Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Nowt better than a classic Giggs.

I fear that one day I'll meet him and I'll just punch him the face because of that damn smiley.

Schalke are indefinitely retiring their number 7 jersey and arranging a testimonial for Raúl's TWO seasons in Gelsenkirchen.

What a farce  :lol: there for 2 seasons and you get your number retired and a testimonial all after he turns his back on you for a pay day.....

This is like Inter giving Eto'o a testimonial and retiring his money  :lol:

Premier League need to do NBA.TV type of deal, they'd make a fortune.

:thup: They'll give up on the no televised 3pm kick off crap as soon as they've finalised a plan like this. At least I fucking hope they do.

Definitely, English football is way behind on this. I would definitely pay for a legal high-quality way to watch our games. Move with the times people.

Pretty much. Give the people what they want and I'm sure they'd pay for it (most already do and the Premier League aren't even providing the streams). Grow the sport rather than being so protective about it.

NBA allow highlights posted all over youtube. I can't say for sure why they allow this though I believe they want word of mouth and fan interaction to help the sport grow.

Exactly, they want to promote their product basically. I don't get why English football is still so protectionist really. I guess they couldn't charge one website (like they do with Yahoo) if they were giving the footage away to YouTube, but it's a short sighted view IMO.

I guess I can understand why they're slow to change, their best source of revenue is their TV rights. But it must be possible to come up with a modern system that works for the fans.

I do think it's a situation like music where if professional leagues don't get out in front as quickly as possible, people will become accustomed to finding free ways to stream a premium product and won't go back.  It's not like that isn't already happening...

The NBA and MLB have done very well in promoting their products and getting them available to as many different devices and formats as possible (although they still restrict viewership of local teams if you are within the local television viewing area).  And they're aggressive in getting their highlights out - whether through a YouTube deal or through a league-branded embeddable video player.  The Premier League could certainly do that at the very least.  But the ridiculous restrictions on things as simple as fixture lists tells me they've got a long way to go to be progressive enough to see the value in legal online viewership.  Why they wouldn't want as many people to print and discuss the upcoming matches is totally beyond me. 

I do think it's a situation like music where if professional leagues don't get out in front as quickly as possible, people will become accustomed to finding free ways to stream a premium product and won't go back.  It's not like that isn't already happening...

The NBA and MLB have done very well in promoting their products and getting them available to as many different devices and formats as possible (although they still restrict viewership of local teams if you are within the local television viewing area).  And they're aggressive in getting their highlights out - whether through a YouTube deal or through a league-branded embeddable video player.  The Premier League could certainly do that at the very least.  But the ridiculous restrictions on things as simple as fixture lists tells me they've got a long way to go to be progressive enough to see the value in legal online viewership.  Why they wouldn't want as many people to print and discuss the upcoming matches is totally beyond me. 

:thup:

Rather than spending their time trying to grow the sport by making it more accessible, they seem to be happy to milk the current fan-base for all that they're worth. It might work in the short term, but over the next 30 years or so.. who knows.

Isn't it mostly about the effect on attendances?  If 14 out of 20 clubs decide they're not arsed about that anymore and want the extra TV revenue then it will happen, it would be an absolute piece of piss for Sky to implement.

Isn't it mostly about the effect on attendances?  If 14 out of 20 clubs decide they're not arsed about that anymore and want the extra TV revenue then it will happen, it would be an absolute piece of piss for Sky to implement.

I think that's the line they peddle, but I can't say I've ever been hugely convinced. In the US they often have local "blackouts" on games if the stadium doesn't sell out / reach x% attendance.

It is about tradition and ostensibly attendance as well, although the anemic attendances at some grounds tells you it doesn't matter a bit about TV.  If the football is compelling and the match worth watching and the tickets reasonably priced), people will go.  There is nothing like a matchday atmosphere.  You might have to lower ticket prices, but people will show up.  It is in their blood. 

Clubs will have to adapt to the changing reality of easy online availability.  If you give your customers options to view legally, reliably, and easily (rather than illegally, unreliably, and difficult), you will make money.  Streaming video is never going away.  So you can accept it and use it to your advantage or you can fight it, have it cannibalise your business, and lose money in the process.

I think that's the line they peddle, but I can't say I've ever been hugely convinced. In the US they often have local "blackouts" on games if the stadium doesn't sell out / reach x% attendance.

They do use local blackouts in the NFL if the stadium isn't 98% sold out 48 hours before kickoff (although sometimes they allow exceptions).

The NBA and MLB also use your IP address to determine your locality, then restrict you from viewing your local team's games online.  It's their way of trying to encourage people to either attend in person or watch it on the respective local cable channel.  It's much easier to do this in the US, of course, with the spread-out geography.  I can imagine it might be much tougher to implement in England.  Probably not a viable option.  But the blackout thing, maybe.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I've already got used to finding a stream of any live game I want to see TBH, they need to be very much aware of this trend.

Its ok, mate, I've emailed the Premier League with your details. Watch your letterbox.  :bluestar:

:huff:

Norwich really f***ed this up. This is a PR disaster, there is no reason why this young man should be made to apologise let alone have criminal charges brought against him. WTF, the local officials should tell Norwich to f*ck off and apologise to this supporter not the other way around.

Didn't Grant Holt tweet a photo of it as well?

Flights to Munich from Glasgow return are only £80 for the weekend of the champs league final.....

Would it be fun just hanging about the stadium and watching it in a munich bar (providing Bayern beat Real)? Game costs like £1000+ and I'm super poor.

I can't remember the name of it, but there's a bar in Munich that's got a Didi Hamann Newcastle shirt, framed on the wall.

How is it distributed? Hope it's not spanish style

Supposedly its distrubuted across the top 2 leagues and theres rules in place that prevent stuff like what happens in La Liga in Germany......

Anyway this is fantastics new to me, i greatly enjoy Bundesliga and its fantastically run league and as competitive as any in europe but what it lacks is the exposure and money of the other top leagues.

This tv deal solves the money side to an extent and hopefully they can market it better in the future.

One of the reasons PL is so successful and loved through out the world is because of how well its marketed, hopefully Bundesliga can marketed in similar fashion in the future.

Also yh considering this is a Sky tv deal would this mean that Skysports would show it in this country?

Asked the same myself earlier in the thread... Got a feeling that Sky uk won't be showing the Bundesliga... Would be great to hear otherwise though if anyone knows?...

7/14 still at the club, of which 2 barely have not featured at all this season and one with about 5 minutes of first team football is out on loan. So really, 4/14.

I'll not have a bad word said about Fitz Hall, either. He was just the job for the last few months of the Championship season.