle fan is about as genuine as everything else he utters. i.e.Total c--p..

He said he used to 'watch Jackie Milburn while sitting in the Popular side'...everyone knows there were NO SEATS there before the East Stand was built...he said this at a time when we were supposed to be every fans' 'Second Team' because he thought it might be worth a few votes in 97..Oh wait - so THAT'S why he got in..!!

I think the problem was more that Blair was too young to have seen Jackie Milburn.

That you've probably heard of: Tony Blair and Sting. Although neither are what you'd call fanatics.  O0

Tony Blair's claim to be a Newcastle fan is about as genuine as everything else he utters. i.e.Total c--p..

He said he used to 'watch Jackie Milburn while sitting in the Popular side'...everyone knows there were NO SEATS there before the East Stand was built...he said this at a time when we were supposed to be every fans' 'Second Team' because he thought it might be worth a few votes in 97..Oh wait - so THAT'S why he got in..!!

Urban myth, tbh.

i've seen machinehead's guitarist phil demmel wearing a newcastle shirt a canny few times at gigs, even ones down south / in the states.

I know he wore a Toon shirt when they played Newcastle. Not sure about elsewhere, like.

I heard Cardinal Hume on the radio once, talking about the club. It wasn''t that long before he died, mid-late 90s. He seemed up to speed with whatever was going on at the time. Unlike Blair, who's basically clueless.

Mind you Blair was better at head keepies up (with Keegan) as Cardinal Hume would have had great difficulty when wearing that hat thing. :angel:

i've seen machinehead's guitarist phil demmel wearing a newcastle shirt a canny few times at gigs, even ones down south / in the states.

I know he wore a Toon shirt when they played Newcastle. Not sure about elsewhere, like.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2448/3619750597_ac9aeb8491.jpg

i'm sure i remember seeing a video of them with him wearing the 03-05 home shirt at some point too

Isn't Norman Wisdom a toon fan? Sure I've seen it alluded to on nufc.com before. Jimmy Adams the Windies cricketer is as well.

reply no19.

he's a long time toon fan.

can anybody remember the match, think it was in the 80s when Norman wisdom was running round the pitch at half time?

Tony Blair, defo... his famous qoute about sitting in the gallowgate when it was terraces....proves what a great fan he was... he was obviously with us during the sit down protests.

This has been dubunked by Madras on page 2, the original interview with Blair was misquoted and is an urban myth

the radio interview has finally been unearthed from the BBC archives, and shows that Blair was, in fact, misquoted: he never mentions sitting, and claims his time as a supporter "came just after Jackie Milburn".

Concludes Oborne: "There is abundant evidence that Blair is a liar, but on this occasion he is completely in the clear, and can be exonerated."

While it doesn't exactly prove he is a Toon fan, it does prove that he didn't say what everyone says he said.

Tony Blair, defo... his famous qoute about sitting in the gallowgate when it was terraces....proves what a great fan he was... he was obviously with us during the sit down protests.

keep up man. debunked on previous pages man.

we'll put it down to pre-match tension eh ?

keep up man. debunked on previous pages man.

we'll put it down to pre-match tension eh ?

or not arsing to read previous pages again.

Isn't Norman Wisdom a toon fan? Sure I've seen it alluded to on nufc.com before. Jimmy Adams the Windies cricketer is as well.

reply no19.

he's a long time toon fan.

can anybody remember the match, think it was in the 80s when Norman wisdom was running round the pitch at half time?

Man United at home in 87 I think (on my 14th birthday) We won 2-1, with Goddard getting the winner. Was a full house, and 10000 fans rumoured to be locked out. I remember seeing folk in the trees in Leazes park, as well as on top of the Uni dorms, next to the East Stand.

Brian Blessed is also a massive Newcastle fan. He met Jackie Milburn on a family holiday up here as a kid and it did it for him.

Alright, I am "relatively" new to the Newcastle fan-dom - having become a fan of Newcastle in '02.  Who are the "famous" NUFC fans? 

Tonight I went to the Frightened Rabbit show here in Orlando and apparently one of the guitarists (Billy Kennedy) is a huge NUFC fan (according to a dude in We Were Promised Jetpacks).  I consider this dude "famous" because their band will be huge after the release of their next album.

Who else is there that I wouldn't already know?

What the hell. I saw Frightened Rabbit at my freshers week (in Edinburgh) 2 years ago, and there were seriously no more than 12 people watching. They kept making sarcastic remarks about it and gave out CDs at the end. I thought they werre just another unsigned band, no idea they'd be playing US etc.!  I think they're Glasweigan though...

They are.  I didn't get the specifics on how/why he was a fan as the bar was closing and the bouncers were shuffling everyone out.  As far as playing in the US, this was their first tour and apparently the stop last night had the most people (about 350) and they were blown away by it.  I think they're on the cusp.

A good friend of mine had spent an afternoon drinking on Pink lane and was walking back up the Westgate Hill and Norman Wisdom walked past....

Apparently he has an old war buddy living there. I would imagine that's where the (alleged) allegiance comes from.

Mr Grimsdale?

A good friend of mine had spent an afternoon drinking on Pink lane and was walking back up the Westgate Hill and Norman Wisdom walked past....

Apparently he has an old war buddy living there. I would imagine that's where the (alleged) allegiance comes from.

No - from his own mouth on the subject - he said when he was at the top of his movie fame, his housekeeper was a geordie, and Newcastle fan. He thought the world of her, and started identifying with NUFC too.